Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bay Sunset  (Read 1261 times)

Richard Pearlman

Bay Sunset
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:22:33 pm »

Comments and critiques are appreciated.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Bay Sunset
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:15:13 pm »

Great colours, great light, great composition, but would prefer more water along the bottom for better balance.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

francois

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:49:36 am »

I like the sumptuous sky with the vibrant colors but, like Terry, I'd like to a see a bit more water.
Good job.
Francois

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:08:26 am »

Great sunset colors. I too would like more water in the bottom of the frame to give me more of a sense of place.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:03:04 am »

Richard - beautiful colors etc.. - the "balance" of elements is an issue for me too...probably more water. Additionally, you should consider the "wedge of blue"in the middle of sky that terminates down to area of dark blue at right edge of frame...what is this doing compositionally in your image? Lines of direction or leading lines are not always "ends in and of themselves"...they are a means to an end...and I would think hard about what these are doing here.  /Brandt
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Richard Pearlman

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:16:14 am »

Looking at the shot after taking it, I also agree that more water may have been warranted. Brandt, I understand what you are saying about the leading lines. It seems that the wedge of blue leads the eye down and to the right. I think that my major problem with this scene is that I wasn't prepared for it. Lots of cloud cover had rolled in, and I thought that this meant that the sun would be blocked by the clouds and a good sunset would not be possible. As the sun was setting, I was shooting reflections in some large puddles of water nearby and not really paying too much attention to this part of the sky. Just a few moments before the moment of maximum intensity of the sunset I looked around. Behind me, I saw a red glow on the horizon like none I had ever witnessed. I was running around looking for foreground, looking for something to make a good composition. I couldn't find anything, so I had to start shooting or else I would miss out on this photographic opportunity.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 08:18:19 am »

Wonderful colours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up