Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to use 24" rolls on a 44" Printer?  (Read 1900 times)

uintaangler

Is it possible to use 24" rolls on a 44" Printer?
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:37:20 am »

Sorry if this is a stupid question  ???
If I buy a 44" printer, how hard is it to use 24" roll paper on a 44" printer?
Thanks.

shadowblade

Re: Is it possible to use 24" rolls on a 44" Printer?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:44:04 am »

Sorry if this is a stupid question  ???
If I buy a 44" printer, how hard is it to use 24" roll paper on a 44" printer?
Thanks.

Very easy.

Just remember to change the settings, otherwise the printer will think there's a 44" roll in there and try to print off the paper...

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:00:43 pm »

^What he said.

Plus, some printers will auto-detect the paper width.

The biggest detail is that when you print, be sure and select a print size and print orientation that fits the paper. Over time, many printer operators develop print size layouts intended for a variety of paper sizes. With my printer, for instance, I have layouts intended for 16” 24” and 44” paper widths. If I select a paper width that’s larger than the actual paper installed, that can make for a problem.

Also, you can waste a lot of paper if you print something landscape when portrait would more closley fit the installed paper width. If the print job offers a print preview option, this is very helpful to make sure you are getting the best use of the paper.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:02:06 pm »

Epson printers have a "paper size check" option, which checks that the width of your paper matches the size selected in your print job.  It can be turned off but is on by default. This ensures the printer does print wider than the paper in the machine in case you accidentally enter the wrong width of paper in your print job.

All of the 44" printers handle smaller width rolls easily and I think they all have similar functionality.  Most photographers who buy a 44" printer do it for the occasions when they want to print some large, but the majority of what they print is often much smaller.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:39:43 pm »

The Canon 8300 auto detects roll width as well.

Arcane thought for the day: one of the biggest wear and tear items on a printer is the number of times the printhead changes direction.  That stresses the most critical mechanical part of the printer which is the head drive mechanism.  As my lovely 8300 enters its old age I am trying to be kind by ganging up prints as much as possible on wide rolls which minimizes the number of direction changes per the amount of printing done.  That also reduces the time per print provided the arrangement of ganged up prints is efficient.  But gang printing requires a multitasking mindset that might not be comfortable for everyone.

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:48:18 pm »

I'm not sure that all RIPs auto-detect width, though.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:42:51 pm »

The Canon 8300 auto detects roll width as well.

Arcane thought for the day: one of the biggest wear and tear items on a printer is the number of times the printhead changes direction. 
new one to me.  I've haven't heard of a printer failing from this, but I guess it makes sense.  Eventually everything fails ...

ThomasR99

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:22:37 pm »

Hey, Wayne:

I thought I'd seen a similar number to this for an Epson 4900 (my unit), bit I couldn't find it.  From this website http://www.megawood.com.au/epson/epson_stylus_pro_11880.html I did find that the  11880 printer carriage motor is rated for 6.3 million passes, and the entire printer for 20,000 B0+ sheets.  I haven't bothered to count how many head passes my 4900 makes on a 16x24 inch print (my typical size), but I doubt I'm worrying about my carriage motor burning out in my lifetime.  The 3880 is rated for 20,000 A2 sheets.  Again, not a number I'm likely to hit if the 4900 rating is similar.

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 08:42:20 pm »

I doubt any photographer would ever need to worry about CR passes.  Proofers and some print-for-pay shops can achieve it inside 5 years, but only the very busy ones.
Phil Brown

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:52:37 pm »

I first heard about the concept when I requested a second year of renewal on my old Epson 7800 service contract.  The Epson rep helped my find the number down the service menus somewhere, I think it was encoded or in hex.  Accumulated stress from acceleration is what kills HP Z belts.  I've been keeping an increasingly suspicious eye on the somewhat beefier but similar belt in my 8300, it's lookin' good so far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up