Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: No L-Plate for sony a7r + grip - PLEASE EMAIL RRS and KIRK  (Read 13576 times)

paul ross jones

No L-Plate for sony a7r + grip - PLEASE EMAIL RRS and KIRK
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:44:30 pm »

I have purchased a sony a7r and I'm really liking it. But the body is too small so I want to use it with the matching grip- also need the extra battery life.

But I can't find a dedicated grip L-plate.

I emailed Really Right Stuff - but they say they have no intention of making one, so did Kirk. I have no idea why they aren't going to… maybe they don't think they are sell enough…
I'm really disappointed- especially when i have been a RRS user with every camera I have owned since my film days with a contax.

So can everyone who interested in one please email kirk, RRS and sunday photo to say we really want one.

the emails are-

america@sunwayfoto.com

kirkphoto@aol.com

info@reallyrightstuff.com

I figure if they get enough emails- one of them will make one for this quite impressive little camera.

cheers paul

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:55:02 pm by paul ross jones »

chez

Re: No L-Plate for sony a7r + grip - PLEASE EMAIL RRS and KIRK
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28:13 pm »

I have purchased a sony a7r and I'm really liking it. But the body is too small so I want to use it with the matching grip- also need the extra battery life.

But I can't find a dedicated grip L-plate.

I emailed Really Right Stuff - but they say they have no intention of making one, so did Kirk. I have no idea why they aren't going to… maybe they don't think they are sell enough…
I'm really disappointed- especially when i have been a RRS user with every camera I have owned since my film days with a contax.

So can everyone who interested in one please email kirk, RRS and sunday photo to say we really want one.

the emails are-

america@sunwayfoto.com

kirkphoto@aol.com

info@reallyrightstuff.com

I figure if they get enough emails- one of them will make one for this quite impressive little camera.

cheers paul

I think most people that will be mounting the camera to a tripod will not be using the grip. The grip adds no benefit to the camera when mounted onto a tripod. Just adds weight and bulk.

I currently use a 5d2 and do have a grip for it. When I plan on using the camera on a tripod, I always remove the grip. It serves no purpose in those conditions.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 06:13:44 pm »

I think most people that will be mounting the camera to a tripod will not be using the grip. The grip adds no benefit to the camera when mounted onto a tripod. Just adds weight and bulk.

I currently use a 5d2 and do have a grip for it. When I plan on using the camera on a tripod, I always remove the grip. It serves no purpose in those conditions.

constant screwing and unscrewing is a pain... I 'd love to put a grip once and L plate once till the camera either sold or broken...  now imagine constant interchanging between grip and plate ?

ron ritcher

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 06:57:59 pm »

Even though I don't have the battery grip for my A7r, I probably would get one if RRS (or someone else) made one for the gripped body -- simply because several of the early discoverers of "shutter shake" in the r have found that the added heft of the battery grip significantly reduces the problem when the camera is attached to a tripod.  More battery power at hand would be nice; going far to resolve the shake . . . even better.

Ron

paul ross jones

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:28 pm »

i always have a grip on all my other cameras and it stays there. weight isn't a problem as i have assistants  ;).

the grip and the L-plate also has other reasons- not just for vertical shooting-
- as I'm always alternating from tripod to handheld quickly
- its like a roll cage for the camera so i can plonk it down on concrete, and also saves the day if i actually drop the camera (has happened).
- the camera itself really is far too small for me to hold. its a pain. I need a decent grip as the lenses are so large on it (see attached pic).
- L-bracket can have attachments added to hold the ables in. Especially with this camera with tiny plugs- mini hdmi, tiny usb, they just don't stay in.
- This camera is a bit of an embarrassment to shoot professionally - its just looks like a toy! Clients are often requesting that i use medium format (i have a contax /p65), but due to its limitations i can't use it much, and prefer the 5dmk3 often- but that can be a bit of a hard sell to them. I figure the sony a7r will be a even bigger problem to sell.

But if you don't see the need for one of these L-plates for the grip, thats cool - but please help me and send these guys an email so they think there is enough people needing them to warrant making them! I would really appreciate it.

paul
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:22:45 pm by paul ross jones »

CptZar

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 07:39:29 pm »

Same problem here. I have the grip and the RRS plate. Taking the grip on and off is a PITA. Going out doing some tripod work, then walking around without the grip is very uncomfortable. And the grip gives it a fine form. Much better to hold than without. And yes, the grip mitigates shutter shake.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:58:29 pm »

I emailed Really Right Stuff - but they say they have no intention of making one, so did Kirk…

I'm a bit baffled by this as well.
~ CB

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:21:47 pm »

JLM from getdpi forum mentioned 4 weeks ago that he was working on an L bracket for the grip but hasn't mentioned anything since.   

Manoli

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »

- L-bracket can have attachments added to hold the ables in. Especially with this camera with tiny plugs- mini hdmi, tiny usb, they just don't stay in.

Try a right-angled cable ...

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 07:31:18 am »

i always have a grip on all my other cameras and it stays there. Weight isn't a problem as i have assistants.

paul

I think you have answered your own question. Only a miniscule proportion of users of consumer-level cameras such as the A7r are likely to have assistants. So you can see why there may be reluctance to provide accessories that would have a tiny market.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

philbond87

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 11:38:36 am »

I can appreciate the desire for an L-bracket on the A7R.
I have almost always had L-brackets for all of my cameras and I would want one for my A7R as well, if it weren't for the fact that I have the L-bracket for the Metabones adapter.

