Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simplicity in snow.  (Read 3882 times)

leuallen

Simplicity in snow.
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:32 pm »

In the past I've packed my cameras away starting early December and didn't bring them out again until mid March. I hate the cold. This year I decided to brave it a little and give it a go. I've found that I was missing a lot and there were lots of opportunities that I've overlooked. Now I love shooting in the snow. I like the the simplicity that the white covering envelopes over the landscape. I particularly like the hay bales and tree because of the simplicity of the geometric composition and the soft colors. I've shot these same bales last autumn and the result is no where as good as the winter scene. The snow removed the distracting elements and allowed the composition to shine through.

The farm houses along the road is a scene I see often on the road to home. This particular night near sunset the colors were so soft and beautiful and the light good that I finally stopped and took a picture. Glad I did. I like the muted colors and simplicity of the composition.

The three trees in the cemetery look so perfectly placed and the branches so lacy. Again the snow has made to colors soft and beautiful. This a beautiful little small town cemetery that has given me many photo opportunities.

So I must ask some questions if I am to receive any replies. How do you feel about photos that sacrifice abundant detail and sharpness for simplicity and strength in composition? I think I am getting tired of landscapes taken with super rez cameras and optics with abundant detail, sharpness for to aft, and strong colors. This winter seems to have altered my vision. I think I'm headed to the Pictorialist‎ movement and away from the f64 crowd.

Is there any genera of photos that you have avoided in the past and that you might consider trying in the future?

Of the three photos, which works the best?

Larry

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Simplicity in snow.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:38:37 am »

The standout for me is #3, which really is the simplest of the three. The hay bales and tree are quite fine together and I like the wide open space around them.

The first one is my second choice, again with the spacious sky and field. I would be tempted to clone out the stubble near the lower right corner, as it seems to distract a bit from the row of buildings and trees that are the main center of interest.

I am all in favor of simplifying.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:52:01 am »

+1
Same here

francois

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:57 am »

The third is also my favorite… Simplicity is the keyword.
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:29:49 am »

#3 also for me. Perhaps with a slight crop on the left, to balance the composition a bit.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:42:24 am »

#3 also for me. Perhaps with a slight crop on the left, to balance the composition a bit.

+1
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 11:25:12 am »

It's a great thing being an amateur without assignments or the pressure to produce more of what sells, allowing us to branch out and try all sorts of things with this amazing modern equipment.
#3 is moving most strongly in the minimalist direction.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 12:45:35 pm »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 02:31:36 am »

I also prefer the third image, although I'd want to try it in B&W.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

John R

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 08:48:03 pm »

As far as I am concerned, an effective composition that makes a simple strong statement trumps everything regardless of the technique employed. I don't think one needs to sacrifice anything to make a strong composition. If you choose to make the whites whiter and not grayish, of course you will lose detail in those areas. But taking the whole image into consideration, it works well. If people view a snowy image as requiring more white, it is probably because they think it looks better whiter. I like all three, because they have a soft ethereal quality, and that is an artistic choice that works well in all three images. Many year ago I read somewhere that what photographers strive to achieve in their work is, "Simplicity without monotony; variety without confusion." It is a very profound observation.

BTW, is that Boston Mills cemetery? A superb rendition. I have some of the cemetery where I used multiple exposures to give a completely different look.

JR
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:05:50 pm by John R »

leuallen

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45:23 pm »

wolfnow

I think it works better in color. Contrast between the warm hay bales and surrounding soft blue colors.

John R.

No. The cemetery is a small one in Minier, Il., about 10 miles from home. I have taken some interesting pictures there. It is one the edge of town and surrounded on three sides by large expanses of corn fields. In this photo I particularly like the three trees. An interesting progression is size and interesting shapes, especially the lace like branches. One of those scenes that when driving by slowly my brain says 'Whoa' and I excitedly jump out of the car with camera.

I was particularly fortunate with the light. It snowed the day/night before but the morning was greeted a slight overcast sky with a bright, hazy sun peeking through. A wonderful bright but soft light. Those conditions lasted for three days and I was out for every one of them. Following that, warm temperatures in the 40's caused a very heavy ground fog which gave some nice pictorial opportunities. Since then it has been crap so I have rested. Waiting for fresh snow and opportunities. Here is one of the foggy pictures taken near the river.

Larry

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:45:09 pm »

The foggy one is very different in spirit from the earlier three, but it is also very fine indeed.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 01:36:41 am »

Yup.
+1 to the foggy one.
Cheers
~Chris

francois

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 05:42:13 am »

This last one is indeed very different, more mysterious I would say. I like it too.
Francois

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:09:21 pm »

Yaaaaahhhh - a winter convert. Winter is like having a new canvas every year and a completely new way of seeing. Welcome to winter!!  (And great shots, too)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

John R

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 01:46:39 pm »

Larry, your winter "fog"shot is superb. Lots of mystery and well composed. I thought I would post a snap I took today of Boston Mills, so you can see how similar they look. But Boston Mills does not have those wonderful white birches.

JR

Pages: [1]   Go Up