Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a Gallery Wrap Digital Proof  (Read 8655 times)

Amit

Creating a Gallery Wrap Digital Proof
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:34:02 am »

Hi,

I wanted to ask for tools which can help me create Gallery Wrap Digital Proof for 3/4", 1.5", 2.5". Presently I do it using photoshop but I have to do many images in a day and this takes lot of time.  :-(

I will appreciate if you can help me with the tools

Regards,
Amit

Tony Jay

Re: Creating a Gallery Wrap Digital Proof
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 07:13:18 am »

Amit, you may be way ahead of me on this but isn't there a way to automate the process in Lightroom.
I do recall on one of the Camera to Print and Screen tutorials this been demonstrated.

If you are on this then just ignore me.

Tony Jay

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:40:34 am »

Hi,

I wanted to ask for tools which can help me create Gallery Wrap Digital Proof for 3/4", 1.5", 2.5". Presently I do it using photoshop but I have to do many images in a day and this takes lot of time.  :-(

Hi Amit,

Assuming you want to print canvas, a program like Qimage has Canvas border Wrapping (here's how to), and allows to save several specific setups. It also allows to choose a certain shrink percentage that works best with your choice of canvas.. It also produces superior output quality compared to Photoshop. Not sure if you work on Windows or Mac, but this Windows application is reported to work fine under Parallels or Fusion on Macs).

This thread also discusses some alternative solutions.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 07:52:46 am »

There's an action for Photoshop that automates this process. Someone on LuLa told me about it, but I don't recall where I got it. Also, if you have the Perfect Resize plug-in, that'll do it too.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 11:30:59 am »

Hi Amit,

Here is a link to an easy to use action that I created for PS some time ago and uploaded to the Action Central website and is probably what Peter is alluding to.

The action allows you to create a gallery wrap of 1.5 or 2.0 inches and if you want any other sizes, just duplicate one of the actions in your actions palette and then change that part of the action and rename it to the new size etc - expand the duplicated action you've just made, then click on the size command within the action and just type in your new size in the dialogue box that opens and then rename the action to that size etc.

It's free of course and works seamlessly and being a PS action, this means you can apply it to as many images in a folder as you like, via the batch function in PS, or if you know how to do it, you can also make it into a PS droplet and just drag the files onto the droplet etc.

I know quite a few photographers as well as pro photographers are using my gallery wrap action, so I hope you like it and get plenty of use out of it  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:40:35 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:53:51 pm »

When I started doing my own wraps a few years ago, it took quite a bit of time to do the flops for the edges manually.

Then I got an email pitch for Perfect Resize (I think this used to be Genuine Fractals). I downloaded the trial and bought it immediately.

Though you'd think the program is for "enlarging" beyond the native file size to a larger size of fuzzy, it also does the mirroring and stretching for any size edge you want.

I've been using it for years, mostly for making wraps especially since PS does a pretty good job on most of my "enlarging".

Well worth the price for the convenience of doing wraps quickly and easily.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Amit

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 01:12:15 am »

Thanks Dave. I was looking for an action like this :-)

Iangier, I am little concerned about the Price for this feature.

BartvanderWolf, I will give a try to it but how will you rate it when compared to Perfect Resize?

Also, Can you suggest me the alternates in Photoshop for creating a Gallery Wrap preview(.jpg as will be seen on Streature). 

mrenters

• http://www.teckelworks.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:58:34 am »

Hi,

Regards,
Amit

I wrote a script a while back that does 2 inch mirrored wraps. It can be easily modified with a text editor (one line change) for whatever size wrap you want.

http://www.teckelworks.com/2012/12/canvaswrap/

Martin

Amit

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 10:24:41 am »

Hey Martin,

Thanks for sharing the script. I must say you have worked very nicely on the script. :-)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:11:26 am »

"Iangier, I am little concerned about the Price for this feature."

At $69.95 it is the best investment you will ever make if you are doing canvas.
All the edge treatments with no screwing around.
Cheap at twice the cost!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:15:32 pm by Dan Berg »

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 12:08:31 pm »

One huge feature of QImage Ultimate that makes canvas wrapping extremely efficient is it's feature of adding the folding lines for you. I haven't seen any mention of the above scripts doing that. And I haven't seen the option in Perfect Resize. QImage Ultimate is worth every penny for many reasons.
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

Amit

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 01:40:59 am »

Thanks all for the help.

