Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Domain name registration vs web hosting  (Read 2397 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Domain name registration vs web hosting
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:45:45 am »

I'm pretty ignorant about web hosting, I use pbase.com to store my photos on-line, so I'd appreciate an explanation about whether I would be locked into using for example Go Daddy to MAKE my website if I register my domain name with them.  I'm not ready to create my own website yet, so I just want to reserve the name then create it some time next year most likely.

So for example if I look at GoDaddy's website they list a cost for registering a new name and I can find out from Consumer Ranking the cost, traffic, storage etc from the top companies including GD.  I also see that GD offer a domain transfer, so does this mean that if I register it elsewhere but then decide I want to build my website on GD I can transfer it to them?  Is this the case with any web company? (ie if I register with GD I could transfer it away to someone else?)

Any general recommendation for domain registration?

Sorry for being a bit clueless.

Thanks

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: Domain name registration vs web hosting
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »

Domain registration and web hosting can be completely separate. There’s no need to have them with the same company, though it’s a little easier to keep track of things if they are, i.e. only one payment for both if you pay for hosting annually. Registration is relatively easily transferred as well.

Personally, I’d stay away from Godaddy; I’ve read many second hand accounts of poor service, and their television ads are just atrociously juvenile. But that’s just my opinion.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:40:39 pm »

A very common point of confusion with people.

Domain registration (your registrar) is separate from your web server (host).  Sometimes the host will offer registrar services (re-selling one of the big names) so many people think they are linked. 

Registration is like filing your business name with the state.

Hosting is like your storefront lease. 

You can mix and match anything you like.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:14:32 am »

Thank you both for your replies and help.  It's trickling down :)
I just registered my .photography domain.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:04 am »

Personally, I’d stay away from Godaddy; I’ve read many second hand accounts of poor service, and their television ads are just atrociously juvenile. But that’s just my opinion.

I've been with GoDaddy for over four years and have never had any problems at all.  The only reason that I went with them was because of my fascination for Danica Patrick! ;) I use Google Analytics to track the meager traffic that I get, Dreamweaver CS4 for coding, and Filezilla for posting to the site.  All three of these work just fine.  I have not found any need to update the Dreamweaver version at all.

Lightsmith

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:48:46 pm »

Best to have your own independent domain so you can have the hosting portable and move between providers whenever you choose. It simplifies things. Only drawback is that some picture posting websites will charge more if you use your own specific domain.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 05:35:57 pm »

What Lightsmith said. Never let someone else own you domain name. If they charge more to use yours then avoid them as a big risk.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up