Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your 3 favorite papers  (Read 6075 times)

huguito

What are your 3 favorite papers
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:45:37 pm »

I know paper choices are completely subjective and made by nothing more than personal taste.
But with such a broad range of stiles around here I would like to know what are your 3 favorites.
1 for Fine Art
1 for Baryta or semigloss
1 for Black and white
Please let me know what printer and inkset
Thanks 

Hugo

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
Re: What are your 3 favorite papers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:41:13 pm »

Epson Velvet Fine Art.

for Luster I like Canson Baryta Photographic or Canon pro luster

and for Black & white either Canson Platine Fiber Rag or Ilford Mono silk gold
Warren

huguito

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:48:14 pm »

The Epson Velvet is the one that is only available in sheets right?

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:15:47 pm »

Sorry, I couldn't get it down to two (I don't see a difference between B&W and color printing).

Smooth fine art: Canson Rag Photographique
Smooth fine art C2S: Hahnemühle Photo Rag Duo 276
Velvet fine art: Canson BFK Rives
Medium textured fine art: Hahnemühle German Etching
Lustre: Canson Platine Fibre Rag.
B and W: any of the above, depending on the image

Epson 3880 and 9890, Ultrachome 3K VM

Brian A

tho_mas

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:58:35 pm »

Fujicolor Crystal Archive Digital Papier Type DP II
(matte & glossy)

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:01:13 pm »

Sorry, I couldn't get it down to two (I don't see a difference between B&W and color printing).

Smooth fine art: Canson Rag Photographique
Smooth fine art C2S: Hahnemühle Photo Rag Duo 276
Velvet fine art: Canson BFK Rives
Medium textured fine art: Hahnemühle German Etching
Lustre: Canson Platine Fibre Rag.
B and W: any of the above, depending on the image

Epson 3880 and 9890, Ultrachome 3K VM

Excellent choices ,Brian

Mike

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:22:51 am by pikeys »

BillDownUnder

• Bill Danby
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:31:39 am »

Canson Platine Fibre Rag - colour and B&W
Epson Hot Press Natural - matte fine art (portraits)
Canson Baryta Photographique - when I need the lightest and the darkest

on a 3880
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:44:21 am by BillDownUnder »

mkihne

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 10:16:38 am »

Fine Art:    Canson Baryta Photographique
                Canson Platine

B&W:        Above and Museo Silver Rag

aaronchan

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 10:42:38 am »

Canson Platine Fibre Rag (Specially with Piezo K7 Warmtone)
Canson BFK
Ilford Gold Fiber Silk (which is for most of my color work)

p.s. actually my favorite matte paper is Harman Inkjet Matt FB Mp Warmtone, but they just don't make this fantastic paper anymore :(

aaron

MHMG

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:17 am »

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl

My fondness for other papers comes and goes, and I use a lot of different papers, but I always keep returning to HPRP for my personal photographic work.  Unique low luster surface with no strong bi-directional grain orientation and not similarly replicated by any other competing media, easy to de-curl, no OBAs and no light-induced dark staining over time. Less brittle coating than most other gloss/luster type media. Very forgiving to spray with HN Protective Spray (aka, Premier Print Shield) with only very slight (and pleasing) boost in sheen when coated yet all differential gloss and bronzing eliminated.  Great lightfastness with LucIa EX pigments (excellent compatibility with Epson K3 and HDR and HP Vivera Pigment as well).

All in all deserving a "Gold Medal" if AaI&A gave out such awards ;)

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:37:32 pm by MHMG »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 12:46:03 pm »

All in all deserving of a "Gold Medal" if AaI&A gave out such awards ;)

+1, but I also like silver and bronze medalist - Photo Rag Baryta, and Photo Rag Satin. I also like the lack of plastic on the back and the fact that you can easily decurl it  with ironing press.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

MHMG

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:14:07 pm »

...I also like the lack of plastic on the back and the fact that you can easily decurl it  with ironing press.

