I bought a MFD equipment last summer. Here is a summary of my experience:
1) What did I buy?
P45+, Hasselblad 555ELD and five lenses plus a Hasselblad Flexbody
2) Why did I buy?
Wanted to find out about MFD. Also, I bought two Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses and wanted to explore their full potential.
3) Do I like the stuff?
4) Is it better than D800E/Sony A7r or whatever?
I don't know. I have no Nikon and no Sony A7r
5) Is it better than my Sony Alpha equipment (Alpha 900, 77, and 99, and half a dozen lenses)?
There is a gain in resolution.
6) Is DR better on P45+ compared to the Sony's I have?
7) Is colour rendition better?
I don't know. There are some issues when I use LR5.3 which is my favourite raw converter, but I have solved them by "calibration". I have also tested C1.
Is aliasing an issue?
Yes, indeed. I see aliasing on many pictures. But, it may not matter for many users.
9) Do I use the stuff?
10) If I do something important, will I use the P45+ or resort to DSLR?
I would resort to the DSLR, but the Hasselblad 555ELD/P45+ combo is nothing for fast shooting. Would I have new Phase One/Rollei/Hasselblad/Contax stuff it may be different.
11) What is the main advantage I see?
12) What are the main disadvantages I see?
- Flexibility, two zooms on my DSLR cover more ground than my five primes on the Hasselblad
- Lack of live view
13) Are the pictures using MF better?
May be, may be not. I don't know.
14) Are the MF pictures better "out of camera"?
Interesting question. When I start working on the image I often feel the MFDB has a better starting point, but in the end I often find that the DSLR image is the one needing less work.
15) Is the aspect ratio better?
Interesting question. Using primes and 49x37 format leads sometimes to better images.
16) Would I buy the MFD equipment again?
17) Do I regard it as a bad investment?
18) Do I enjoy it?
19) Much of my photography involves travel by air. How do I handle it?
- If in doubt, he DSLR comes with me. MFD is second tier.
- I can pack DSLR with two zooms, the 555 ELD with the P45+ into cabin luggage and keep weight limits. Other lenses go into a B&W hard case that goes as checked luggage. The case is built like a tank.
20) I will go on a workshop, what equipment will I take?
- Both equipments go into the trunk of the car.
- But I think the DSLR will see most use. Using the DSLR is much more efficient.
21) Can I see differences in printed images?
- 17" width I don't think so.
- 30" width, probably.
22) Is MFD fun to use?
It depends on you definition of funÖ