Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wherein we reveal the secrets of Nikon 24-70mm F2.8G  (Read 966 times)

Rob C

Re: Wherein we reveal the secrets of Nikon 24-70mm F2.8G
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:22:01 am »

Mine seemed physically perfect - it was properly packed (AFAIK) in its sealed box when I bought it.

If physical damage had happened to it during manufacture, another good reason for a proper Final Inspection unit at all manufacturers, something that would have prevented my subsequent and damaging skepticism about Nikon after a lifetime of huge satisfaction with their many and varied products that I've owned.

My belief is that it probably isn't so much about individual lenses, but more about the shrinking levels of expectation that buyers seem to exhibit, if reading LuLa is any indicator of what people are prepared to accept as service and quality. The ease with which folks chat about trying out number three or four in any focal length before finding something good is unbelievable to someone of my generation. With that in mind, perhaps companies just produce stuff that is unreasonably complex simply in order to be able to claim that they do offer something exotic. I'd rather have properly functioning that exotic pretty much any day!

Rob C

Lee Roberts

Re: Wherein we reveal the secrets of Nikon 24-70mm F2.8G
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 01:56:19 pm »

Robert, I don't know your age but I'll be 37 in 3 weeks. So your concerns....errr...philosophy are probably shared by many. I've had the terribly made 70-300G (nonVR), the equally cheaply constructed 50/1.8D, and the fantastic 85/1.8d. Now I own both 1.8G primes. The 50g is much better made and the 85 is great...but not as durable as the predecessor.

The 28-70 2.8 is a sturdier lens. The SWM sucks like fake Rolex though.  i just bought the 24-70 for a super price but may just ssell and replace w/28-70 and pocket profit. I posted topic about Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 atx pro on a D800. No one even responded. I had the Pro II for 3 days before selling for my 24-120/4.0 VR. I miss it.

The moral of story: most lenses/cameras are constructed of cheaper-feeling plastics. The trade-off is better optics and technology. What is classic Japanese business strategy? 2 steps fwd and 1 step back. NeVER believe that's a coincedence.  But that's just business. No worse than my MacBook Pro that screams "made in USA" based on exterior...yet it should embarass any Mac-worshipper upon seeing Foxxcon all over the internals. And no- I don't love Apple. Just got great $$$ on open-box
Pages: [1]   Go Up