Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to ship a large-format printer halfway around the world  (Read 9537 times)

shadowblade

How to ship a large-format printer halfway around the world
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:02:08 am »

Given that an Epson 9900 costs $14k in Australia and only around $5k in the US, and that second-hand is a good option given that Epson service in Australia (especially on printers running custom inksets) is poor to non-existent anyway, I'm looking at buying in the US and having it shipped to Australia.

I'm getting the seller to install a cleaning cartridge set and run a fill operation to fill the lines/head with cleaning fluid, so clogging in transit shouldn't be a problem.

The more difficult issue is how to get it to Melbourne, Australia, at the lowest possible price. DHL air freight (over $10k) and UPS air freight ($2k) are obviously out. But other sellers (and not just large-scale sellers) on eBay and Amazon are able to ship the same printer, or other equally-large printers, for only a few hundred dollars. I'm not familiar with US shipping companies - does anyone have any idea where I could get the best deal for door-to-door delivery for such a large package?

I'm in no hurry and the printer will be filled with cleaning fluid, so surface transport by ship is an option.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: How to ship a large-format printer halfway around the world
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:55:26 am »

Does it have to be a 9900?
The 9890 is now $3195 in the states and you get a brand new virgin printer. No fooling around with cleaning fluids.
You also get about $400 worth of ink in the startup carts that you could sell to someone else if you are not planning to use this printer with K3 inks
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:57:53 am by Dan Berg »

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:00:32 pm »

Does it have to be a 9900?
The 9890 is now $3195 in the states and you get a virgin printer. No fooling around with cleaning fluids.
You also get about $400 worth of ink in the startup carts that you could sell to someone else if you are not planning to use this printer with K3 inks

I need the extra two inks the 9900 provides. In any case, most vendors won't sell you a new printer and ship it to Australia - they'd rather you pay the super-inflated, price-gouging local price.

I'd have to run cleaning fluid through a new printer to change the inkset anyway, since all print heads are tested with OEM inks or fluid before they leave the factory.

Either way, the shipping issues are the same.

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:18:55 pm »

By the way, would $3.5k be a fair price for a used 9900 in good condition, with non-clogged printhead?

Don't have much to go on, given ridiculous prices here...

spacegrey

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:49:54 pm »

I was looking at shipping used Canon 44'' model from Florida to Pennsylvania and the absolute lowest I was able to find was $325 via UPS with my day job corporate shipping discount.
I doubt that it'll be possible to find freight to Australia for few hundred dollars.

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:41 pm »

I was looking at shipping used Canon 44'' model from Florida to Pennsylvania and the absolute lowest I was able to find was $325 via UPS with my day job corporate shipping discount.
I doubt that it'll be possible to find freight to Australia for few hundred dollars.

Seems like most sellers on eBay who ship to Australia are giving rates under $1000...

Some Guy

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »

I've been getting stuff out of China recently (eBay) and no shipping fees for some reason.  Pretty quick too.  I think the Chinese gov. must subsidize the Cosco shipping lines.  Even shipping in the USA gets expensive at times.  Out of the USA is pretty much what you find, unless you have a business account with a large amount of goods moved and get a break from UPS or DHL.

Individuals not much luck.  We were going to go on a motorcycle tour of England once and a 25 pound box (helmets and jackets) was $900 and then another $900 to get them back home.  Might as well bought them an airplane seat.  Didn't go either.

SG

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 03:30:07 pm »

Get an independent broker involved at your end.  He'll cost you some money, but he's done it all before and won't make the ignorant types of mistakes brokers at the shipping end might make.

I used to ship expensive equipment US to Australia on a regular basis.  The difference between letting Fedex do it from this end versus letting Bob do it from Brisbane were as night and day.  Bob knew all the ins and outs including the latest fashions in customs enforcement and the current state of port politics.  Having a voice at the receiving port is very important especially with partial container shipments.  Bob knew all the right guys by their first names.  Sorry, he's no longer available.

BrianWJH

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:20:54 pm »

By the way, would $3.5k be a fair price for a used 9900 in good condition, with non-clogged printhead?

Just another thought, buying new would make shipping a lot easier and increase your chances of it arriving in one piece unbroken.

