Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iq160 Vs. Leaf Credo 60  (Read 3598 times)

perrettiphoto

• Philadelphia Food Photographer
Iq160 Vs. Leaf Credo 60
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:51:15 pm »

Hello!
Food Photographer here...

Looking to purchase a medium format system. I have narrowed it down to two possible choices. In your personal experiences what do you recommend?

-Felicia  ;D
Felicia Perretti
Food Photographer
www.perrettiphotography.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Iq160 Vs. Leaf Credo 60
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:15:02 pm »

Differences that probably don't matter much to food photography:
- hard buttons: this is more useful for people shooting outside in cold weather in so far as it allows you to do basic navigation and settings without taking off thick gloves in the cold

Differences that may impact your main area of work:
- color profiles: there are no pros or cons here, just a difference you need to be aware of. The Credo and IQ are profiled differently following different lines of historical priority/taste. While you can, to some extent, work the file in post to make one more like the other, this is never 100% possible and in any case requires work. Some people prefer Leaf color, others prefer Phase color - only you can decide.
- warranty availability of a 5 year VA warranty for the IQ. This includes a license for C1 Pro, a loaner during any service, a few accessories (including the Hassy V mount lens adapter which can be nice as the Hassy F series 110/2.0 lens is nice for shallow DOF food shots) and a free swap of mounts/platforms.
- focus mask: this is fairly useful for determining focus, but it's VERY useful to determining Scheimpflug movements.
- auto horizon/perspective correction: if you want to PC your shot the IQ will allow auto correction at the time of tethered capture or single/batch correction during post processing. This is because the IQ records, in the metadata, the tilt/rotation of the back at the time of capture while the Credo does not. Less important for plates, but can be useful for bottle shots, box shots, and other shots with tall strong verticals.
- price: for obvious reasons

My suggestion is what it always is. If at all possible (and living in Philly where my colleague Lance Schad lives it's very possible) test both backs in a test shoot, try the feature difference to see if they are useful to your shooting style, and spend some time with the files, and then decide based on what suits your fancy. Other's opinions will only get you so far.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:22:38 pm by Doug Peterson »

perrettiphoto

• Philadelphia Food Photographer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:24:51 pm »

Thank You!! :D
Felicia Perretti
Food Photographer
www.perrettiphotography.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13:04 pm »

Doug

When did Phase One start including a Capture One Pro license? 
I just remembered the upgrades don't get Pro just a CD with C1 DB.  Always felt they could upgrade the BD to a pro license.  I forgot this was a totally new back the OP is looking at.

Paul C

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:16:57 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:03:41 pm »

When did Phase One start including a Capture One Pro license?

It's been included with the VA warranty for at least five years.

But it is NOT included with the classic warranty.

Of course if all you're using it with is the digital back Capture One DB has all the same features and is free.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 01:40:02 am »

Note that Credo can be ordered with a Gold Package 3 yr warranty which includes a Capture One Pro licence key, one mount exchange, a suitcase and a few other bits and pieces.
As Doug suggested, having a reseller rep in your area can be handy...

Good luck!

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 06:58:59 am »

It's been included with the VA warranty for at least five years.

But it is NOT included with the classic warranty.

Of course if all you're using it with is the digital back Capture One DB has all the same features and is free.

Doug,  but only on a new back purchase?  If you upgrade from say a 160 to a 260 and get a value add warranty, you don't get the pro license, right?

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken R

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:23:44 am »

Hello!
Food Photographer here...

Looking to purchase a medium format system. I have narrowed it down to two possible choices. In your personal experiences what do you recommend?

-Felicia  ;D

IMHO The IQ160 is more versatile in that its extra features, like focus mask, make it better for when using a technical camera, and others, like sensor +, increase its capability in low light work with an SLR. That is the main reason I chose it over the Credo 60 but it was a close call. Like it has been mentioned they basically share the same screen and excellent chassis (except the buttons) of the IQ backs. I love mine!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:20 am »

Doug,  but only on a new back purchase?  If you upgrade from say a 160 to a 260 and get a value add warranty, you don't get the pro license, right?

P1 warranty and upgrade inclusions:
https://digitaltransitions.com/page/phase-one-warranty-information

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:58:57 am »

Yes, that's one I guess I will never understand.  Cost of the software to Phase One is a nit, to pass on an extra license for Pro. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up