Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: linear gamma profile slide for scanner?  (Read 12949 times)

smilem

• Color Management Services
linear gamma profile slide for scanner?
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:29:32 pm »

Hello, I would like to ask for workflow to create linear gamma profile for slide scanner. The current workflow seems to be:

1. scan to linear gamma tif file
2. process with colorperfect plugin to convert to gamma 2.2
3. save the files

----

Creating profiles with coca (DOHM - CoCa, Color Camera Calibrator)
http://www.muscallidus.com/coca/

But the problem is that resultant profile distorts gamma, it tires to lighten things up as there is no way to specify linear gamma. The scans obviously are very dark at linear gamma.

So the question is there any software to create linear gamma ICC profile for a scanner? Target is obviously the 35mm silverfast IT8 slide.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: linear gamma profile slide for scanner?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:37:36 pm »

I got a Velvia 50 target made by Wolf Faust which I used to create an input profile with Vuescan.
I use this profile with Silverfast as well.
You don't need a special target to use linear gamma.
I also use color perfect, which I think gives the best color after scanning.
Cheers
~Chris

smilem

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:53:24 pm »

I got a Velvia 50 target made by Wolf Faust which I used to create an input profile with Vuescan.
I use this profile with Silverfast as well.
You don't need a special target to use linear gamma.
I also use color perfect, which I think gives the best color after scanning.
Cheers
~Chris

So how do you create the profile and how do you use it?

As I said I created scans with vuescan, then created profile with Coca, then applied it (assign) to a scan in Photoshop.
Result horrible gamma balance that can't be even corrected with colorperfect.

I would assume if I would create profile from gamma 2.2 image converted with colorperfect, then everything would work. But since some slides are dark, some are not I need to adjust gamma in colorperfect, and ICC profiling doesn't work if you change the parameters.

AFAIK the IT8 target is gamma 2.2, and can't be used with linear gamma. The grayscale patches are included for a reason, and if they are very dark the profiling software will make sure they are corrected.

Is there software to create profile and select gamma as "linear gamma"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:55:06 pm by smilem »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:20:41 am »

A target does not have a gamma.
A target has colors with a reflective or transmissive spectrum.

Gamma is something applied to numbers being translated into real colors on screen.

When you scan the target the result is automagically in linear space, Gamma = 1.0, but
if the software  like Silverfast or Vuescan applies a gamma transformation to that raw data, the data is changed.
If you tell the Software to use a Gamma = 1.0 nothing changes and you get the linear scan.

The profile creation process is independent from that.
The input profile simply explains to any software which number in the file refers to which real world color in the scanned target.
Of course a profile can be tweaked to change that relationship and reflect the application of a Gamma internally,
but that's not the purpose of a profile in general - you profile to get accurate color.

I used Vuescan to create my input profile - it was easy and straightforward -after that I told Silverfast to use that profile.

I remember trying to create a profile with Argyll / Cocao long ago and failed,
my impression was that using Argyll / Coca requires more skill and knowledge -
you simply can make errors more easily.

I hope that helped a little.

Cheers
~Chris

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 02:00:42 am »

Hi Christophe,

I'd be interested to know why you use Vuescan to create a profile with the SilverFast target. Is this simply because you are using Vuescan for your work and just acquired a SilverFast target for purposes of profiling, or do you find the Vuescan profiling produces better results than SilverFast's Auto-IT8, whether you re scanning in either application? What scanner(s) are you using and is ti for Kodachrome or other positive film materials?

Cheers,

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:01:14 am »

Hi Christophe,

I'd be interested to know why you use Vuescan to create a profile with the SilverFast target. Is this simply because you are using Vuescan for your work and just acquired a SilverFast target for purposes of profiling, or do you find the Vuescan profiling produces better results than SilverFast's Auto-IT8, whether you re scanning in either application? What scanner(s) are you using and is ti for Kodachrome or other positive film materials?

Cheers,

Mark

I use a Wolf Faust Velvia target, which has a setup of color patches not being recognized by Silverfast.
Its better and covers a greater gamut than the SF target.
The resulting colorspace is larger and nearer to what my scanner can actually record.
Cheers
~Chris

smilem

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:05:54 am »

So how do you create the profile and how do you use it?

As I said I created scans with vuescan, then created profile with Coca, then applied it (assign) to a scan in Photoshop.
Result horrible gamma balance that can't be even corrected with colorperfect.

