Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hum...  (Read 4594 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Hum...
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 02:16:27 am »

In reply to Christoph, yes, I like it.  My first thought was of how the tallest tree on the right is mimicked by the antenna tower in the background, becoming almost mirrors for each other.  I also like how the two smaller stumps provide an 'almost' square frame for the square building in the background, so the forms work well for me.  There's a sense that the natural and the man-made, the trees and the buildings both have to face the same storm together, so are they adversaries, or are they thrown together by conditions?  Are there things I would change if it was mine?  Probably.  I'm not happy with the black corner in the upper right, and I find the contrast a little high for me, but that's looking at a compressed jpg and we all know what that means.

So, my 'Well done, Bernard' is entirely my own.  ;)

Mike.

And yes, I have 'fond' (?) memories of working outside for 12+ hours a day in conditions like that...
If your mind is attuned t

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Hum...
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 07:40:48 pm »

For what it's worth, I have not posted this image to get praise and I don't find it particularly outstanding myself.

I tend to be pretty objective about the value of what I do relative to what I am trying to achieve and pleasing is not really very important to me. This doesn't mean I don't appreciate people liking what I do, but that criteria has little weight in influencing my choices during capture and post-processing.

I posted this image here because I am unsure whether it works for me in the first place. It is a deviation from what I usually do:
- The B&W conversion is pretty over-done,
- The composition is not as balanced as what I usually do, in particular in terms of the conflicting heigth of the tree and tower,

Now, there are things that I like:
- The co-existence of nature and man made,
- The feeling of coldness,
- The co-existence of different lights/of the contrasty and soft light,

So I appreciate the comments.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up