Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Operated Flash Units Wireless Synced  (Read 8615 times)

jvora

Battery Operated Flash Units Wireless Synced
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »

Hello :

I am looking to purchase Battery Operated Flash Units ( not necessary Nikon branded ) that can be manually controlled ( say, from Full Power to 1/32nd or even 1/64th power ) for which I have the following questions :

1. How can they all ( say, 8 to 10 units ) be Wireless-ly sync-ed ?

2. Although manual control is what I wish, having TTL option in addition to manual may not be a bad idea.

3. Any flash brands & models other than Nikon that would take on professional use, seek your recommendations based on the above requirements ?

4. For Flash Output to be converted to Tungsten ( 3400˚ k ) which is the recommended Filter 1. Full C.T. Orange, 2. Three-Quarters C.T. Orange, 3. Half C.T. Orange  OR 4. Another Filter ?

5. Same question as no. 4., but converting Flash Output to 3200˚ K ?

Shall await your replies -

Thanks in advance !

Jai

ps : Question maybe cross-posted.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Battery Operated Flash Units Wireless Synced
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:30:06 pm »

1. For the Nikon sync, it's both IR for the SU 800 controller and low-power flash pulses when using a flash as a master, both built-in and either shoe-mounted or TTL cabled to the body.

2. You are right, wireless-TTL is almost a no-brainer, especially with the Nikon CLS system, IMO.

3. I can't answer. I've only used Nikon TTL flashes for battery-powered output with the exception of my Elinchorm Ranger units with is a whole other world.

4/5. Since most of the Nikon, Canon and other small, battery-powered TTL/Manual flashes usually are excessively cool in color temp, you'll need to test. Usually, the CTO series is all one needs. I use 1/8th CTOs on nearly all my Nikon flashes to pop skin tones. The included filters with the SB 700/800/9x0 is suppose to get you about 3400°K, but your results may vary.

I would get some gels, all the same brand, and would get a series of CTO from 1/8 to full and then start stacking and trying to see either how your particular camera renders and rates the color temp and most importantly, how they look to you in the final image. Gels run about $5-7 a sheet and a sheet will give you a several year supply for several flashes.

HTH,

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:09:30 am »

Given your requirements, the Nikon speedlights are the best choice. The CLS system will let you control many units wirelessles, both in TTL and manual.

To convert to lower color temps, you'll need to test various strengths of gel filters, because much depends on the color output of the flash unit, and your post processing. A CTO gel is a good starting point for both 3200 and 3400.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jvora

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »

Many thanks for the replies - Will test the CTO filters of various grades - Based on the reply, perhaps, Nikon Flashes is the way to go -

Jai

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:47:58 pm »

When you said "wireless" I immediately thought "radio or infrared" but of course those aren't your only options.

Depending on your shooting environment, it's possible to sync all the flash units optically if they are on manual. This can be much less expensive -- many of the Chinese speedlight units beloved by the Strobists have built in optical slave units, so you could have one master either on camera, or using a radio trigger, and all the others would fire at the same time.

There are issues with optical slaves, of course -- the slave has to "see" the other flash unit(s), and other people's cameras will fire your lights. Also, the speedlights would be all manual control, no TTL possible.

But if you can get past those challenges, the speedlights are half the cost of Nikon or Canon speedlights, or even less. You can check the Strobist web site for suggestions on brands and models.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Colorado David

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:49:03 pm »

I watched a lynda.com feature recently by a guy who uses several Chinese made manual flash units that seem to work for him.  They are about a fourth of the cost of a top of the line Nikon Speedlight.  As already pointed out, they are manual only.  Even so, I have been tempted.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29:05 am »

Hello :

I am looking to purchase Battery Operated Flash Units ( not necessary Nikon branded ) that can be manually controlled ( say, from Full Power to 1/32nd or even 1/64th power ) for which I have the following questions :

2. Although manual control is what I wish, having TTL option in addition to manual may not be a bad idea.

3. Any flash brands & models other than Nikon that would take on professional use, seek your recommendations based on the above requirements ?

4. For Flash Output to be converted to Tungsten ( 3400˚ k ) which is the recommended Filter 1. Full C.T. Orange, 2. Three-Quarters C.T. Orange, 3. Half C.T. Orange  OR 4. Another Filter ?

5. Same question as no. 4., but converting Flash Output to 3200˚ K ?

Thanks in advance !

Jai

ps : Question maybe cross-posted.

I'll ruffle a few feathers with this, but OEM flashes are far from professional use strobes.  They're more in the hobbyist or advanced hobbyist range for some of the latest/best versions.

A professional use strobe should have a duty cycle that won't slow you down, the ability to pop full power after full power cycles with thermal protection kicking in (or melting a flash) if that's what your current job requires.  This includes the ability to quickly recharge and be back in action even after a full power flash is mandatory.  They should have a ton of power.. flash from 200 feet away is possible.

A professional flash is field serviceable.  Batteries, modules, and especially bulbs should be able to be changed in a minute or two tops.

A professional flash makes minimal use of the hard to read LCD's in any environment including bright sunlight.  Ideally dedicated dials are available.

Professional flashes should have above all else a superior light quality.  Consistent temps as well.  Some of the better ones approach studio strobe quality light quality.

And professional flashes will be built on a system approach.. so you can add what you need, as you need it, much like the reason you'd choose Nikon or Canon for a DSLR system and not some of the newer brands who have yet to fill out a "system" of cameras and accessories.

Professional flashes should also take advantage of the cameras technology, TTL, ETTL, manual, whatever.. and a good professional system will let you mix and match these technologies for use at the same time.

