Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: perspective crop  (Read 1617 times)

rhahm

perspective crop
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:07:18 pm »

coming from PS cs5 to the CC LR PS $9.99/month subscription I have started to use Lightroom.

does LR have the ability to do a perspective crop?

aduke

Re: perspective crop
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »

it does  ;D. You'll find the controls in the Develop module in the Lens Corrections tab on the right side of the screen. Select Basic there and choose the one of the five choices you like best. If you set the Constrain Crop checkbox, LR will crop out all of the white space left by the correction. You can modify the crop using the Crop tool.

Alan

rhahm

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:27:47 pm »

thanks

maybe coming from CS5 I don't understand LR well enough

in Photoshop I can perform a perspective crop by grabbing any of the corner handles and move them in any direction to correct perspective while doing a regular crop

LR seems to have some sort of automatic correction and does not allow manual manipulation of the crop

jferrari

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 05:41:03 pm »

Very robust controls. Just follow the instructions from aduke.
Nothing changes until something changes.

eliedinur

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »

It does have manual perspective correction controls. The last of the four Lens Correction tabs, called appropriately "Manual", has sliders for setting the correction. It's not as good as the PS method, but it is often better than the automatic corrections.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:37:44 pm by elied »
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 07:09:18 pm »

It's not as good as the PS method

I beg to differ.  The rotate control in PS is almost impossible for me to use except by manually imputing values, while the rotate slider in LR makes it easy to achieve precise adjustments.

eliedinur

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 04:48:41 am »

I have to make a confession, I do not have PSCS and the last time I used the full Photoshop it was PS 5.5 in 2000. Although I recently acquired PSE 12, I still prefer doing much of my "after-LR" in the pixel level editor I have been using for the last 14 years, Picture Window Pro. And PWP has a perspective correction tool (called the "Warp Transformation") that works very much like what the OP described using in PSCS - a crop box on which each corner can be dragged independently in order to align a grid overlay with image lines. I assumed the tools were the same. (PSE's correction tool has a slider interface similar to LR's.) I find that method very fast, while in LR I need to spend many minutes finding the right combination of Vertical, Horizontal and Rotation slider values, because frequently a change in one of them requires a compensating change in the others and I go round and round and round again.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:50:55 am by elied »
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th
Pages: [1]   Go Up