Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: No L-Plate for sony a7r + grip - PLEASE EMAIL RRS and KIRK  (Read 13577 times)

chez

Re: No L-Plate for sony a7r + grip - PLEASE EMAIL RRS and KIRK
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 09:06:45 am »

that was kind of a joke. honestly, the a7r is ridiculously light- even with a battery grip. i can't believe how lazy people are with their camera gear, its not that hard to carry around. it wasn't that long ago people had to carry around pentax 67's with a set of lenses and lug the stuff up mountains.
a sony a7r, grip and lenses probably doesn't weight any more than a drink bottle..

whether there is a market of or not, the reason for the post was to help convince RRS etc to make a L-plate for a very common camera, not to justify their reluctance to support their user base. they made plates for mamiyas, contax, has hassy's, all sorts of very small markets of cameras- I sure the A7r and battery grip would way outsell and of these cameras by a large margin.

paul

Depends what you mean by carry around. If all you do is drive up to a location, get out of your car and place your tripod within 5 minutes of the car, then I agree with you. If you trek through say the Rockies on 20km day trips with an elevation gain of 3000m, then that is a different story where any extra weight and bulk is very noticeable.

billy

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 12:18:02 pm »

hi billy,

i have only just brought the A7r a few days ago- still testing it. i seem to be able to focus the 50mm f1.0 and the 85mm f1.2 with focus peaking ok so far.
I'm not planning on buying sony lenses. my tests have been wide open, so shutter shock isn't a problem so far..
i haven't studied the files much yet. i know the canon files are pretty bad with highlight roll off. if i try and under expose the canon files then the darks have an ugly grain. when testing the d800e last year it was far better at living the darks without an ugly grain- still grain, but nicer looking imo. Its a pity you can't get the same look as film with highlights with these dslrs. my p65 is better with highlights.

i have one job this week that requires shooting someone running from ground level- so the sony should be sweet with this. ill be on a wheel chair or trolly and ill be able to tilt the screen up to see down on the camera. can't do this with the canon- even when i tried with my zacuto evf it was problematic.
it will be a back lit shot-- so this will test the files i think. so ill use this for work then, but only use the a7r in situations like this rare case until i can be confident with it. theres still no way to tether well as far as i know.

paul

Thanks I appreciate that.

CptZar

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 12:59:38 pm »

Received this mail today:

Update for Really Right Stuff Support Case #3417 - "L-Plate for A7r with Battery grip."

We are in the process of researching and designing a custom plate for use with the added battery grip on the Sony A7/A7R. If we decide to make a custom plate for use with the added grip, you will see such an announcement made on our website homepage as well as on our company Facebook page, and in our monthly newsletter. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Erik
Really Right Stuff, LLC

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 01:41:40 pm »

Did I mention the Arca-Swiss L-brackets? They are adaptable, & will fit a range of cameras. No more having to buy a new one every time you upgrade or otherwise change cameras.

paul ross jones

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 03:24:15 pm »

Received this mail today:

Update for Really Right Stuff Support Case #3417 - "L-Plate for A7r with Battery grip."

We are in the process of researching and designing a custom plate for use with the added battery grip on the Sony A7/A7R. If we decide to make a custom plate for use with the added grip, you will see such an announcement made on our website homepage as well as on our company Facebook page, and in our monthly newsletter. 

Erik
Really Right Stuff, LLC

this is great news.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 09:04:22 pm »

OK $140 for the L-plate for the Sony w/ grip:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1279807

CptZar

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 01:58:36 am »

Bad news from RRS:
Quote:
That is correct, we had revisited the possibility of making an L-plate for the A7 with the added battery grip, however we have concluded once again that the design of the battery grip is such that we can not make an L-plate that will meet our minimum requirements for functionality and atheistic design.

While I can certainly appreciate that you would be accepting of removing the L-plate to gain access to the battery door, the vast majority of our customers do not share that opinion, and so designing such a limited plate would not be well received, and we imagine we simply wouldn't sell enough to justify the cost of the research and development.   

Quote.

Erik
Really Right Stuff, LLC

Rand47

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 09:29:54 am »

Acratech's universal L-plate might be a good candidate for use w/ & without the grip.

http://www.acratech.net/universal-l-bracket/

I use one w/ my a900 in this way.  Very solid. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

CptZar

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »

Got myself a Novoflex L-Plate. Fits perfectly. Has to be screwed on and off for battery changing, but I don't care. I use to take them off anyway, if I shoot by hand.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 11:13:50 am »

JML over on GDPI has just finished work on his L plate for the A7/grip.  He's allowed it to slide by loosening a d-ring on the base to remove batteries.
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49769-jlm-l-plate-a7-r-2.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up