The problem you will have shipping secondhand is that unless the seller has the original packing and is willing to repack the machine (if they can remember how) then the risk of damage in loading and transit increase.

Another issue is making sure all pieces for a secondhand machine are shipped and attached to it.

You may need a 110vac to 240vac adapter, not sure if the U.S. models allow a plug-in voltage range without having a voltage adapter.

I think BillT is correct in that you'll need a shipping agent to navigate the costs and custom barriers.

Brian.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:22:36 pm by BrianWJH »

jferrari

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:24 pm »

I'd have to run cleaning fluid through a new printer to change the inkset anyway, since all print heads are tested with OEM inks or fluid before they leave the factory.

Wait, what? Is this something new?
Nothing changes until something changes.

dgberg

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:21 pm »

No!
50 cents on the dollar is a good price.
60 cents on the dollar is a fair price and the max I would pay.
60% of $4200 =$2520

shadowblade

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:11:09 pm »

No!
50 cents on the dollar is a good price.
60 cents on the dollar is a fair price and the max I would pay.
60% of $4200 =$2520

Where are they selling a new one for $4200? Because there's also a $1000 instant cash back going at the moment...

aaronchan

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:26:59 am »

just find a middle man who is willing to make some money and willing to take care the logistic for you from US to AU.

aaron

shadowblade

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 04:15:07 am »

Wait, what? Is this something new?

Nope - every printer is tested before it leaves the factory.

dgberg

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 04:53:10 am »

Where are they selling a new one for $4200? Because there's also a $1000 instant cash back going at the moment...
Actually it is now lower. Lexjet has it for $3995 (After rebate)others as well.

shadowblade

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:25:05 pm »

Actually it is now lower. Lexjet has it for $3995 (After rebate)others as well.

I've noticed quite a few have it for $3900-$4900 - I was just wondering if a $4200 price meant a $3200 printer with the rebate somewhere!

Which brings up another question. If I buy a new printer, it will not be filled with cleaning fluid. Given that transit time via sea freight is 6-8 weeks, what are the chances I'll end up with a clogged printer when it arrives?

hugowolf

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 01:09:30 pm »

I've noticed quite a few have it for $3900-$4900 - I was just wondering if a $4200 price meant a $3200 printer with the rebate somewhere!

Which brings up another question. If I buy a new printer, it will not be filled with cleaning fluid. Given that transit time via sea freight is 6-8 weeks, what are the chances I'll end up with a clogged printer when it arrives?

It could just as easily be sitting around a warehouse for 6-8 weeks before being sold, and you don't often hear of printers arriving clogged. Maybe the flush after testing, or maybe they don't have to use ink to test.

Have you thought of trying to get one from Japan or China? My 9890 was made in China. And if you are shipping from the US, I would make sure whoever you deal with has west coast warehousing.

Brian A

shadowblade

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »

It could just as easily be sitting around a warehouse for 6-8 weeks before being sold, and you don't often hear of printers arriving clogged. Maybe the flush after testing, or maybe they don't have to use ink to test.

Have you thought of trying to get one from Japan or China? My 9890 was made in China. And if you are shipping from the US, I would make sure whoever you deal with has west coast warehousing.

Brian A

Not sure where I would get one in Japan or China - the huge Hong Kong market for cheap cameras and lenses (DigitalRev, for example) seems to be strangely absent for printers. Do you have any ideas?

hugowolf

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 02:21:03 pm »

Not sure where I would get one in Japan or China - .... Do you have any ideas?

No, it was just a thought. I remember someone on another forum buying one, local to him, from Surabaya, Indonesia. But I am not sure that shipping distances matter that much, most of the costs are probably in handling. It would, however, mean less time at sea.

He couldn't get a Canon, but had a choice of Epson dealers.

Brian A
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:30:36 pm by hugowolf »

shadowblade

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 12:04:36 am »

Thanks for the Indonesia suggestion - I found a proofing edition model for around USD3000 at http://www.graphicpoints.com/.

Clearly, these printers aren't very expensive to produce - Australia is just getting badly ripped off, paying 3-4 times the average global price (even Europe only pays half as much).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up