Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to ship a large-format printer halfway around the world  (Read 9549 times)

hugowolf

Re: How to ship a large-format printer halfway around the world
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 08:17:43 pm »

Thanks for the Indonesia suggestion - I found a proofing edition model for around USD3000 at http://www.graphicpoints.com/.

I hope that works out, it sounds like a much better deal.

Clearly, these printers aren't very expensive to produce - Australia is just getting badly ripped off, paying 3-4 times the average global price (even Europe only pays half as much).

Yes, but, if you every have to look for accomadation in Europe, or even worse, think about buying a house, a large format Epson printer is still a steal, if you have a couple of million to buy a space large enough to move it into.

Brian A

shadowblade

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:34 pm »

I hope that works out, it sounds like a much better deal.

Yes, but, if you every have to look for accomadation in Europe, or even worse, think about buying a house, a large format Epson printer is still a steal, if you have a couple of million to buy a space large enough to move it into.

Brian A

Europe's pretty cheap, really.

Try finding accommodation in Australia, or buying a house in a capital city. There's a reason we all take holidays overseas rather than locally!

enduser

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 08:06:02 am »

Try  the "Shipito" people in the US. (http://www.shipito.com/)   You sign up to join and place a nominal sum($50) in your account.  They then give you a unique US address to get your stuff sent to from the merchant you buy from.

For example, the brand of jeans I buy won't be sold to me by US sellers because I am in Australia.  But they sell to me and happily send to my US "shipito" address. Shipito then send it on to me and they arrange all freight.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 12:09:52 am »

The Epson 990 is $10,945.00 from Kayell and you currently get $1500 cash back. That is with a 1 year warranty. You will have no warranty from overseas I expect.
If you bring the printer in from overseas you will have to pay 10% GST also. As much as we are getting ripped off in Australia it's not as bad as it was.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

shadowblade

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 02:28:35 am »

The Epson 990 is $10,945.00 from Kayell and you currently get $1500 cash back. That is with a 1 year warranty. You will have no warranty from overseas I expect.
If you bring the printer in from overseas you will have to pay 10% GST also. As much as we are getting ripped off in Australia it's not as bad as it was.

No GST, since it's a business expense. And the warranty doesn't mean much when I can buy three printers over there for the same price as buying one here.

Farmer

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 04:40:25 am »

GST is still payable on capital equipment - you don't get to avoid it due to something being "a business expense".  You do get to offset that cost against revenue when calculating taxable income.

It may be cheaper to import a replacement printer, but how long will you have to wait?  How much will it cost you to have it fixed locally?
Phil Brown

shadowblade

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 05:06:32 am »

GST is still payable on capital equipment - you don't get to avoid it due to something being "a business expense".  You do get to offset that cost against revenue when calculating taxable income.

It may be cheaper to import a replacement printer, but how long will you have to wait?  How much will it cost you to have it fixed locally?

3-4 days for a replacement. But I don't print large volumes and it's not my main source of income (more a means for me to deduct photo equipment and photographic trips as tax expenses, as well as make some money on the side). So I'm not worried by wait times. And any repair costs are going to be much less than the 3x premium for buying here.

Farmer

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 05:13:52 am »

So long as you can generate $10k p.a. in revenue, the ATO should let you do that and there's no way you're getting a replacement in 3-4 days.  Airfreighting one isn't going to see it here cheaper than a local machine and no sea freight will make it that quick.  It's also not a 3x cost difference, certainly not by the time you factor in shipping and GST.

Your decision, of course, but be aware that it's not really as simple an equation as you might think.
Phil Brown

shadowblade

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 12:22:07 pm »

The Indonesia one turned out to be a very convincing scam.

Looking at US and Canada sellers now - $4k plus another $1k in shipping is still much cheaper than here.

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 04:58:56 am »

Hi All,

Sorry for hijacking this thread but it's the most similar and recent to my question.

we are moving premises in a few months, but only across the road and up to the 3rd floor.
we have an Epson 9900 and it won't fit in the lift/elevator.

we have hired a moving company to transport everything. But I'm just wondering what prep and instructions I should give them?
tape down the print head and any moving parts, keep it as level as possible when moving? anything else? I can physically walk over with them when moving it to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for any tips.

James

Chris233

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 09:37:51 am »

Hi James,

I would put the foamy shipping mat material (not styrofoam or anything that leaves particles) next to the print head, roll it into a ball. Apply tape on the back platen, over the foam, and onto the door frame to secure it. Can use a (clean!) pillow also. I wouldn't directly tape the print head, but shouldn't be a problem if you prefer.

Just be aware of the encoder strip and not to damage it. And not apply pressure on the print head with the pillow, let is rest securely next to it.

Remove cartridges and maintenance tanks, tape all the doors securely. Remove printer from frame and put is on a few thick blankets in the truck for some suspension.

GooGome works well to remove the tape adhesive. I like to use electrical tape as long as temperature doesn't get too hot in shipping.

disneytoy

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 02:21:48 am »

Maybe consider Piano movers, Pianos are moved in very caution and methodical ways. There are a lot of internal parts that are fragile if thumped or handled roughly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up