AND.. professional gear is both rebuildable and upgradeable.  Pros use their equipment a lot.  You shouldn't have to buy a new $600 strobe because it melted, or because the latest camera came out with a new feature or system, or if the batteries lose their edge.. Everything should be both rebuildable, and upgradeable at a reasonable price.  It really sucks that your FITSU KK600 lights won't work or will only have limited function with a new camera model OR won't support the new camera model so you need to buy a new flash as you upgrade your camera..   All you should have to do is send them in, pay a fee (the company I'll recommend charges from $39 to $79 for camera upgrades so all new features of the newest model are now supported, to I think $100-$150 to rebuild a battery pack.

Oh.. and pro units don't run off a bag of AA batteries.. they just don't.

And pro units make use of professional grade modifiers including a quality bare bulb.

And finally.. a pro system will allow use of OEM speedlights because everyone makes a mistake and tries to get by with them for pro use.. or they come from a hobbyist bag but now need to work in a pro bag.

Sure, buying in is expensive.  2-3 strobes, your choice of radio transmitters/receivers/transceivers, field spare parts, mounts, modifiers, etc..  But once in they're far less expensive to maintain, upgrade, rebuild, and field service.  And of course you won't lose jobs because your flash melts down, can't handle the required duty cycle, can't recharge fast enough (how annoying is it for models, wedding party members, etc.. to have to wait  for a flash to recharge?  They laugh the first time, by the end of a shoot its damn uncomfortable), or can't be configured for a complex job..

Check out the tutorials, they'll tell you more than any list of specs, but the specs are useful.  The newest tutorials will show how the newest features are used, the older ones the basic features.. at least that's the way I remember it.

www.qtm.com

Good luck.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Lightsmith

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:43:24 pm »

Best setup I have found for this is with Quantum flash heads and battery packs and their exceptional FreeXwire system. I can have wireless TTL that is 100% reliable at distances up to 600 feet. I can make 1/3 EV changes with the twist of a dial on the DW22 on the camera's hotshoe or I can set up multiple zones for varying the lighting ratios and do this all from a single master flash.

It provides for remote focus and shutter release as well as remote triggering of one or more flash units. Very compact and works with Canon for eTTL and Nikon with iTTL and TTL with any other cameras. Easily the most versatile and full featured setup and power to spare with the different battery options.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:46:58 pm »

Hello :

read this site = http://flashhavoc.com/ , a lot of info

so far the best bang per $ is Yongnuo 560 MkIII with radio receivers inside ($70 per flash) and soon to be released transmitter for it that will allow remote manual power control... till then some cheap Yongnuo transmitter will do the job (albeit w/o remote manual power control)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:10:01 pm »

Wait a month or two and get the Profoto B1 monolight . 9 stop range ( 2 to 500 w-s) battery powered, very short flash duration (especially in Freeze mode) and wireless TTL control  via the Profoto Air TTL controller. The Canon version of the Air TTL Controller is shipping now and the Nikon version should be shipping shortly. http://www.profoto.com/blog/off-camera-flash/camera-flash-faq/

leuallen

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:22:17 pm »

I just picked up two Cheetha 850's (Godox rebranded but with USA warranty and service). About as powerful as the large Canon/Nikons. Strictly manual with wireless tripping and power change (down to 128). Zoom 24-105.  Very user friendly controls. Easy to adjust power. It is a breakthrough in that it uses a Lithium battery which gives fast recycle and about 600 full pops, good bye AA's. About $180. One draw back is that the head does not rotate, only tilts but this is not too bad as this is basically an off camera flash.

I think that they just introduced a TTL model with about the same specs. I don't know what camera it works with. I would hope the TTL model would rotate as well as tilt as this would be a good on camera flash.

Ellis, ouch! Profoto $$$. Cheetha also has a larger model (bare bulb) with about 360 ws that uses the same triggers. This also has a Lithium battery but in a pack instead of in the flash body.

The Cheetha build quality seems solid to me but only time will tell.

Larry

Vladimirovich

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 10:58:47 pm »

Ellis, ouch! Profoto $$$.
based on the fact that the OP mentioned Nikons he was asking about "speedlites", not about the likes of Prophoto.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:32 am »

based on the fact that the OP mentioned Nikons he was asking about "speedlites", not about the likes of Prophoto.

I re-read jvora's question again. There is no mention of limiting what he is looking for to a hotshoe mountable flash. In fact he's looking for an off camera TTL controllable flash and the battery powered Profoto B1 fits that description. If you think the cost is high, And you need to gang up multiple light to get more light out of a source, compare the price of a B1 to four SB-910s or Canon 600EX-RTS.

Some Guy

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 09:24:05 am »

For a hotshoe flash I'd look at the newest Odin Photixx Mitros+ for Nikon (Plus is newest model), especially if you are using so many of them.  It has both wireless RF or Nikon CLS, and TTL too.  CLS never works for me in bright sunlight as the Nikon CLS gets blinded and doesn't work, and I've spent a long time trying to figure out what is wrong the the dumb thing when it happens.  RF wireless would be the way to go.  Link: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/01/28/new-phottix-mitros-ttl-transceiver-flash-for-nikon.aspx/

A Lee #204 filter would take you from daylight (6500K) to 3200K.  I buy a 20" square sheet of the stuff for about $6 at the local theater lighting shop.  You can cut up a bunch of covers to tape on all the heads for that price.

SG

Ellis Vener

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:04 pm »

For Flash Output to be converted to Tungsten ( 3400˚ k ) which is the recommended Filter

Your first suggestion is technically correct: a 1. Full C.T. Orange, however you might try adding a weak straw or flame to the gel mix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up