Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For tho_mas: Sony A7r + Pentax 31/1.8 Example Pic  (Read 1953 times)

Telecaster

For tho_mas: Sony A7r + Pentax 31/1.8 Example Pic
« on: February 28, 2014, 05:15:23 pm »

Turns out I missed a photo when I cleaned the A7r stuff off my iPad. So here it is, taken a week ago yesterday as part of a series to show friends & relatives what a lovely winter we're having. It had just started raining, after snowing 3" the previous evening, when I clicked the shutter. The Pentax 31mm is at f/8, camera at ISO 100, handheld. I've attached first a downsample of the full frame, then full-res crops from the top left & right corners. Note that I framed it at 16:9, as with all my A7r pics, but since Sony doesn't crop the RAWs I've used the whole thing here. RAW conversion via PhotoRAW, slight levels tweak & USM via Photogene. You'll see a bit of lateral CA in the crops if you look closely, easily dialed out if desired in post.

-Dave-

tho_mas

Re: For tho_mas: Sony A7r + Pentax 31/1.8 Example Pic
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:44:49 am »

Almost missed this post...

Many thanks for posting the sample!
Due to the framing and the fact you've shot this hand held it's not really suited to judge edge performance at wide distances and/or filed cuvature.
But anyhow... I've got an impression.
Thanks again!

Telecaster

Re: For tho_mas: Sony A7r + Pentax 31/1.8 Example Pic
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »

Yes, it's not a flat-field photo with fine corner detail at infinity. I take very few such photos, prefering 3D subject matter. I found long ago with an M2 & 35/1.4 Summilux that field curvature can often be your friend when your landscapes are of the urban variety. That said, the Pentax is good in the curvature dept. too.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up