Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson vs Hahnemuhle Papers  (Read 5994 times)

pflower

Epson vs Hahnemuhle Papers
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »

For some years now I have been printing on glossy paper from an Epson 3880 - either the Harmon or Ilford papers.  Before that I only printed on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 310.  I am now thinking of going back to a matte paper but before simply ordering some Photo Rag, I see a lot of people talking with huge enthusiasm about Epson's papers - particularly the Cold and Hot Press Naturals and the Ultrasmooth.  These are difficult to find in the UK and from what I can tell are only sold in sizes A3+ or greater so sample packs or small A4 packs for testing are out.

Can anyone briefly outline their perceptions of the differences between the Epson papers and Photo Rag or is that a stupid question?

Thanks

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Epson vs Hahnemuhle Papers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:58:10 pm »

I've purchased small (8.5x11 inch) sheets of Epson Hot Press, so at least in the US small sheets are available.
- Dean

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:02:42 pm »

I've purchased small (8.5x11 inch) sheets of Epson Hot Press, so at least in the US small sheets are available.

Just started using the Cold Press Natural in the 81/2 X 11in size,this is on my R3000 printer.
My results so far have been excellent.,right now,I'm using them for portrait/people  images
Normally,I've been using the luster,semi-gloss,pearl type papers,for the last 6-7 years
This paper,is now on the top of my paper list.
I have a few more Matte Epson fine art papers en route,and will post back with my impressions.

Hope this info helps,
Mike

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »

Do any of these A4 sample packs fit the bill?

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/product/epson-signature-worthy-a4-trial-pack/650-120A/
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-epson-a4-signature-worthy-sample-pack-20-sheets/p10001808

Yes,they both do.
Not sure which retailer ships overseas,if that is what you need,your location is not in your profile.
If you are in the USA..I'd order directly from Epson,=free shipping
As I said ,I've only used the Cold press Natural,the rest of my order will be coming in end of week
Make sure you use the epson icc profile for this paper,it is right on the money..IMHO.

Good Luck,
Mike

TonyW

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 03:59:30 pm »

Mike, the answer was for the OP pflower who I believe is looking for suppliers in the UK  :)  Looks like Epson UK will also supply https://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/search?searchKey=signature+worthy

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:14:06 pm »

Tony,
Tnx for the correction..

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:23 pm »

You can also get sample packs from Hahnemühle and Canson-Infinity.

The Epson hot and cold pressed papers are, at least in the US, excellent papers for the price. They are very good papers regardless of the price. I don’t know what price differential, if any, there is in Europe.

But for a smooth hot pressed cotton paper, I have a strong preference for Canson Rag Photographique 310. It is smoother than either the Epson Hot Press(ed) or the Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308, contains no OBAs, and doesn't have the curling problems of the other two. I used Hahnemühle Photo Rag prior to switching to the Canson paper.

Brian A

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:37:04 pm »

You can also get sample packs from Hahnemühle and Canson-Infinity.

The Epson hot and cold pressed papers are, at least in the US, excellent papers for the price. They are very good papers regardless of the price. I don’t know what price differential, if any, there is in Europe.

But for a smooth hot pressed cotton paper, I have a strong preference for Canson Rag Photographique 310. It is smoother than either the Epson Hot Press(ed) or the Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308, contains no OBAs, and doesn't have the curling problems of the other two. I used Hahnemühle Photo Rag prior to switching to the Canson paper.

Brian A

Brian,
Would you recommend the Ilford Gold Fiber Silk,as a close second to the canson photographique?
Recently,I started to use the canson photographique ICC profile on the Ilford GFS,paer,with good result
S.

Mike

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:21:17 am »

Oh definitely. And especially since Ilford went out of business. There is little difference between the two that I can discern. The surface texture is slightly different, but that seems mainly due to a different base paper under the baryta coating. The two papers are almost identical in most regards.

Using the same profile for both isn’t unheard of.

Brian A

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 06:11:36 am »

Sihl and Papergraphics have some papers that come close to the Epson Cold and Hot pressed Neutral types. Similar weight but the semi dual sided character of the Epson papers is not available. Papergraphics is originally from the UK but has a Dutch shop too.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:01:03 pm »

I tried both Epson Hot and Cold press papers but found that in the end I preferred Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth which I've used for several years now when printing matte.  There are a bunch of test samples on Aardenburg and the stability tests look quite good.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up