Yes, I could have also mentioned that I routinely back print important metadata on HPRP (printer, ink, media, camera settings, date of photo and date of print, GPS coordinates, etc). I do use a different media setting and custom ICC profile built for the back side finish, but it works well. Papers like IGFS and others that have rather unusual anti curl layers on the back can make back printing impossible. The ideal anti-curl layer, of course, is a double-sided paper that prints the same way on both sides. The symmetry of identical coatings front and back side makes the whole system mechanically matched during temperature and humidity expansion/contraction cycles.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:18:26 pm by MHMG »

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 01:26:50 pm »

I have found Hahnemuehle Bamboo absolutely gorgeous   ! yes they are Canson and Hahnemuehle Baryte and satin that are very good, but sometimes for fine art, you may need something deferent out of crowd if you just forget about technical jargon like Dmax for a while and look at the artistic side instead! but working with it is a little tricky and have to fine tune it in soft proof a little but results worth it; your prints will look more like painting rather than like everybody's
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:37:20 pm by alifatemi »

Some Guy

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 01:59:52 pm »

Museo Silver Rag
Premier Art Canvas (Coarser weave and very white)
Epson Luster

2nd Tier:
Most any of the Inkpress line, esp. Metallic Satin that appears different than the others metallics that appear to look alike.
Kirkland Glossy for tests (Very cheap!).
Some Canson papers that have an easy-mar surface from printer rollers.

Least:
BC Silverado Metallic Canvas (Head strikes from excessive side curl, ink bleeds and runs, and smells awful!).
Thin papers, i.e. Canon Fine Art

shadowblade

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 07:08:50 pm »

My fondness for other papers comes and goes, and I use a lot of different papers, but I always keep returning to HPRP for my personal photographic work.  Unique low luster surface with no strong bi-directional grain orientation and not similarly replicated by any other competing media, easy to de-curl, no OBAs and no light-induced dark staining over time. Less brittle coating than most other gloss/luster type media. Very forgiving to spray with HN Protective Spray (aka, Premier Print Shield) with only very slight (and pleasing) boost in sheen when coated yet all differential gloss and bronzing eliminated.  Great lightfastness with LucIa EX pigments (excellent compatibility with Epson K3 and HDR and HP Vivera Pigment as well).

All in all deserving a "Gold Medal" if AaI&A gave out such awards ;)

cheers,
Mark

How do you find the lightfastness of the Lucia x300-series inks in comparison with the HP Vivera inks? Looking at the results, they seem very similar, with the Lucia inks perhaps having a slight advantage when it comes to tone and colour measurements at the same exposure level, but the Vivera inks possibly slightly better in colour fidelity for the worst 10% of patches (most of the x300 and HP tests haven't reached their endpoints yet, so it's hard to judge based on that). Is it because the Lucia inks are generally very lightfast, but are let down by a single pigment? This seems to also be the case with Epson inks - the non-yellow pigments seem to be just as lightfast as Canon or HP inks (as seen in patches that don't use yellow), and RIPs which minimise the use of yellow ink make for prints almost as lightfast as HP or Epson prints.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 09:24:11 pm »

I have to agree with Mark on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl. I preferred Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta initially but they seem to be able to make the Pearl roll after roll very pristine, I had problems with flecks in Baryta. Performance is great, some of the other PK papers mentioned have more gloss differential than Photo Rag Pearl. I've gone through a lot of it for a few clients and it's been great. The other PK paper I like is Cone Type 5, a bit more texture than HPRP and a bit warmer.
For MK I like William Turner and German Etching for personal work, but for others the delicate surfaces are difficult to deal with, I can't control how others handle the prints. Canson's Edition Etching is very good too, and for those who prefer a neutral smooth paper I use Rag Photographique with no problems. I don't really prefer smooth MK papers myself, they feel too card like to me, but for others Epson Hot Press Natural performs very very well if anyone prefers a bit more base warmth that Rag Photographique. I just completed almost 400 prints for a Kickstarter project that the signature series coatings made look great with their big gamut and dmax, so even though I think the Cold Press surface is a bit "manufactured", I used Epson Cold Press Natural for the entire project and was very impressed. Since there would be a lot of handling of the prints by less than experienced people the more robust surface (compared to William Turner) was the way to go. Edition Etching would have been a nicer surface, but when I saw the color and densities on the signature papers I couldn't give it up.
Tyler

shadowblade

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 10:58:50 pm »

For the record:

Monochrome - Arches Hot Press (no fragile inkjet layer, and the narrower gamut isn't a problem with monochrome). Still trying to make it work with colour.
Matte - Breathing Colour Pura Smooth (great longevity with a good gamut and no OBAs - the curl's annoying, but nothing that two heavy sheets of MDF and a few days can't handle)
Gloss - Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl (great colours, great longevity)
Short-term display - tie between Epson exhibition Fibre and Moab Slickrock. I wouldn't sell anything on these, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up