I would assume if I would create profile from gamma 2.2 image converted with colorperfect, then everything would work. But since some slides are dark, some are not I need to adjust gamma in colorperfect, and ICC profiling doesn't work if you change the parameters.

AFAIK the IT8 target is gamma 2.2, and can't be used with linear gamma. The grayscale patches are included for a reason, and if they are very dark the profiling software will make sure they are corrected.

Is there software to create profile and select gamma as "linear gamma"

I already scan into RAW TIF file with recommended settings
http://www.colorneg.com/scanning-slides-and-negatives/scans/Hamrick-Software/VueScan/

After I have a file how do I make ICC profile the correct way? I tried even i1Profiler it does not work, I mean I don't need profile to correct gamma. And since gamma and colors can't be adjusted separately in RGB colorspace I really begin to think that I should apply the profile after colorperfect, then run colorperfect again to make further adjustements.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:08:26 am by smilem »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 03:19:11 am »

I use a Wolf Faust Velvia target, which has a setup of color patches not being recognized by Silverfast.

Hi Chris,

VueScan scans the target and you can either output a linear gamma file (Output Color Space = Device RGB) which is the typical approach, or (if required) a gamma adjusted output file (e.g. Beta RGB or ProPhotoRGB if you have that installed), whatever one's profile creation software requires. Depending on the scanner, one may be able and optimize the R/G/B channel exposures, which settings would then need to be used for future scans with that profile.

Of course, one can also create a scanner profile from within VueScan, by using the reference data that accompanies the target.

There is no need for a linear gamma target, VueScan scans in Linear gamma space (Device RGB).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

smilem

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 03:35:15 am »

i1Profiler 1.5 error:

So the target has a gamma after all.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 03:48:09 am »

i1Profiler 1.5 error:

So the target has a gamma after all.

Hi,

Did you use the "Device RGB" colorspace (= linear gamma)?

Cheers,
Bart

smilem

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 06:04:46 am »

Yes, I think it's now called "Built-in"

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:56 am »

Yes, I think it's now called "Built-in"

Hi,

No it's another parameter that sets the output gamma (amongst others), see attachment.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. the "Built in" indicates where you enter the final profile to use for actual scans.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:28:11 am by BartvanderWolf »

smilem

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 03:15:17 pm »

This was set to AdobeRGB, as this is my workspace. I wrote email to the makers of colorperfect, and did I get a long puzzling reply.

smilem

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »

Hello, I tried you plugin with vuescan and opticfilm120.

Good,

I have silverfast 35mm IT8 target.

Oh my.... The profiling question. First off, in the past 90% of the people asking this never write again after my response. They either don't understand my answer or don't like it. So the short answer is what is referred to as "profiling" was nonsense all along. It cannot work. It defies physics and is only there because engineers didn't know what else to do. For starters I'll forward a message below I wrote to someone a while ago.

I followed the linear scan tutorial here: http://www.colorneg.com/scanning-slides-and-negatives/scans/Hamrick-Software/VueScan/

Good, there is no IT8 nonsense in that workflow.

However how do I create the ICC profile from the image scanned this way???

You don't.

But the problem is that resultant profile distorts gamma, it tires to lighten things up as there is no way to specify linear gamma. The scans obviously are very dark at linear gamma.

The "profiles" created that way will always distort various things in uncontrollable ways. Let me pass on a message I wrote a while back...

This is the exerpt from the message I intended to forward. It deals with the notion of "assigning a scanner profile" to a negative.
The person I wrote it for decided to ignore it and to advocate his troubled workflow anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In summary, what you recommend doing is more often than not diametrically opposed to what we recommend on our web pages and the help system. Both the idea of being able to eliminate the scanner as a factor from your imaging results and your implementation of that using scanner profiles are seriously flawed.
Color accuracy is mathematically limited in any three-primary imaging system but beyond that limit what you need is not so much color accuracy as consistency of the color flow in an image with the laws of physics that the eye has been developed by nature to expect.  When treated correctly, color film images in the analog world naturally follow these physical laws and so produce pleasing results when printed right.  The current treatment of digital images departs from these physical laws and so produces images that don't always look bad, exactly, they just don't look quite right - sometimes by a long shot.

[...]

