Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Towers  (Read 967 times)

sdwilsonsct

Towers
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:51:49 pm »

Suggestions welcome. Thanks for looking.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Towers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »

Scott - I like the second...and the the transmission tower and lines give nice scale/context...color not quite 100% for me though. The first, I kept thinking "what is that thing doing in the frame?" I don't think the generic base of the tower does anything for the rest of the image.  Having "some object" in frame like this for context etc. can be good...but. As well, same as first...too color def. not 100%...those cyans and red-purples are really intense and don't know if in a good way /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 02:54:36 pm »

First.  They are both very lovely...if you want a picture of a transmission line.  The bottom one looks a bit noisy in the sky. I don't know if that is a function of web publishing or not.

You have reached a point of competence where you can take a fine picture of almost anything. That is really good.  It can get  you jobs and it can sell stock photos (albeit for pennies).  The question now becomes is what you photographed transcendent in any way so that it stands on its own without any need for context or meaning.  No, these aren't there for me.  I wouldn't sweat that.  These are really novel and interesting shots with excellent skies that make the images work.  Put these fine works in a portfolio and move on to shooting more. 

Do you have a personal interest in power lines? I am usually trying (and failing) to avoid them.  Perhaps we should all take your cue and embrace the towers and lines. They certainly are a ubiquitous part of our landscape.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

churly

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »

Ok, I've got to say it.  I hate power lines .  Fortunately, the lovely Sask light comes to the rescue.  I enjoy your exploration of the prairies and particularly like #2.  Keep it up.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:46:27 am »

What stands out for me are the colours and light. In #1, I think the composition would be more efficient with the tower more to the right, with the diagonals in the sky ending towards the tower.

#2, yes the tones are very nice, but I find the composition bland.

francois

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 06:25:39 am »

I like both images but for different reasons. The composing in image #1 is very nice with the imposing tower. Colors are also spectacular. I'm not sure that the powerlines and tower are bringing much to image #2 but I like the landscape with the superb sky.
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 04:03:36 pm »

Many thanks for your comments. I appreciate the diversity and frank responses.

Weird subject, I agree, but ya shoots what ya got. I post a variety of things here because I am quite poor at guessing what others find interesting.

I'll look at pulling back the colours a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up