Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to dual export simultaneously in LR?? Possible?  (Read 5199 times)

RickyNZ

How to dual export simultaneously in LR?? Possible?
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:43:49 pm »

I'm old school, and export for clients twice from LR each time I complete a job. I export at full camera res at 300ppi, then again at 2048px for web at smaller ppi for a smaller file for them to handle. I do this by exporting their files twice. Old habits die hard, but there MUST be a way to export to two sizes, two file names, etc, simultaneously, but I can't seem to find this function. I can create an export preset, but is there a way to specify two export properties/actions in one click?  Or is this the realm of other software like photomechanic?  Thanks in advance

RickyNZ

Re: How to dual export simultaneously in LR?? Possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »

I'm looking at this right now:http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evangelists-julieanne-kost/lightroom-5-exporting-images/

RickyNZ

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 03:33:57 pm »

scripting?  Hoping for an out of the box solution

RickyNZ

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 03:44:30 pm »

OK - the answer is 'no' if straight LR functionality. However, using the flyout menu, one can create export presets that would make exporting in multiple formats quicker, but still a two step process.  Better than running up the entire dialogue box. Here's hoping LR integrates multiple output locationsl,file type, size options for export in future updates.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:49:33 pm »

Correct, just make two presets and select one, then the other. You shouldn't have to wait for the first to finish before starting the 2nd.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

RickyNZ

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:51:51 pm »

Thank you. You also have a lot of interesting information on your site. That will keep me very busy! ;)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 04:46:59 pm »

I seem to recall that it's actually more efficient to split up a big export into several chunks if you have a multicore machine [which is pretty common these days], so doing two separate exports is probably faster overall.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Glenn NK

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:08:47 pm »

Good question Ricky - I was there was a way in the Export menu.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:37:06 pm »

Correct, just make two presets and select one, then the other. You shouldn't have to wait for the first to finish before starting the 2nd.

Exactly.  You are complaining about two.mouse.clicks.

A non-problem if there ever was one.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 02:23:56 am »

Ricky:  This might be of use to you: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2014/02/getting-images-out-of-lightroom/

Mike.

P.S. And yes, if you have a lot of images to export (say 1000), select 500 and export, then select the other 500 and export.  This makes more efficient use of the system memory, at least according to: http://macperformanceguide.com/Optimizing-Lightroom.html
If your mind is attuned t

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 03:47:31 am »

Hi Ricky,

I use this:  http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/ExportManagerLrPlugin/

You first set up your presets - give them a generic location like desktop or a specific folder into a sub folder _tiff or _jpegweb etc.

Then let it run, go grab a coffee or something or log on to LL and when it's done it'll tell you.  Mine currently exports 7 different file types (for client and my own use).

I find it very worthwhile the small donation for what it does.

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:41:59 am »

Exactly.  You are complaining about two.mouse.clicks.

A non-problem if there ever was one.

Precisely.

And OP can save more mouse clicks/keystrokes by not changing the ppi box in the export dialogue. If he is specifying the dimensions of the two files in pixels, then the ppi box in totally meaningless as far as the resultant files are concerned.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

RickyNZ

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 03:14:10 pm »

Thanks guys. I'll take a look into that. I still think a simple checkbox to export to two, three, or even four locations/options would be useful. Onone software had this function within the batch feature of early versions of their product. Quick way to either make backups, or save websize images in another folder for separation. I'll now take a look at the sites/info listed. Thanks again :D

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 05:05:42 am »

Some people may not mind repeating steps and doing a series of clicks where one would do the job. For others it would be great to run a series of exports with a single click.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 05:45:19 am »

I agree, but the bigger issue for me is that I publish pictures on several websites and also use plugins for synchronizing my iPad and if I update the editing or keywords on one of my pictures I need to go and click publish on each folder where the picture is included. It would be so great to have a single click to say: publish this updated picture in all publish collections where it is included.

Just a little rant  >:(

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 06:40:55 am »

So you're not in the former group that dismisses repetitious tasks as a "non problem".

This is more about series of exports, but for Publish there is one trick that's worth knowing. Within a single publish service, you can select more than one collection and publish them all simultaneously by holding down Alt/Option as you click clicking the Publish button at the bottom of the panel.

Corrected (brain fart)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:48:23 am by john beardsworth »

RickyNZ

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 04:55:14 pm »

Very good information. There is always something new to learn. 

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 05:44:42 pm »

So you're not in the former group that dismisses repetitious tasks as a "non problem".

This is more about series of exports, but for Publish there is one trick that's worth knowing. Within a single publish service, you can select more than one collection and publish them all simultaneously by holding down Alt/Option as you click the Publish button at the bottom of the panel.

I find the few cases where I need to export e.g. both a scaled down version and a full rez version of a picture ok and I always have a template for this.

For publish I had not noticed the option variant. However I just tried it with my Smugmug account and the only thing it did when I had selected all folders and used the option publish was to download all comments. None of the outstanding uploads were done. So I assume that each plugin need to implement this option and clearly the Smugmug plugin does not do it. It also is not that useful since the download of comments from many folders takes quite some time, so it's not really doing what I'd like, but thanks anyway for the hint to a function that I was not aware of. I tried Zenfolio also and also there no uploads took place.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 03:30:34 am »

Though you may be right, I suggest you take a closer look at what is happening, Klaus. I'm not at all surprised that it downloads comments because the publish process is hard wired to do so (the plug-in author would have to deliberately add code to intercept the request for comments). But it does sound odd that files weren't exported, as a minimum, and then uploaded from multiple collections. An export, usually to a temporary folder, should always happen as a result of pressing a Publish button, and LR then allows the plug-in author to define what happens to the exported files, in this case uploading them. A plug-in could conceivably block uploading if more than one collection is selected, but the plug-in author would have had to implement this deliberately with some unusual code, which would be surprising in two plug-ins.

hjulenissen

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 06:14:01 am »

I seem to recall that it's actually more efficient to split up a big export into several chunks if you have a multicore machine [which is pretty common these days], so doing two separate exports is probably faster overall.

Older versions of Lightroom did export in a single thread, and starting multiple exports was faster.

Somewhere around the 5.0 release, export became multithreaded, and my i7 seems to have all cores active during a single export.

I did not use a timer to confirm, but this suggests that calling multiple exports is no longer necessary.

-h
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up