Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samyang/Rokinon question  (Read 1840 times)

Herbc

Samyang/Rokinon question
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:15:35 am »

I have decided to order the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC lens.  It is on its way.

The various web sites describe it and 4 others by Sam/rok as new and FULL FRAME.

The B&H web site lists the ones they carry as APS-C.

I read a few reviews of the 14mm, and thought it worth a try.  Anybody have experience with this lens?- they also make cine lenses of the same focal length, and that has evidently caused confusion, at least in yours truly, as to which lens has click aperture stops and such.

Peter McLennan

Re: Samyang/Rokinon question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:19:09 am »

It definitely covers FF. Cine versions have no aperture click stops and have gears for focus rigs. Fun lens.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:23:38 am »

The Samyang 14mm is a full frame lens. Don't know why B&H says aps-c, just a bit of misinformation. The lens is very good optically and quite sharp even wide open. The only thing that is kind of an issue in some shots is that it has a pretty strong mustache distortion that can be difficult to get rid of completely. There are some user profiles available on the Adobe site and also PTlens has some profiles that work pretty well. It is only really an issue with architecture and flat horizons, at least IMO. The lens is a bargain for the most part. The one thing I do not like that much is that there is no exif information given by the lens, so you do not get a record of aperture used, you can add a chip that can do focus confirmation and focal length for some cameras. the other issue is that it can be costly to use filters, it has a bulbous front element, there are special filter holders out now that work with it. Samyang just introduced one but it uses Tiffen filters which I have always seen color casts in and not sure other filters will work.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:49:25 am »

+1

Some samples here: http://echophoto.smugmug.com/Technical/Samyang-1428/

Best regards
Erik

The Samyang 14mm is a full frame lens. Don't know why B&H says aps-c, just a bit of misinformation. The lens is very good optically and quite sharp even wide open. The only thing that is kind of an issue in some shots is that it has a pretty strong mustache distortion that can be difficult to get rid of completely. There are some user profiles available on the Adobe site and also PTlens has some profiles that work pretty well. It is only really an issue with architecture and flat horizons, at least IMO. The lens is a bargain for the most part. The one thing I do not like that much is that there is no exif information given by the lens, so you do not get a record of aperture used, you can add a chip that can do focus confirmation and focal length for some cameras. the other issue is that it can be costly to use filters, it has a bulbous front element, there are special filter holders out now that work with it. Samyang just introduced one but it uses Tiffen filters which I have always seen color casts in and not sure other filters will work.

Alan
Erik Kaffehr

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:02:08 am »

Yes, it's great buy, my second most used lens.
The previous comments cover most issues. The only thing unsaid is that a few people have found the focussing scale incorrect, but if buying new just send it back and get a replacement.
For thousand of samples and some discussion about the lens look at  http://www.flickr.com/groups/14/

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:33:34 pm »

Great lens, covers FF, OK for astrophotography at f/2.8 and good at f/4, heroic vignetting, the mustache distortion as noted earlier, and it will have a less-expensive filter solution soon. I posted about the filter set-up a few months ago here.

Most importantly, you get more smiles per buck from this lens than any other lens. Bargain, even if you are just using it occasionally.

Herbc

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:05:01 pm »

Many thanks, guys (and Nancy).  I was on the B&H chat room site with some dude who insisted it was APS-C, so I finally gave up and ordered it.

jwstl

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 03:41:16 pm »

Many thanks, guys (and Nancy).  I was on the B&H chat room site with some dude who insisted it was APS-C, so I finally gave up and ordered it.

As others have stated, it's definitely FF. I've had it for quite awhile and have only used it on my D800e.

robdickinson

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 03:43:07 pm »

Use it mostly for astro stuff on a 5d2, is full frame.

jwstl

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:46:12 pm »

Here's the Rokinon product page for the Nikon AE versions which clearly states it's for FF as well as APS-C:

http://rokinon.com/product.php?id=176

robdickinson

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 03:48:49 pm »

The 8mm fisheye and 16mmf2.0 are both crops.

stamper

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 04:07:17 am »

I have the 8mm 1: 3.5 fisheye and it isn't a crop it is FF . Also the 6.5 is FF. :)

Paulowen

• www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 04:17:21 am »

Definitely FF!! I love it!! One BIG disappointment was the recently released filter holder. The filters (Cokin) are superb quality but the holder is ... very poorly designed. The big problem is that the design of the holder means that any filters used in the first slot simply slip out of the rail as the fit is too tight/rail too narrow and they have to be forced into place. No way to adjust gap between rails/holder either. Resulted in a (brand new) ND 3 Stop filter slipping off rail as it had to be tugged along the gap and hitting lens hood of 14mm - result ... scratched filter  >:(
I was hoping/expecting that filters would move/slide freely as per Cokin/Lee/Hitech holders - this is not the case. Even if the outermost rail is used then the filter has to be tugged along it - impossible to correctly place a ND Grad filter.
I contacted UK supplier who showed little interest so I cut the filter down (avoiding the scratch) using an Exacto knife and it now fits my Cokin X Pro holder!
I am now resigned to using the X Pro holder and universal adapter on the Samyang 14mm!
Pages: [1]   Go Up