So for now let me just give you one example of something that actually happens in what you do. You create a scanner profile using an IT8-Target (a core item of the physically nonsensical technologies we are trying to overcome). Key component in scanner profiles are color lookup tables. They’re typically 32x32x32 values in size. That means that 32.768 individual RGB color combinations can technically be assigned from any input to any output. Completely ignoring all physical relations between such values. IT8-derived profiles just warp colors around more or less intensely and in a way light never could.

What a scanner does is capture three individual intensity signals. Each represents a weighted average from the spectrum of visible light. A collection of red, yellow, orange and rose colors might have an identical red component captured by the scanner. The same might apply for a collection of blue, green, brown and turquoise  colors. I quickly illustrated that for you by simulating two such groups of colors - they really could exist this way:
[]
Looking at the red channel note that there are only two different levels of red intensity:
[]
What an IT-8 derived profile might do nonetheless is things like making the yellow brighter which would require its red component to be increased and red darker which would require the opposite of the same red intensity reading. Rose, and orange would be adjusted differently again.
Can you see that such is physically impossible in terms of light? The only thing you can do with CC filters on an enlarger for example are linear transforms. That means all pixels in the entire image must change equally or not at all. Filter dialed in or out. The kind of force matching technology used in digital "profiling" will make a given target come out precisely as the intended target alright because all target values are known but for any other picture it’s pretty much moot. But it is neat that the succes of such systems is measured based on the ability to render defined targets...

But wait you’ll think: This is crazy, my workflow does work… Please consider this example carefully:

For negatives you create a linear scan. That scan is basically RAW. You assign a scanner profile to that scan and it does what I outlined above (warp intensities that should stay identical physically in opposite directions etc.). That happens for the yellow, orange, red, rose group of colors I envisioned and the same for many other such groups.

Now the essential bit of information here is WHEN does that transform get applied to the data and HOW. It gets applied by Photoshop before the data is displayed. ColorPerfect is completely ignorant of that. It uses the linear RAW scan and does its work. Photoshop will display the preview after each step and warp it according to the original scanner profile. The image changes, the profile stays the same. Funnily in the end what was orange in the negative now no longer is because the orange mask got canceled out. The image was inverted so what was green is now magenta and vice versa what was red is now cyan and vice versa what was blue is yellow and vice versa, brightnesses have changed all over the image and that in the most severe way imaginable and yet after all of it Photoshop still applies the same IT8-Based scanner profile which says red should warp this way for this scanner, yellow should warp that way etc. There is NO correlation to the scanner in that transform whatsoever at this point. It’s a completely arbitrary color shift.

ColorPerfect works with the assigned scanner profile because it gets the unaffected linear data. If you were to “correct” the scan for any effects of the scanner you’d have to convert to your working profile before applying ColorPerfect – that will wreck everything though because it destroys the physical relations ColorPerfect is built on and so ColorPerfect will fail after attempting such.

Lookup tables are completely unsuitable for input devices. Once color integrity has been produced and the final image looks the way we want it to look profiling can be quite valuable. That is for output devices such as screens, printers etc. It no longer is as important to adhere to the physics of light in that phase. In it we just want to keep our result to look as close to what we created as possible. Any means that do work in that are fine. The changes involved will be subtle anyway - while the changes during capture and processing can be tremendous.

This is really just the beginning, you seem to use none of the tools we offer that are superior over even such seemingly simple things as the shadow and middle gray sliders in Photoshop but I’ll leave that for later. For us to continue on this road you must be prepared to throw over most of your workflow. If you are I can assure you that over time I can probably give you what you need to truly understand your imaging process. If you aren’t this is all tilting at windmills.

Best regards
Christoph Oldendorf

smilem

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 03:22:10 pm »

So if the makers of colorperfect say that

""profiling" was nonsense all along. It cannot work. It defies physics and is only there because engineers didn't know what else to do. "

Why bother then?

Vuescan has a bit more easy steps to make ICC profile, but I wanted to use i1Profiler for this task, as I thought it would work better.

Perhaps somebody knows how to make this work?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 04:04:13 pm »

I have thoroughly studied the colorneg writeups and the mathematics behind it. It makes sense, but:

Profiling is a must.

Without input profiling you simply have no clue what color a number in your scan actually means.
You must really understand that.

If you have a color (in 8 bit RGB) like: 255-0-0 and you have no profile you can not know how that saturated red looked in reality:
Was it the red of a tomato? of a cherry? of blood?
Without an input profile you will never know.

Telling profiling is nonsense is nonsense in itself.

