Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Alpha 6000  (Read 20258 times)

Isaac

Re: Sony Alpha 6000
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 12:27:31 pm »

You're right
I'm wrong
All better now?

You don't seem to think so; but neither do you seem willing to discuss whatever other approach to camera development you think would be better for camera buyers.

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 10:09:24 am »

You don't seem to think so; but neither do you seem willing to discuss whatever other approach to camera development you think would be better for camera buyers.

Fuji's approach is better for buyers. They have improved their cameras with firmware without having to buy the next greatest model. Granted, the cameras did have a beta feel to them but Fuji didn't have to update the firmware as much as they have. Even the XP1 got focus peeking, WYSIWYG live view, among other improvements. Most, if not all camera makers, would rather have you buy a new camera to get those improvements.

Isaac

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 11:32:03 am »

Fuji's approach is better for buyers. They have improved their cameras with firmware without having to buy the next greatest model.

Perhaps. Do you think that the price of those Fuji cameras has been set to include the cost of QA and development of updated firmware for older models?

Most, if not all camera makers, would rather have you buy a new camera to get those improvements.

And I would rather they gave me their latest experimental camera for free, but neither they nor I expect those things to happen ;-)

In 2013 essentially the same chunk of additional functionality was provided for SLTA37, SLTA57 and SLTA99 in firmware updates; and more extensive firmware updates/bug fixes were provided for SLTA65 and SLTA77.

I don't know if that reflects a policy of only providing firmware updates for current camera models; or whether SLTA33, SLTA35, and SLTA55 were produced before Sony managed to modularize and standardize the SLT camera models.

Ed B

• Light Conspiracy
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 02:52:30 pm »

Perhaps. Do you think that the price of those Fuji cameras has been set to include the cost of QA and development of updated firmware for older models?

Possibly, I have no idea. Could it be Fuji just wants to keep their customers happy by giving updates which in turn will drive you to purchase more of their lenses? Is it just old fashion customer service?

And I would rather they gave me their latest experimental camera for free, but neither they nor I expect those things to happen ;-)
Ha! Wouldn't we all. :D

In 2013 essentially the same chunk of additional functionality was provided for SLTA37, SLTA57 and SLTA99 in firmware updates; and more extensive firmware updates/bug fixes were provided for SLTA65 and SLTA77.

I don't know if that reflects a policy of only providing firmware updates for current camera models; or whether SLTA33, SLTA35, and SLTA55 were produced before Sony managed to modularize and standardize the SLT camera models.

Has the Nex had those kinds of updates? I ask because I really don't know, I'm not even sure if they needed updating.

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 03:15:47 pm »

Could it be Fuji just wants to keep their customers happy…

Or the more recent notion that it's a competitive advantage to delight customers. Sure.

Has the Nex had those kinds of updates? I ask because I really don't know, I'm not even sure if they needed updating.

To find that kind-of information I look around on the product support section of the Sony website. Work through the menus -- "Cameras - Alpha DSLR & NEX / NEX" and select the exact camera model, then "Drivers & Software" and the OS.

File Description UPDATE NEX-7 Camera Firmware Update Release Date 8/27/2013 Version 1.03
Download This utility updates the NEX-7 camera firmware to version 1.03 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version 1.02:

Adds the AF drive system for movies

Note: The AF drive system for movies is added in order to enhance the scalability of future E-mount systems.

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 1.03:

Provides support for the SELP1650 automatic compensation compliant lens
    Enables the SELP1650 lens to retract immediately after turning off the camera
    Adds the capability to enable or disable the MOVIE button
    Adds bracket shooting exposure settings (three frames / 1.0EV, 2.0EV, 3.0EV)
    Improves response for showing auto review images
    Improves image quality when using a wide angle lens
    Improves indication for using the "Flexible Spot" setting

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up