Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coastal time & space  (Read 913 times)

cjogo

Coastal time & space
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:25:57 pm »

Just along the beach 1980 --

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Coastal time & space
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:51:42 pm »

Nice view but I don't feel the technical quality of the photograph does it justice.  There is very little detail in the water, it almost looks over softened.  With this kind of inlet you'd expect to see fast moving currents or more angry water.  The conversion to B&W (even worse if this is from B&W film) imo is lacking.  Not enough tonal levels, lack of contrast.

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

cjogo

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:59:17 pm »

Nice view but I don't feel the technical quality of the photograph does it justice.  There is very little detail in the water, it almost looks over softened.  With this kind of inlet you'd expect to see fast moving currents or more angry water.  The conversion to B&W (even worse if this is from B&W film) imo is lacking.  Not enough tonal levels, lack of contrast.

Yep, that was film -- it was very dusky -- ISO 50 --- > as to currents = this is the Pacific Ocean >  & no detail in the ocean when you are shooting at about a 1 sec .. especially with no light on the subject.  

Did some dodging -- here
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:02:06 pm by cjogo »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:06:28 pm »

Yep, that was film -- it was very dusky -- ISO 50 --- > as to currents = this is the Pacific Ocean >  & no detail in the ocean when you are shooting at about a 1 sec .. especially with no light on the subject.  

Did some dodging -- here
1s would definitely explain the ocean.. I grew up on the Pacific, surfed, dove, boated.. it's an active angry ocean most of the time.  I joined the Navy to see the world, guess where they put me?  The Pacific..

It's always worthwhile to take a look at your work when I see it posted.. :)
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

cjogo

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:33 pm »

This is the Monterey Bay -- it can be very calm ---guess I should had exposed a little longer and did a -2 development to hold that line of setting sun.  This was developed normal. 

Was  studying Wynn Bullocks  " time & space"  theories --   thanks for lookin'

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:44:47 am »

Nice view but I don't feel the technical quality of the photograph does it justice.  There is very little detail in the water, it almost looks over softened.  With this kind of inlet you'd expect to see fast moving currents or more angry water.  The conversion to B&W (even worse if this is from B&W film) imo is lacking.  Not enough tonal levels, lack of contrast.

Given your explanation of film, light and shutter speed, perhaps Steve's comment could be re-interpreted to ask the question..."Why?". At least, that's what I'm asking, as the photo is pretty mundane as it was first presented. Perhaps I'm being harsh, but photographs, in my opinion, should not require an explanation. They must speak all there is to say through the medium itself.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:06:13 am »

If you show as much of the unseen as this photo does, words can do what they will.  In other words: I like it.

cjogo

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 02:13:18 pm »

Given your explanation of film, light and shutter speed, perhaps Steve's comment could be re-interpreted to ask the question..."Why?". At least, that's what I'm asking, as the photo is pretty mundane as it was first presented. Perhaps I'm being harsh, but photographs, in my opinion, should not require an explanation. They must speak all there is to say through the medium itself.

It only seems to require "a explanation" -- when the questions arise here ;-}
Pages: [1]   Go Up