What these people say is:
You cannot perform certain editing operations on a file in non-linear gamma without destroying the color relations, that is what they call "color integrity".
This is actually true.
Therefore it makes sense to use their plugin to get a decent file to start with and do basic adjustments there, like contrast, exposure, blackpoint, whitepoint, color balance and such.

But you will always need an input profile (scanner profile) and an output profile (monitor profile or printer profile) or you will never get halfway correct color.

Color is not a number !

Color is an impression in the brain which has been measured and quantified decades ago by creating the so called "standard observer"
in a complicated psychophysical comparison excercise with a bunch of people who judged colors in these experiments.

Profiles connect numbers to real world colors, without profiles the numbers in your file are meaningless.

Cheers
~Chris

smilem

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 11:28:31 pm »

Profiling is a must.

Without input profiling you simply have no clue what color a number in your scan actually means.
You must really understand that.

I agree with you, but colorperfect sayd that:

Well, I have hoped for a shorter answer !

>I can provide that: Everything that uses "profiling" to build look up table based profiles is nonsense for RGB input devices. I >cannot ever work, avoid it.
>Getting you to a point where you can comprehend why takes long answers though.

What do you mean by "This is really just the beginning, you seem to use none of the tools we offer that are superior over even such seemingly simple things as the shadow and middle gray sliders in Photoshop but I'll leave that for later."

>That wasn't directed at you. It came from the message I qouted. (I said "For starters I'll forward a message below I wrote >to someone a while ago.")
>I can explain what it was about if you care for the shadow and middle gray sliders in Photoshop's Levels...

The ICC is correcting the colors on the fly, that is the advantage of using profiles right.

>Profiles cannot be used right on RGB input devices, period. Sorry.

If I would correct everything by hand I don't need ICC profiles to begin with :/

>It's not about correcting everything by hand. It is rather about using a set of adjustments - some automatic - others >artistic that do follow a solid set of physical rules.
>That's ColorPerfect in a nut shell.

I still hope that a still hope you can give me a recipe for profile creation for my scanner

>Scanner profile creation is pointless. Especially so for color negatives. The shortest explaination possible: Scanning film >does not compare to taking pictures of real world scenes at all. Real world scenes consist of millions of different spectral >responses. Film consists of three or maybe four dyes (each of varying densities) which simplifies matters and all but >eliminates the scanner as a factor if you know how to approach the linear data and we do.

Telling profiling is nonsense is nonsense in itself.

Well read above, they just did that. And they certainly smarter than me.

What these people say is:
You cannot perform certain editing operations on a file in non-linear gamma without destroying the color relations, that is what they call "color integrity".
This is actually true.
Therefore it makes sense to use their plugin to get a decent file to start with and do basic adjustments there, like contrast, exposure, blackpoint, whitepoint, color balance and such.

So I need to create profile from image converted from linear gamma using colorpefect with default settings, and then assign that image every time after converting my slides from linear gamma to gamma 2.2 right?

But since the blown out light areas, and too dark shadows can be corrected in linear gamma I think this workflow is not correct. Since I can't use colorperfect default settings for not properly exposed slides. And as we know if you change the workflow the profile will not work, changing any settings other than those when profile was created will not lead to accurate color.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 02:21:20 am »

The workflow is like this:

A.) profiling
1.) Scan a target with software set to linear gamma (=1.0). Do NOT convert this file in any way, like converting to a working colorspace or stuff. Just RAW data.
2.) Create an ICC input profile using that file and the according data delivered with your target.

B.) Application
3.) Scan your image and chose linear gamma in the scanning software as well as the created profile as input profile. This should all be done by the scanning software.
4.) This file then goes through the ColorPerfect plugin.
5.) Further adjustments in Photoshop/LR7/Whatever

This works well for me. If you want to completely follow their way of doing it you need to follow a grayscale calibration procedure described on the website below.

Link: http://www.c-f-systems.com
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:53:39 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

smilem

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 02:53:54 am »

A.) profiling
1.) Scan a target with software set to linear gamma (=1.0). Do NOT convert this file in any way, like converting to a working colorspace or stuff. Just RAW data.
2.) Create an ICC input profile using that file and the according data delivered with your target.

What about the i1Profiler 1.5 error I posted above, the program does not want to make ICC profile?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 02:55:34 am »

What about the i1Profiler 1.5 error I posted above, the program does not want to make ICC profile?

I don't use i1profiler and therefore can't comment on that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up