Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Alpha 6000  (Read 20257 times)

MatthewCromer

Sony Alpha 6000
« on: February 20, 2014, 09:34:19 pm »

Can there really be zero interest in the Alpha 6000 on this forum?  11FPS. (Claimed) class-leading continuous AF performance. 11FPS. Improved 24MP Sony APS sensor. Is it just too inexpensive for anyone here to take any interest?

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Sony Alpha 6000
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:23 pm »

I would but i have a Nex 6 and I consider this new camera not much enough to upgrade. I love my Nex and i would buy the 6000 if the former would go. The Canon G1X MkII really disappointed as it lost one powerful and unique feature: The fully articulated screen.   Eduardo

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:30:41 am »

I am interested in this camera, but it is too early to tell whether I would purchase it.

It would be a potential replacement to my Nikon V2, but what is unclear is whether:
- The AF would be as good (and it is really outstanding on the V2),
- The lenses would have a rendering as pleasing as the one of the remarkable 32mm f1.2 (very very nice lens).

Cheers,
Bernard

allegretto

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »

The only Sony I own is an RX-1. My wife uses and RX-100 II  They are great cameras

I think for me anyway, a new Sony model is somewhat of a yawn. There are soooo many models already it's difficult to keep them straight as to features and the Sony lens situation is near a joke at present. Again, only one man's opinion, but I don't like the idea of adapters for several reasons. The company seems to be catering to the GAS crowd with tiny distinctions over models and confusing nomenclature with a new model every couple of months. True planned obsolescence.

I'm sure it's a very nice camera, but there are many very nice cameras out there.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 01:26:28 pm »

- The AF would be as good
see the fine print = "1. Amongst interchangeable-lens digital cameras equipped with an APS-C image sensor as of February 12, 2014. Determined with internal measurement method with E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens mounted, Pre-AF off and viewfinder in use."

Nikon 1 and m43 excluded for obvious reasons  ;)

MatthewCromer

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:39:16 pm »

Hmmn, I think more that they were omitting the Canon 1Dx and Nikon D4 by saying APS. Notice they did not say "mirrorless only".

Vladimirovich

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:59:48 pm »

Hmmn, I think more that they were omitting the Canon 1Dx and Nikon D4 by saying APS. Notice they did not say "mirrorless only".
well, m43 focuses in most of the frame @ EV-4 w/o AF illumination... neither 1Dx nor D4 can dream about that.

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:49:34 pm »

well, m43 focuses in most of the frame @ EV-4 w/o AF illumination... neither 1Dx nor D4 can dream about that.

which of course is why, when the money is on the line for Getty or AP, when getting the shot trumps everything you see them going with…uhhhh… Olympus!

ahhh, the virtual spec-sheet wars…. ya gotta love it!

Vladimirovich

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »

which of course is why, when the money is on the line for Getty or AP
the last bastion, they 'll fall.

allegretto

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 05:28:07 pm »

the last bastion, they 'll fall.

Have you used a D4 or 1Dx?

Used a D4 for about a year before I concluded that I could not lug it around. My daughter uses a Olympus OM-D 5 and so have used it on occasion. Most reviews of the OM-D1 say the IQ is a "bit better" than the 5. But never used an OM-D 1 so don't know for sure. I prefer available light, any available light to flash so do a fair amount of low EV shooting.

Have shot the D4 at night (admittedly without a meter to tell me what exact EV) and it locks on and produces images in that low light that cannot be done with 4/3's without unacceptable image degradation. PP can only go so far. The D4 and likely the 1Dx are without peer for producing images, in focus under low light. That is why the Big Money uses them. So perhaps the OM-D 5 can focus at lower light levels, though would have to see it to believe it. Spec sheets can be notoriously misleading and are often written with the Marketing Depts. approval. But in any case, would like to see an image at EV -4 from all three cameras before your hypothesis is acceptable. No tripods, no BS.

It's one thing to focus, another to actually make an image. What I have seen from 4/3 at high ISO leads me to go with Getty before I accept the spec sheet.

From the ultimate spec sheet (BS and all) dpreview;

OM-D1

Not so good for: Sports and fast action demanding very fast burst rates, very low light, and users with little interest in customizing camera functions.

Go to their website and compare high ISO RAWs to those from a D4… no contest...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:36:09 pm by allegretto »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:29 pm »

I think for me anyway, a new Sony model is somewhat of a yawn. There are soooo many models already it's difficult to keep them straight as to features....
Agreed - but I have to remind myself that this is a problem with Sony's marketing and not with its cameras. On examination, the new cameras generally turn out to be pretty good, and Sony's willingness to innovate surely deserves some gratitude. Best I think to yawn, but then take a close look at the camera.
Ken Cameron

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 07:02:02 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llmciAKNq9c

great review by the kind people of the CameraStore and answers a lot of questions, blog post is interesting as well:

http://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/sony-a6000-hands-on-field-test-.aspx

Ken W

• ioScapes
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 12:59:38 pm »

I am interested. Waiting for standard test photos by DPreview or Imaging Resources, so I can compare to what I currently use.

peterottaway

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 07:43:29 pm »

I'm not in the APS market anymore. And having bought an RX 10 and a A7r with 24-70mm zoom over the last 4 months, it is time for me and the bank balance to have a quiet nap until at least the January sales.

