Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital galleries  (Read 2368 times)

churly

Digital galleries
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:30 am »

A couple of days ago I caught the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibit at the ROM in Toronto.  As expected, a bunch of oustanding images shot wih quite a range of equipment.  What I didn't expect is that it was all displayed on LCD displays (backlit) rather than prints.  It looked like a pretty expensive installation.  I liked the luminance of the the backlight but missed the art of the print.  Coming to homes soon?
Chuck Hurich

Rob C

Re: Digital galleries
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:00 pm »

A couple of days ago I caught the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibit at the ROM in Toronto.  As expected, a bunch of oustanding images shot wih quite a range of equipment.  What I didn't expect is that it was all displayed on LCD displays (backlit) rather than prints.  It looked like a pretty expensive installation.  I liked the luminance of the the backlight but missed the art of the print.  Coming to homes soon?

Maybe a sign of the times; I haven't printed anything in months, despite having a nice machine and too much expensive German paper sitting doing nothing...

It's not even as if I haven't got anything to print that I quite like; it just all suddenly feels redundant.

I recently lost my BBC tv possibility because of a change in signal footprint; after initial panic, I reached a point where I no longer gave a damn anymore. So much of contemporary necessity is actually a crock of. Boy, it takes a long time to find that out.

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:04:57 pm »

The writting has been on the wall for a long time.

Now, galleries commiting to this are still taking a significant risk:
- very high initial investement,
- very dynamic hardware market results in the lifecycle of screens to be pretty short (the next gallery will have better screens within a few months),
- limited choice of artists willing to display their art on such a media,
- limited numbers of buyers able to display the art they would have bought in identical conditions at home,
- lack of suitable framework in terms of intellectual property,

But all that will be fixed as we go.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 03:42:09 am »

The writting has been on the wall for a long time.

Now, galleries commiting to this are still taking a significant risk:
- very high initial investement,
- very dynamic hardware market results in the lifecycle of screens to be pretty short (the next gallery will have better screens within a few months),
- limited choice of artists willing to display their art on such a media,
- limited numbers of buyers able to display the art they would have bought in identical conditions at home,
- lack of suitable framework in terms of intellectual property,

But all that will be fixed as we go.

Cheers,
Bernard

And there I have to differ: how can an art collector ever own something that he can't hold in his hands, should he wish to risk it, which isn't the case with money in the bank? That can still disappear, but it's in a different compartment of life, and part of the reason why art is collected as a hedge against that possibility: it doesn't disappear unless stolen. Of course, it might still degenerate, but not usually within the lifetime of its original buyer, so risk on that count isn't his...

Physical things, importantly, have presence, surely one of the prerequisites of collection of things?

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:02:32 am »

. . .display their art on such a media,

No reflection on you, Bernard, because everybody seems to be doing it, but isn't Latin taught in schools any longer? "Media" is plural! There's no such thing as "a media."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:48:11 am »

No reflection on you, Bernard, because everybody seems to be doing it, but isn't Latin taught in schools any longer? "Media" is plural! There's no such thing as "a media."

Trouble is, Russ, folks might think that you might think that they are talking about ESP etc.

Sometimes, you just can't win! Having said which, and à propos of not a lot, I'm really enjoying finding Internet links to Jay Maisel. I wonder why it is that I find snappers of around my own age, or older, the most interesting group of all? Perhaps because I perceive them as the original thinkers or visionaries that the rest of the world's snappers has copìed as best it can?

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:02 am »

You are right, my mistake.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 12:50:42 pm »

Can't see anyone paying $1000 for a digital file...
Carpe lucem

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »

You are right, my mistake.

Cheers,
Bernard

Sorry, Bernard, but sometimes, as Charlie Brown often says, "I can't stand it!" I have a problem with all sorts of things such as "a media," "a data," and somebody, other than a hen, "'laying' in the grass or in the hammock."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 05:10:06 pm »

Sorry, Bernard, but sometimes, as Charlie Brown often says, "I can't stand it!" I have a problem with all sorts of things such as "a media," "a data," and somebody, other than a hen, "'laying' in the grass or in the hammock."

Russ, my wife would have loved you! To your list she'd have added the misuse of who and whom. She wouldn't have believed the boobs with 'there and their' anymore than with 'than and then', either.

Equally, she never sent an e-mail and insisted on speaking with the family instead, telling me that within five seconds of connecting she would know absolutely whether things were fine with them or not, regardless of what they may have been trying to convey and/or hide. All the time we were together I never felt the need to consult a dictionary: I'd call out a word from the office here, and as long as I made no audible attempt to spell it myself first, she'd automatically supply the correct spelling without losing her place in her book. Wonderful lady.

Some of us have been truly blessed.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 05:11:34 pm »

Can't see anyone paying $1000 for a digital file...

Certainly not for one of a picture with no value beyond decoration.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up