Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flea markets  (Read 960 times)

stamper

Flea markets
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:58:18 am »

Glasgow's - Scotland - flea market. I shudder, whenever I pass it, at the thought that people shop in this street. :(

Rob C

Re: Flea markets
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:36:02 am »

If there's one thing amiss with these sorts of shots on digital - only IMO, of course - it's the lack of the real grain effect.
A huge part of the ethic was bolstered by the concept of 'stolen' sots via the use of fast negative film; remove that strong element and we are, essentially, really just looking at crisp and shiny pictures of something not very nice.

I'm not sure that adding digital grain will cut it: I've done that for some skin shots and it works to a point - but just looks too precise and pointy to be the real deal; even Tri X grain was a little softer-looking than digital, if not as rolling as was Ilford's HP3/4 range of offerings. Adding a touch of blur to a noised-up digital still looks less than convincing to me.

Maybe it's worth having another go at film, just for these types of shot? You might fall in love.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:28 am »

Rob, Try Silver Efex Pro, and select something like Tri-X or Ilford HP5. Silver Efex is smart enough to give the grain patterns a realistic effect and simulate those films pretty effectively, and you can increase the grain to give it that pushed look.

Frankly I don't think the medium has much to do with the effectiveness of shots like this one. I don't think a great deal of this particular shot. "City Reality" was much better, but Stamper's getting out there and shooting and he does good work. Bravo!, Stamper.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:04:27 am »

Thanks Russ. I tend to go through "phases" and trying to do "street" is the phase that I am going through at the moment. When the weather is poor it makes sense.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:02 am »

Rob, Try Silver Efex Pro, and select something like Tri-X or Ilford HP5. Silver Efex is smart enough to give the grain patterns a realistic effect and simulate those films pretty effectively, and you can increase the grain to give it that pushed look.

Frankly I don't think the medium has much to do with the effectiveness of shots like this one. I don't think a great deal of this particular shot. "City Reality" was much better, but Stamper's getting out there and shooting and he does good work. Bravo!, Stamper.
I agree with Russ.

I also think that the emotional power of grain will be effective only for ancients like us who remember Tri-X and what it could do.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:51:05 am »

That's the joy of being ancient - probably one of the few!

I looked at the Siverefex thinggy after reading Russ's post, saw the instructional videos end-to-end and feel it isn't for me. It's just not my way. I hate jigsaws and this reminds me of them, as well as a programme the kids and I used to watch at lunchtime called Painting by Numbers or similar, presented by a lady artist who was actually quite good, but had sold out (IMO) to tv. I'd rush home from the studio and make some lunchy snack and then return to whatever was going down back at the ranch. We did this for about a year, then Ann realised that no, she hadn't lost her mental abilities through motherhood, and so she retired from outside work and we all breathed a huge, collective sigh of relief and eat like kings once again.

I still have my pristine F3 and perhaps if I make it back to Britain I'll take it up again seriously; but, if I do, I expect it'll be a step towards another 500 Series and the expense of a scanner... the 'ancients' die hard!

To be frank about it, most of the work (other folks' stuff) that I still admire today and probably wish were mine is old stuff; very little digital photography bends my mind. I am not in the least thrilled by digital tricks because I know what they are and can do a few myself, but usually choose not to so do. Some of us older guys believe digital pretty sterile and, to use a word I usually hate people using in conjunction with photography, it's not organic. It just cuts corners and makes silk purses out of the ears of sows. But they are still ears of sows... Somebody I read recently remarked that digital makes bad photographers look good and good photographers look less than they are. But it's relatively cheap, and in an era of three-minute/three-second(?) minds, quite quick.

;-)

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 01:14:38 pm »

If you guys want to discuss Silver Efex Pro and grain could you please start your own thread? This is the Critique forum. :(

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 03:17:38 pm »

Great shot !
A woman without money, studying the market of people with either no money and the derogative grafitti: "I'm the fool" ...
All together with rain protection and a grotty atmosphere - wonderful !
No need for grain IMO - I'd consider that Retro in this case.
Cheers
~Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up