Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X100 for landscape  (Read 4405 times)

alex16510

X100 for landscape
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:31:03 am »

Hi !
I have bought X-Pro1 + 35 mm.
In april i will go to Himalaya and want to buy wide-angle lens.
Native XF 14 mm is a very good lens, but very expensive.
Is 23 mm suitable as wide-angle lens ?

Can I use x100 with its 23 mm lens for landscape exposure?
Some variants with adapted lens ?

Thank you.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: X100 for landscape
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:45:10 am »

I've got a X100s, and I find it fine for landscapes. Once you accept that you've got a fixed focal length to play with, and start composing your shots accordingly, it's fine.

alex16510

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:06:30 am »

I've got a X100s, and I find it fine for landscapes. Once you accept that you've got a fixed focal length to play with, and start composing your shots accordingly, it's fine.

Thak you for your answer !

chez

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:32:33 am »

Hi !
I have bought X-Pro1 + 35 mm.
In april i will go to Himalaya and want to buy wide-angle lens.
Native XF 14 mm is a very good lens, but very expensive.
Is 23 mm suitable as wide-angle lens ?

Can I use x100 with its 23 mm lens for landscape exposure?
Some variants with adapted lens ?

Thank you.

You can also pick up the wide angle converter lens for the X100 giving you a 28mm lens with the converter and a 35mm with it off.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:20:48 pm »

Don't forget to take into account battery life as one key parameter to select a camera system to be used in the Himalayas.

At least from my experience in Nepal a few years afo, it is not always possible to recharge batteries in every lodge in the Gokyo/Chola/Everest base camp area. Besides, there are typically few power plugs and then tend to be in high demand.

I was really happy to have my D3 with a very high autonomy and a double charger.

I have never shot with the X100, so this is not a negative comment about it, just be sure you have enough batteries considering the environment you'll be shooting in.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:22:26 pm by BernardLanguillier »

tsjanik

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:00 pm »

Consider asking if a charger for your battery can be purchased here (see Bernard's comments):

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/solar-camera-charger.shtml

alex16510

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:18:35 pm »

Don't forget to take into account battery life as one key parameter to select a camera system to be used in the Himalayas.

At least from my experience in Nepal a few years afo, it is not always possible to recharge batteries in every lodge in the Gokyo/Chola/Everest base camp area. Besides, there are typically few power plugs and then tend to be in high demand.

I was really happy to have my D3 with a very high autonomy and a double charger.

I have never shot with the X100, so this is not a negative comment about it, just be sure you have enough batteries considering the environment you'll be shooting in.

Cheers,
Bernard

Thank you for your advice !  I want to use x100 as my second camera. And I will buy additional battery for x100.

alex16510

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:29 pm »

Consider asking if a charger for your battery can be purchased here (see Bernard's comments):

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/solar-camera-charger.shtml

Thank you !

MoreOrLess

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 08:06:57 am »

Personally speaking I'd be looking at a mid range zoom in the Himalaya's, UWA can be useful but if you want to emphasize individual mountains I'd say something like the 16-50mm or 18-55mm might be more useful.

Michael N. Meyer

• Michael Nathaniel Meyer Freelance
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 09:54:04 pm »

The x100 would be a fine landscape camera.

I just got back from a trip to Seoul during which I shot with my X-Pro1 with 35mm and my x100. This is a nice travel combo. An X-Pro1 with 23mm and 35mm lenses would be equally nice.

To echo other posters: the x100 eats batteries like nobody's business. In a day of shooting I will generally go through three batteries (I carry four). (The newer x100s may be better; I have no experience with it.) The X-Pro1 is better in this regard; I find two batteries gets me through a day (though, I carry three).

Were I going somewhere I couldn't reliably charge batteries every night, I'd be hesitant to bring the Fuji's due to battery concerns. It starts to become comical when your extra batteries are the weight and volume of another camera... 

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 05:47:41 am »

The X100s certainly seems different in terms of battery usage; I've shot about 450 photos so far (not long got the camera), and the battery is doing just fine.

Deardorff

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:22:54 am »

Two things on batteries.

Carry more than one spare.

Cold saps battery strength.
Pages: [1]   Go Up