Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Director's viewfinder alternatives  (Read 3357 times)

RobbieV

• My work.
Director's viewfinder alternatives
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:41:24 pm »

I'm interested in finding a less expensive alternative to a director's viewfinder for 35mm. I shoot APS-C but I can figure out focal lengths from full-frame to APS-C easily enough if that is what is available if there is a solution.

I'm aware of the iPhone apps, but I'd prefer something that doesn't take batteries.

Thanks!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Director's viewfinder alternatives
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 08:14:59 pm »

Sounds simplistic, but the best director's viewfinder I've ever used (besides my hands - which are free), is a 5" card cut out to the format of my camera. Hold it close to approximate wide angle. Hold it further away for increasing focal lengths. Oh and use it with only one eye open to better approximate the monocular view of a camera.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:40:18 pm »

Sounds simplistic, but the best director's viewfinder I've ever used (besides my hands - which are free), is a 5" card cut out to the format of my camera. Hold it close to approximate wide angle. Hold it further away for increasing focal lengths. Oh and use it with only one eye open to better approximate the monocular view of a camera.

Exactly.  Especially the one-eye bit.

Spend some practice time with your lenses and your hands and you'll be good to go.

BAB

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:49 am »

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:03:39 am »

Thanks Terry and Peter. Of course it ends up being something that simple.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Bab. I had researched iPhone apps but I want to move away from anything battery related.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:41:35 am »

Set up your camera on a tripod, with lens of interest. Attach string to the edge of the cardboard card with your format cut-out. Hold card so that it matches your camera's view with lens of interest, and bring that string to your nose or cheek or whatever uniform reference point you use - tie a knot in the string. Do that for every lens you use, and remember (or write on the edge of the card) first knot = 21mm , second knot = 35mm, etc etc. You now know how far out to hold the card for each lens. Cost: free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up