I can also understand Kirk and RRS' concern about it not being cost effective.

I realize it's inconvenient (battery, memory card access) but you might consider a universal L-bracket, like one from Hejnar: http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34_58_56

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 12:14:23 pm »

I have almost always had L-brackets for all of my cameras and I would want one for my A7R as well, if it weren't for the fact that I have the L-bracket for the Metabones adapter.

This looks very convenient!

~ CB

philbond87

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 01:29:55 pm »

Chris,

Indeed it is. That is, if you only (or primarily) use Canon EF lenses on the A7R.
I do so it works for me. I don't have any lenses that are native to the system.
_
Phil

Vladimirovich

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 02:48:11 pm »

I think you have answered your own question. Only a miniscule proportion of users of consumer-level cameras such as the A7r are likely to have assistants. So you can see why there may be reluctance to provide accessories that would have a tiny market.

that's why they shall loose whatever market they have for plates - buy base plates on ebay, do not buy them from RRS = http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Release-QR-L-Plate-Bracket-for-Sony-Alpha-7-A7-A7R-/201042734139

paul ross jones

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »

that was kind of a joke. honestly, the a7r is ridiculously light- even with a battery grip. i can't believe how lazy people are with their camera gear, its not that hard to carry around. it wasn't that long ago people had to carry around pentax 67's with a set of lenses and lug the stuff up mountains.
a sony a7r, grip and lenses probably doesn't weight any more than a drink bottle..

whether there is a market of or not, the reason for the post was to help convince RRS etc to make a L-plate for a very common camera, not to justify their reluctance to support their user base. they made plates for mamiyas, contax, has hassy's, all sorts of very small markets of cameras- I sure the A7r and battery grip would way outsell and of these cameras by a large margin.

paul

paul ross jones

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 04:03:36 pm »

Chris,

Indeed it is. That is, if you only (or primarily) use Canon EF lenses on the A7R.
I do so it works for me. I don't have any lenses that are native to the system.
_
Phil

i can't see that clearing the battery grip with an area clamp. it also doesnt allow cables to be supported. but a great setup for a body only and a use canon lens.
paul

billy

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 05:51:35 pm »

Sorry this is off topic; Paul I am familiar with your work and since I value your opinion:

Are you using the a7r for work or play? are u experiencing the shutter shock problem? are u using native lenses like the sony 55m?

And most importantly; in the film days I could shoot a person backlit without adding bounce or fill light and it would look pretty.With canon DSLRs, I cannot do this. Something about the Dynamic range or highlight roll off is bad. Could you do this with the Sony?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »

Would one of the Arca-Swiss L-brackets be of any use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8D410dieE

bcooter

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »

i always have a grip on all my other cameras and it stays there. weight isn't a problem as i have assistants  ;).

the grip and the L-plate also has other reasons- not just for vertical shooting-
- as I'm always alternating from tripod to handheld quickly
- its like a roll cage for the camera so i can plonk it down on concrete, and also saves the day if i actually drop the camera (has happened).
- the camera itself really is far too small for me to hold. its a pain. I need a decent grip as the lenses are so large on it (see attached pic).
- This camera is a bit of an embarrassment to shoot professionally - its just looks like a toy! Clients are often requesting that i use medium format (i have a contax /p65), but due to its limitations i can't use it much, and prefer the 5dmk3 often- but that can be a bit of a hard sell to them. I figure the sony a7r will be a even bigger problem to sell.

But if you don't see the need for one of these L-plates for the grip, thats cool - but please help me and send these guys an email so they think there is enough people needing them to warrant making them! I would really appreciate it.

paul

This is sold by capture integration.  It's expensive and large but configurable and will clear all of your cables.

https://captureintegration.com/product/smart-flex-l-plate/

It's large, but if you want to give you clients an impression of specialty equipment on set, this would do it and unlike the rrs plates you don't have to replace it every time you change a camera model.

IMO

BC

paul ross jones

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 02:11:39 am »

Sorry this is off topic; Paul I am familiar with your work and since I value your opinion:

Are you using the a7r for work or play? are u experiencing the shutter shock problem? are u using native lenses like the sony 55m?

And most importantly; in the film days I could shoot a person backlit without adding bounce or fill light and it would look pretty.With canon DSLRs, I cannot do this. Something about the Dynamic range or highlight roll off is bad. Could you do this with the Sony?

hi billy,

i have only just brought the A7r a few days ago- still testing it. i seem to be able to focus the 50mm f1.0 and the 85mm f1.2 with focus peaking ok so far.
I'm not planning on buying sony lenses. my tests have been wide open, so shutter shock isn't a problem so far..
i haven't studied the files much yet. i know the canon files are pretty bad with highlight roll off. if i try and under expose the canon files then the darks have an ugly grain. when testing the d800e last year it was far better at living the darks without an ugly grain- still grain, but nicer looking imo. Its a pity you can't get the same look as film with highlights with these dslrs. my p65 is better with highlights.

i have one job this week that requires shooting someone running from ground level- so the sony should be sweet with this. ill be on a wheel chair or trolly and ill be able to tilt the screen up to see down on the camera. can't do this with the canon- even when i tried with my zacuto evf it was problematic.
it will be a back lit shot-- so this will test the files i think. so ill use this for work then, but only use the a7r in situations like this rare case until i can be confident with it. theres still no way to tether well as far as i know.

paul

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up