Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas - poly-cotton vs cotton, whether to spray 1 side or both  (Read 32751 times)

samueljohnchia

Re: Canvas - poly-cotton vs cotton, whether to spray 1 side or both
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2014, 09:56:21 pm »

I was not charged for a sample pack...  ;D

del_pscc

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2014, 10:40:25 pm »

Showblade --

What "spring-loaded frames" are you referring to?

Thanks,

Dave.

"...those spring-loaded frames are great! No more sagging."

shadowblade

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2014, 10:11:55 am »

Showblade --

What "spring-loaded frames" are you referring to?

Thanks,

Dave.

"...those spring-loaded frames are great! No more sagging."

http://www.wunderbars.com/

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2014, 09:13:41 am »

How did it go?

I’ve been busy getting ready for and then participating in a show (nw folklife), and have been busy due to that.

I prepped and coated one sample about a week ago, but haven’t seen it since putting G2 on it. I’ll print on the other sample and coat it in the next week or so. At that time I’ll see the first one in a finished state.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2014, 11:02:18 pm »

I did a test with the Newlyn – Yosemite. I was sent a short sample roll and it was enough to profile and make couple of smallish prints. The untreated finish is akin to linen.

My Z3200 had no problem building a profile for it. I made a night time work and a finely nuanced pastel-like daylight work on this. The pastel work came out nice but the dark one was a bit blocked up. It may be fixable but anywho my main use for this media would be for pastels and warmer colors.

There are small bumps on the surface. I didn’t count but maybe 15 or so on a 2’ long segment. I don’t think these are defects but just the way the media is produced.

The first problem I encountered was when trying to remove dust and crud just before applying Glamour II (G2). It is difficult to remove dust or particulate matter from the surface. I use air in a can and the surface grabs stuff and doesn’t let it go. I didn’t find a good solution for this but may try a vaccuum.

I applied a purposefully heavy coat of G2. Given limited a sample I figured a little too much was better than two little. The finish cured okay. The finished surface feels a little like the texture of, well, about 100 grit sand paper. That’s what my partner said of it. The pastel work looks nice but it will be a dust magnet. I’m used to the finish of Lexjet Sunset Matt and this is a country away from that. I don’t think anyone could get away with using a damp cloth to clean this.

I used gator board as a backing and miracle muck to bond the work to the backing. The back of the media reminds me a little of cellophane. It is definitely not porous in the way typical canvas is porous. I noticed that it trapped air very easily while I was applying the work to the muck coated garboard. It did not want to lay flat without some effort and required a fair amount of massaging to get it to lay down completely.

In summary it’s about a 2.5 star PITA to work with.

My partner loves the texture and the weave. She wants me to buy a roll and produce some larger pastel works. She’s a woman and so her opinion is probably more important than mine.

I have a bunch of shows coming up and will work in a test of the monument valley media in the near future.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:05:30 pm by Justan »

shadowblade

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2014, 11:28:52 pm »

Thanks - a very useful test!

I did a test with the Newlyn – Yosemite. I was sent a short sample roll and it was enough to profile and make couple of smallish prints. The untreated finish is akin to linen.

My Z3200 had no problem building a profile for it. I made a night time work and a finely nuanced pastel-like daylight work on this. The pastel work came out nice but the dark one was a bit blocked up. It may be fixable but anywho my main use for this media would be for pastels and warmer colors.

I suspect this would be correctable with further profiling, and may be just a matter of how the Z3200 calculates its profiles by default. Canon printers tend to produce better details in dark areas than HP or Epson printers by default, and it's entirely due to the profile.

There are small bumps on the surface. I didn’t count but maybe 15 or so on a 2’ long segment. I don’t think these are defects but just the way the media is produced.

So, just like linen or raw cotton canvas.

The first problem I encountered was when trying to remove dust and crud just before applying Glamour II (G2). It is difficult to remove dust or particulate matter from the surface. I use air in a can and the surface grabs stuff and doesn’t let it go. I didn’t find a good solution for this but may try a vaccuum.

How long did you have to leave it to dry before coating it?

Leaving it to dry hanging vertically under a dust cover might be the way to go...

I applied a purposefully heavy coat of G2. Given limited a sample I figured a little too much was better than two little. The finish cured okay. The finished surface feels a little like the texture of, well, about 100 grit sand paper. That’s what my partner said of it. The pastel work looks nice but it will be a dust magnet. I’m used to the finish of Lexjet Sunset Matt and this is a country away from that. I don’t think anyone could get away with using a damp cloth to clean this.

Were you using glossy, lustre or matte varnish? If glossy, how was the final gloss.

Did you use one coat, or several?

Any problems with air bubbles, uneven coating, etc.?

I used gator board as a backing and miracle muck to bond the work to the backing. The back of the media reminds me a little of cellophane. It is definitely not porous in the way typical canvas is porous. I noticed that it trapped air very easily while I was applying the work to the muck coated garboard. It did not want to lay flat without some effort and required a fair amount of massaging to get it to lay down completely.

In summary it’s about a 2.5 star PITA to work with.

Presumably, you wouldn't have this problem when stretching it rather than mounting it. So it's a bit like mounting a polyester film or RC paper?

I have a bunch of shows coming up and will work in a test of the monument valley media in the near future.

Thanks again - looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:25:24 am by shadowblade »

shadowblade

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2014, 12:39:47 am »

By the way, how much shrinkage (in both length and width) did you record after printing and spraying?

Garry Sarre

• Photography by Sarre
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2014, 08:13:12 pm »

Someone mentioned earlier about the fabric from http://explosionofcolors.com.

I have been using it for 10 years...and tried plenty of others.

It is better in so many ways as compared to Canson and other major sellers.

This canvas has. Next to no metamerism, ie, very little color change in blue window light.

Much deeper blacks in 'real life conditions' as the infused coating does not reflect anywhere as much as the surface ones.. Even with three light coats of matte UV coating sprayed on.

I have literally put a sample through the wash, including spin dry. Looks great, although I wouldn't recommend it.

Simply the most beautiful looking material I have used.
Portrait Photographer and printer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up