Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing canvas panos on a Epson 3800  (Read 2609 times)

Bill Koenig

Printing canvas panos on a Epson 3800
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:53:46 pm »

Up until now I've printed my B&W panos on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, which is now gone.
The longest I've printed is 17x50 using a utility that allows me to print longer than 37 inches on the 3800
 I would like to try Canvas and mount to gator board using miracle muck.
My questions, and before I go any further, do you think I can pull this off on a Epson 3800?
OK assuming that canvas 17x50 though a 3800 is possible, which canvas can deliver the finest detail when printing B&W?
I remember reading that the Epson glossy canvas is supposed to be very good at maintaining fine detail.
BTW, the images are street scenes of local architecture taken at night.
Thanks for any help 

Bill Koenig,

huguito

Re: Printing canvas panos on a Epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:32:53 pm »

I tried the Epson Exhibition satin on a couple of B&W prints on my 9600.
Very smooth texture
Holds a lot of detail and has a beautiful mild shine to it, I like it a lot.
Hugo

steveclv

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:49:15 am »

Which utility are you using to print panos?

I have looked at Mirage but it's way to expensive for me for the occasional use I'd make of it. Is there something else out there?

Thanks and sorry for the OT ;)

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 11:34:39 am »

Try PrintFab: http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_pfwin_driver.phtml?printer=Epson_StylusPro3880

Claims to print 17.01 x 590.55" with license.  The beta may allow for a smaller size and it was free for a while.  Home version is $183 compared to some of the other RIPS like Ergosoft StudioPro which is around $1500+ (??).  Dunno now about the free beta, but worth a shot.

SG

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 11:51:11 am »

I have not tried that many canvases, but I really like Breathing Color Lyve.

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 05:02:29 am »

Try Quadtone RIP for the monochrome pano. Are you running Cone or MIS inks (or a mixture of them), or are you dithering using colour inks?

Take a look at Kernow's selection of inkjet canvas (the Kernewek fabrics). I'm not a fan of most canvases, but I saw these ones a few weeks ago, and they're quite different. Unlike most of the others, they're not primed - there's no layer of crumbly, chalky material covering the fabric - and they seem to produce deep blacks for a canvas. Of course, coating them with a gloss spray would enhance the blacks even more. I'm considering getting some myself for colour and black-and-white printing.

RHPS

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 10:48:25 am »

You can certainly print that type of pano on a 3800 - I've done many at that sort of size using UDPS or QTR. There have been lots of discussions on how best to load the canvas, but I have always taped a paper leader to the canvas and fed from the normal top feed.

If you want a canvas that gives a Dmax and color gamut similar to a luster paper you might want to try the Innova Phot Canvas Ultra Gloss. It's quite different from any other canvas I've tried in that it gives a Dmax of around 1.8, against typically 1.5 for the average canvas after coating. I've only had samples so far but the next time I need canvas this is the one I'll go for.

Keith Cooper did a review of it - see http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/paper/innova_canvas.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up