Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Home Page Photo  (Read 5206 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: New Home Page Photo
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 03:07:49 pm »

Enlighten me - how do you output sharpen for screen in LR then?

Well, Michael gave an example of how he does it in post #14

I've done some research for a more elaborate output sharpening for display with Lightroom and Photoshop here, and for the zoom issue one could devise a different filter, or post sharpening settings, depending on one's workflow preferences.

The point is that downsampling, if it doesn't create ugly aliasing artifacts, also blurs the micro-contrast. Not addressing that blur, which gets even worse with a quick zoom upsample to 125% or more, leaves a lot of quality on the table.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »

On our project list at LuLa is to bring back the photo page where we are not restricted to the present width.  We are working on this feature as well as galleries and a few other things.  Patience please.

And, Michael described what we do to post our images and it has worked fine.  Photoshop save for web does a nice job.  Take a look at it as it has a number of options for optimizing for web output.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 04:01:41 pm »

Thanks for the link, Bart.
I tried 6 ways of output sharpening now:

- No sharpening like I did before
- No sharpening, but apply the custom filter you mentioned in your linked post
- LR output sharpening for screen, "standard"
- LR output sharpening for screen, "standard" plus the custom filter
- LR output sharpening for screen, "low"
- LR output sharpening for screen, "low" plus the custom filter

I compared the original in LR with the reduced JPegs in PS with all variants mentioned above on screen, with the LR variant zoomed to an almost identical size.
My subjective impression is, that any variant with LR output sharpening enabled looks sharper than the original and to my eye oversharpened.
The only variant acceptable to my eyes was the application of your custom filter to the unsharpened LR export,
which I found indeed an acceptable enhancement.
Your custom filter does a good job, but I still don't like the output sharpening applied by LR.

Cheers and Thanks
~Chris
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:09:18 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Farmer

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 04:27:11 pm »

Are a lot of people regularly zooming in their browsers?  I rarely use it, so I'm surprised that a few people have suggested it's not uncommon.  Granted my eyesight is still around 20/12 (being over 40, that could literally change any day, and certainly will at some point, which I'm not looking forward to!) but does zooming in help that much for most people (as opposed to wearing glasses etc)?

I know this is moving the topic a bit, but I find it very interesting when thinking about website construction (for anything, not just photos).
Phil Brown

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »

How the file is prepped is the most important thing. Here's what I do...

Sharpen the image properly in Lightroom to begin with.

Then, in Lightroom, choose output size, select sRGB, and most importantly "Sharpen for Screen".

Next, in Photoshop choose Save for Web, jpeg "Hi" Optimized.

This is what I've been doing for years, and seems to produce the sharpest looking web files.

Michael

I'm not sure I understand this last step in PS.   Are you exporting the image from LR as a jpeg and then opening in PS to save again with Hi Optimized?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re:
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 04:33:09 pm »

I zoom in for reading and I zoom to 1:1 for watching photographs. But sometimes I just watch zoomed and blurred photographs. Rarely I wonder about a blurry image and then zoom out.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 04:41:39 pm »

How the file is prepped is the most important thing. Here's what I do...

Sharpen the image properly in Lightroom to begin with.

Then, in Lightroom, choose output size, select sRGB, and most importantly "Sharpen for Screen".

Next, in Photoshop choose Save for Web, jpeg "Hi" Optimized.

This is what I've been doing for years, and seems to produce the sharpest looking web files.
I came across this sharpen for web PS action and tried it out against my PS action and also LR's export.
Both PS actions did a better job than just LR, which is annoying as exporting directly from LR is such a good workflow.   :-\

Are you exporting from LR then importing to PS and saving for web? As that what it seems like. Which is an odd process as why save again from PS?  ???
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:43:58 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 06:10:57 pm »

Are a lot of people regularly zooming in their browsers?  I rarely use it, so I'm surprised that a few people have suggested it's not uncommon.

Hi Phil,

I do not have to zoom in, but due to the high display PPI (the operating system and) the Web browser(s) automatically decide(s) to zoom in to 125%. I can reset that temporarily to 100% with CTRL+0 on Windows 7.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Farmer

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 09:18:27 pm »

Interesting - thanks for the feedback, Bart.
Phil Brown
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up