Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I save a jpg file larger that 65000 pix on larger border ?  (Read 4108 times)

esox

Hello,

There in a limitation in Photoshop CC (CS6) to save a jpg file (from a psb file) : 65000 x 65000 pix. I have a fil than is a bit more than 100.000 x 60.000 pix on larger border (stitched macro pictures of a painting, taken with a Phase One P65+ and a 120mm macro Mamiya D). Even at 65000 pixel one can only save at normal (not advanced) jpg compression. Otherwise the PC crashes (32 Bb RAM + 256 Go SSD dedicated swap disk). I have to go down 50000 pixels to save advanced compression jpg without crash.

Is ther a software that can save 100.000 x 60.000 pixels (or larger) from a tiff or psb file ?

Thanks.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: How can I save a jpg file larger that 65000 pix on larger border ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:27:30 am »

Hello,

There in a limitation in Photoshop CC (CS6) to save a jpg file (from a psb file) : 65000 x 65000 pix.

Hi,

It's a limitation of the file format: JPEG/JFIF supports a maximum image size of 65535×65535. Maybe JPEG 2000 or PNG are better file formats to use for such large files?

Is there a software that can save 100.000 x 60.000 pixels (or larger) from a tiff or psb file ?

Is it impossible to (I assume) print directly from the PSB file? Would it make sense to print in sections?

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:03:22 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

esox

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:34:02 pm »

It is not for printing it is to make a very high definition file of a painting displaid on the web with KRPano. I need a jpg file or a tiff file to create the tiles. And photoshop also do not save tiff files larger than 4 Gb...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 02:01:41 pm »

It is not for printing it is to make a very high definition file of a painting displaid on the web with KRPano. I need a jpg file or a tiff file to create the tiles. And photoshop also do not save tiff files larger than 4 Gb...

Ah, but since KRpano will make smaller tiles out of the image, is it not possible to split the file, e.g. in 4 large tiles to begin with, and add the subdivisions below that. I haven't looked at the KRPano segmented output, but assume there is some documentation about such huge files to assist. Are you sure it can't import PSB files?

I use Pano2VR for such work, and that allows PSB files as input, before subdividing into multiresolution JPEGs for HTML5 or Flash/SWF output.

Cheers,
Bart

esox

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:13:26 pm »

In fact I didn't check for the psb files...  ;D

esox

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:38:45 pm »

You are right it does accept psb files, I don't know why I had a fixed idea on jpg or tiff files...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 07:44:42 pm »

You are right it does accept psb files, I don't know why I had a fixed idea on jpg or tiff files...

Hi,

No problem, glad you got things figured out. It never hurts to ask when in doubt. There are enough 'geeks' (AKA informed people with similar interests) out here to have some chance of getting at least one step further. And others can also benefit anonymously ...

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up