I have a slight confusion. do we have also photoshop actions/tools to create gallery wrap visualization of images. I have attached a sample. I have been using a very length and manual process to get such wraps of images. (1.5, 2.0, 2.5 inches).

kirkt

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:53 am »

Are you generating the 3D mock up in PS with the 3D tools?  It is pretty straightforward to do so - take your extended (mirrored) image and slice it with guides along the "fold" lines.  This will divide the image into 9 images.  It is then just a matter of assigning the proper images to the diffuse material of the proper faces of a cube - the cube should be resized to match the aspect ratio/dimensions of the wrap piece and the corresponding source image.

As far as automation goes, I have not fooled around with automating 3D in PS.  If the sliced image sets are named uniformly and predictably, and you can assign the texture maps automatically through an action, then you should be able to automate the process in a scene that has the 3D model prepared and sized properly.

A shortcut might be to pre-render a generic 3D scene (with the background and drop shadow, etc.) and then take the appropriate slices and skew/warp them onto the faces of the pre-rendered canvas.  This will save you render time, as the faces of the cube will have the shading baked into them and you can lay a copy of the baked shading on top of the skewed faces an set the blend mode to multiply.

Still, automating would need investigation, either way.

You may also be able to try it in one shot by adapting the UV coordinates of the cube to suit the mapping of the mirrored image so that you only have to apply the image once and the wrapping will be handled by the UV coordinates.

kirk
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:05:13 am by kirkt »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 11:55:47 am »

If all you want is a mirrored edge, GF or perfect resize is way too much IMO.  There are plenty of "free" actions out there and I have one, PM if you want a copy sent.

I "hate" the mirrored edge look as it tends to catch the eye of the viewer and looks looks like a Kaleidoscope especially with trees, or rocks with patterns.  I prefer to stretch the edge (with same action mentioned) or go to a solid color.  Epson makes with a bit tricky since I have never owned a Epson (now on 6) that can print without a skew.  This makes a true mirrored edge hard to to stretch as you can't skew a stretcher bar, also makes the solid edge hard. 

Now I tend to use Content aware, and just work till I have something that looks OK, especially on the inside edges of Triptych's. 

I used the mirrored edge for years, but just don't like the end result. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Amit

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 06:31:54 am »

Kirk, I use a similar method currently but when it comes to many images a day, the process consumes alot of time on this itself. I was looking for some photoshop actions/other tools which can help.

Paul, Please share the Photoshop action :-) for mirrored edge . Also, you gave a direct shot to what i had in my mind. I was wondering over the same whether there exist Photoshop actions for getting a coloured border or a mirrored border.   

kirkt

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 06:21:05 pm »

Amit - you can make an OBJ with a nicely unwrapped UV Texture map and then take the output from your mirror/stretch action and feed that single image to the 3D object and it will wrap completely around the 3D box representing the canvas wrap.

See attached figure.  You can automate the construction of the 3D scene and replace the default texture with you wrap action output, but I did not try to fully simulate this entire action.

Bottom line - a little time spent making a 3D box with a slight bevel on the edge (in a 3D modeling package that makes UV map making easy - I used Lightwave, Blender 3D is free and easy - google UV mapping tutorials).  You may have to make a few different boxes based on the aspect ratio and wrap depth, but I get the sense you stick to pretty standard sizes/wrap depths.

So, basically:

1) run wrap/mirror/extend/stretch action of your choice.
2) open pre-made PSD with blank 3D box w/ the nice UV map, lighting, etc. set up.
3) apply the wrap script output as a replacement texture for the 3D box.
4) render.

Good luck.

Note in the attached figure, that the "back" of the wrap texture is obviously not necessary for any part of the workflow.

kirk

garyhill

• Gary Hill Landscape Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 06:57:35 pm »

I downloaded Dave's (Isle of Skye) Photoshop action and it works a treat. A definite time saver.

Gary

Amit

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 02:30:57 am »

Kirk,
Thanks for your effort :-) Your process will help me for the standard sizes but I even have to deal with many variable sizes. The wrap depth remaining the standard( .75 inch/ 1.5 inch/ 2 inch). For standard sizes, you process will be very useful but for many other sizes i will get stuck.

Gary,
The actions by Dave will have to create a file for Print but we wanted actions for Digital Proof which can be sent/e-mailed to clients so that they can see the digital frame.

Pages: [1]   Go Up