Isaac

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »

There are soooo many models already it's difficult to keep them straight as to features and the Sony lens situation is near a joke at present. … The company seems to be catering to the GAS crowd with tiny distinctions over models and confusing nomenclature with a new model every couple of months. True planned obsolescence.

Sure, it's planned obsolescence in the sense of "ever-improving" products.

I don't think it's about "catering to the GAS crowd"; it's about providing cameras that have the most appeal to people who want to buy this week, in 3-6 months there'll probably be "better" cameras.

Isaac

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 01:56:29 pm »

11FPS. (Claimed) class-leading continuous AF performance. 11FPS. Improved 24MP Sony APS sensor. Is it just too inexpensive for anyone here to take any interest?

I like inexpensive! If you're giving them away I'll take a couple :-)

But I hope the a3000 doesn't signal the replacement of entry-level A-mount cameras by entry-level E-mount cameras, even if there continue to be more expensive new A-mount models. I kind-of think it might.

dds

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 02:35:18 pm »

I'm quite likely to buy the a6000. I'm just waiting to get a look through that new viewfinder (there are mixed advanced reviews of it), and of course waiting to see if there are any unforeseen glitches.

I like the NEX-7 quite a bit. I would use it even more if it had just slightly cleaner medium-ISO image quality. Its files are kind of gritty, but excellent for smaller print sizes. At ISO 100, I find the files to be quite good for fairly large prints. But above ISO 200, quality starts going downhill fast as print size rises. I'm looking forward to seeing what Sony's latest sensor can do about that.

The range and quality of lenses available for apsc e-mount are now more than acceptable: zeiss, sigma, some of the sony lenses, samyang autofocus on the way. I like the trade-offs apsc gives me for depth of field and/or hand-holdable shutter speed.

For hand-held use, I think the a6000 could be a winner. Very quick and responsive, with an EFC low-vibration shutter, small and lightweight. From some of the early files I've seen, it looks like the a6000 might be very close to the A7 in image quality at low and medium ISOs. For $650, I might get a couple.

--David

allegretto

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 09:51:23 pm »

Sure, it's planned obsolescence in the sense of "ever-improving" products.

I don't think it's about "catering to the GAS crowd"; it's about providing cameras that have the most appeal to people who want to buy this week, in 3-6 months there'll probably be "better" cameras.

Let's be honest. Companies like Sony keep features "in their pocket" for future models in more than a few cases. Many of these "features" don't help one take a better picture except in very rare circumstances and are "I want it" features.

But mainly they are kept out for the purpose of a "better" model. That's the very definition of "Planned Obsolescence"

Isaac

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 03:23:28 am »

Companies like Sony keep features "in their pocket" for future models…

Companies like Sony seem to have 2-4 years of cameras in development.

You seem to think they should wait 2-4 years and only release the most advanced of the cameras (that they're working on now) once they complete that camera? Or is it that you think Sony should only release cameras at one price-point (no entry-level or mid-level cameras)?

Who would that benefit?

Many of these "features" don't help one take a better picture except in very rare circumstances and are "I want it" features.

Actually people say "focus peaking" helps them take a better picture, and that was one of the features added to the SLT-A37 which obsoleted the SLT-A35 within ~5 months.

Actually being able to choose larger steps for an exposure bracket (SLT-A37) would help me take better pictures -- I wouldn't have to touch and potentially shift the camera to take the range of exposures for raw exposure blends.

I bought a particular camera for what it provided at the time; and don't begrudge people who bought better cameras simply because better cameras were offered 5 months later, and don't begrudge Sony for not having focus peaking in the entry-level camera 5 months sooner.

allegretto

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 11:29:28 am »

Companies like Sony seem to have 2-4 years of cameras in development.

You seem to think they should wait 2-4 years and only release the most advanced of the cameras (that they're working on now) once they complete that camera? Or is it that you think Sony should only release cameras at one price-point (no entry-level or mid-level cameras)?

Who would that benefit?

Actually people say "focus peaking" helps them take a better picture, and that was one of the features added to the SLT-A37 which obsoleted the SLT-A35 within ~5 months.

Actually being able to choose larger steps for an exposure bracket (SLT-A37) would help me take better pictures -- I wouldn't have to touch and potentially shift the camera to take the range of exposures for raw exposure blends.

I bought a particular camera for what it provided at the time; and don't begrudge people who bought better cameras simply because better cameras were offered 5 months later, and don't begrudge Sony for not having focus peaking in the entry-level camera 5 months sooner.

OK.

You're right

I'm wrong

All better now?

Enjoy what you have. This whole thing about arguing over minute features and benefits gets boring. Most of this extra junk leads to more menus and more screwing around before the camera is in the proper mode for this shoot. And then if you wnat to switch on the fly... more buttons and arrows.

Have fun... simpler is better far more often than complex anyway.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up