Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing out of Lightroom  (Read 4523 times)

chasgroh

• Chashots
Printing out of Lightroom
« on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:25 pm »

...I have an old-school friend photog who's brilliant and studied...he says it's better overall to print out of photoshop. However, being the comparative newbie I'm much more Lightroom-oriented, catching-up on the PS side of things as I move along. I find the Lightroom ap much more elegant and easier to use. Are the engines between the two that different? Is there any loss of quality printing from Lightroom?

...only dead fish go with the flow.

Peter McLennan

Re: Printing out of Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:45:23 pm »

I never print with either.  I've used nothing but Qimage for years. 

However, why not print tests with both systems and judge for yourself?

chasgroh

• Chashots
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:18:49 pm »

...hahaha...OK, I've done that but would like a LR/PS expert user to answer this.  Thanks!
Charlie Groh

...only dead fish go with the flow.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »

...I have an old-school friend photog who's brilliant and studied...he says it's better overall to print out of photoshop. However, being the comparative newbie I'm much more Lightroom-oriented, catching-up on the PS side of things as I move along. I find the Lightroom ap much more elegant and easier to use. Are the engines between the two that different? Is there any loss of quality printing from Lightroom?

I won't question your friend's "brilliance" or "studied-ness," but I will question his actual experience with the LR print module.  PS is just plain crude compared to LR in this respect.  And speaking of respect, I have huge respect for the things PS does better than LR - but printing ain't one of them.

It is too easy to get frozen in time in the fast paced digital world and I suspect that your friend may be, at least in part, a victim of this. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:02 pm »

Yes, printing is one thing where Lightroom leaves Photoshop for dead.
Printing in Photoshop is finicky and confusing whereas in Lightroom one is able to concentrate on those issues pertinent to printing photographic images.
This is definitely an area where Lightroom wins in a no-contest.

Disclaimer: I use Photoshop fairly frequently but have not bothered to print out of it for some years.

Tony Jay

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:53:55 pm »

I agree with Rand and Tony.

I printed out of Photoshop for several years before Lightroom ever came along, and if I had a penny for every time it wasted a sheet of paper for me when I forgot to set one tiny item in the print menu for a print of a second image that was intended to be printed exactly like the first one, I'd be a rich man now.

Printing in Lightroom does everything that you can do in Photoshop, and does it easier, largely because of the ability to save print templates which specify all the important details on the make, type, and size of paper you want to use.

Like Rand and Tony, I use Photoshop fairly often for the things that it does better than Lightroom, but I, too, haven't printed out of it since I got reasonably familiar with Lightroom.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:42:09 am »

I also print out of Lightroom much more frequently than from Photoshop.

But, I would like to hear the reasoning that you friend uses to conclude that Photoshop is a better choice for printing over Lightroom.  You never know, we may learn something.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:20:39 am »

But, I would like to hear the reasoning that you friend uses to conclude that Photoshop is a better choice for printing over Lightroom.  You never know, we may learn something.

No you won't, because printing from Photoshop is primitive and crude and makes for a inefficient workflow.

graeme

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:41:13 am »

I haven't printed a single photographic image from PS since I started using Lightroom.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:47:38 am »

I have never tried printing from Photoshop because Lightroom does it so well.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:23:59 am »

The advantage in Lightroom of being able to set up templates can’t be emphasized enough. They’re not only a substantial time-saver, they help us avoid making costly mistakes. There are also so many ‘little’ things - like LR’s option for limiting the list of profiles to just those we use the most - which, all added together, make printing in Lightroom a much more fluid and intuitive process.

Larry

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 09:24:35 am »

printing from Photoshop is primitive and crude and makes for a inefficient workflow
...c'est correct.
The advantage in Lightroom of being able to set up templates can’t be emphasized enough
encore
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:29:49 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 02:59:28 pm »

No you won't, because printing from Photoshop is primitive and crude and makes for a inefficient workflow.

I already learned that. I was actually hoping to be enlightened on what possibly could be a new misconception about working with Lightroom.  I want to believe that I supported all of the best misconceptions before learning to use Lightroom at version 4.  Yes, I wasted a bunch of years thinking that I could work just as fast and efficient with Bridge/ACR.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:32 pm »

I use both for different reasons. I use PS when I want to use the Canon 16-bit plugin (so technically, I guess it's not really PS). I also prefer the way I can add a signature and use different fonts for a caption on a print in Photoshop. To me Lightroom is limited and kludgy in it's execution of those. I use Lightroom for it's versatility in layouts and the ability to create custom saved layouts.

In the end, it's really about the right tool for the job.

Nemo

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 11:13:34 am »

...I have an old-school friend photog who's brilliant and studied...he says it's better overall to print out of photoshop.
Last time I tested by printing patches out of each, measuring and comparing the dE values, they were identical. So your friend is wrong unless he's referring to workflow, ease of use etc. In that case LR is a vastly superior experience. Especially if you soft proof in LR and then print. You might want to ask him exactly what he means by 'better' because in one case he's completely wrong and in the other, it is subjective and IMHO, he's wrong too.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DougHerrick

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 03:41:09 am »

I generally print only one image at a time. I scale in Perfect Resize, ie; 10 x 15, launch Photoshop's print dialog, select a paper size, ie; 12 x 17, double check print settings and print. This process has never failed me, where Lightroom has a couple of strikes against it. I know, I'm anal.

My question is, how does OnOne's Perfect Resize (formerly Genuine Fractals) compare to Lightroom's resizing algorithm?

Pages: [1]   Go Up