Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to dual export simultaneously in LR?? Possible?  (Read 5202 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: How to dual export simultaneously in LR?? Possible?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 06:52:16 am »

Though you may be right, I suggest you take a closer look at what is happening, Klaus. I'm not at all surprised that it downloads comments because the publish process is hard wired to do so (the plug-in author would have to deliberately add code to intercept the request for comments). But it does sound odd that files weren't exported, as a minimum, and then uploaded from multiple collections. An export, usually to a temporary folder, should always happen as a result of pressing a Publish button, and LR then allows the plug-in author to define what happens to the exported files, in this case uploading them. A plug-in could conceivably block uploading if more than one collection is selected, but the plug-in author would have had to implement this deliberately with some unusual code, which would be surprising in two plug-ins.

Klaus??  I was reporting what happened when I tested this after you wrote about the option click publish behavior. Yes, it is no surprise that the comments are downloaded as they always get when doing a publish, but no upload happened neither of new images or modified images. I also tried with the Jf Collection Publisher that I use for synchronizing with my iPad and also this one does not upload images using the option click publish.

If there is a group of folders, selecting the group and click (not option click) publish will upload images in all folders within the group. E.g. http://www.hanskrusephotography.com/Landscapes if I marked pictures in different subfolders to be republished then selecting the Landscapes group and publish uploaded all images in subfolders. In fact I had never tried this before and only thought about it because of this discussion.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 06:55:09 am »

Older versions of Lightroom did export in a single thread, and starting multiple exports was faster.

Somewhere around the 5.0 release, export became multithreaded, and my i7 seems to have all cores active during a single export.

I did not use a timer to confirm, but this suggests that calling multiple exports is no longer necessary.
Best way to confirm that is to compare core usage in Task Manager/Activity Monitor during a single export and also a multiple export, but make sure nothing else is running though. And also time it. Multiple exports were much faster. Not at home at present so can't test myself.
I can't see any evidence that LR5 has changed as people are still asking about multithreading. LR may deliberately not use it as it leaves the remaining cores free to carry on working on other tasks in LR whilst export is ongoing.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 07:25:10 am »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 08:42:04 am »

Ok :)

I did try selecting multiple folders on both the Smugmug and Zenfolio and just using publish (not option publish) and then all pictures that need uploading gets uploaded in the selected folders. That saves on occasion some mouse clicks given the way I organize my folders.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 09:46:21 am »

Hans, I've just noticed that I was misleading you. You can select multiple collections in the same service, and publish them simultaneously - but you simply click the Publish button at the bottom of the left hand panel (not the one near the top of the grid). There's No need for the Alt/Option modifier.

You use Alt/Option in a single collection and when you don't want to immediately publish all photos shown as being ready to publish.

John

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 11:20:23 am »

Hi John,

Isn't this what I just wrote some time ago? :)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 12:21:22 pm »

Isn't it?! :-[
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up