Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Stopper anomoly  (Read 852 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Big Stopper anomoly
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:27:54 pm »

I did the first image yesterday under similar conditions and it performed as advertised. Because of some restrictions to bending and such from recent cataract surgery, it is a rather mundane shot - but I wanted to try it out. This afternoon in absolutely abhorrent conditions, I made a similar 15 second exposure and got this weird "purple area" in the middle of the frame. Can anyone explain what caused this? Filter is clean as a whistle and all shots made without the filter are free and clear.

Big stopper one: Bridge shot

Big Stopper two: Dock

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

stamper

Re: Big Stopper anomoly
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:51:03 am »

Light leakage? I take it you inserted the filter into it's holder? If there is gap anywhere between the holder and the lens then light entering could be a problem?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:35:10 am »

Light leak on the sensor through the eye piece viewfinder.
If your camera has the eye piece shutter cover you need to use it.
That will usually do the trick.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:39:06 am by Dan Berg »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:37:09 am »

Thanks, guys. I narrowed it down to some type of light leak and in my excitement to use this filter completely forgot the viewfinder cover. Fortunately, the D800 has this feature. I always feel silly when I make a simple mistake but it is how we learn, eh.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:35:31 am »

Issue resolved. Light leak through viewfinder. Took two test exposures this am. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up