Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 Day Timelapse  (Read 6541 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
14 Day Timelapse
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:13:46 pm »

A client has asked about doing a 14 day time-lapse.

Im guessing you would get the camera shooting tethered to a laptop and that laptop would FTP/E-mail to my server.

It is an interior location, 'secure' with wifi and power.

I guess we would need to get the images to check on them and of course provide back up.

The location is a couple of hours drive - close enough to go and mend it in emergency, but to far too go for daily checkups/downloads/batt swaps.

I have 5dmk2/3 D3, D80, D600, ideally we'd use the 80 or the mk2 as they are spare from daily shoots and all have great res for HD delivery.

Any ideas/links etc..

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: 14 Day Timelapse
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 03:55:01 am »

A client has asked about doing a 14 day time-lapse.

Im guessing you would get the camera shooting tethered to a laptop and that laptop would FTP/E-mail to my server.

It is an interior location, 'secure' with wifi and power.

I guess we would need to get the images to check on them and of course provide back up.

The location is a couple of hours drive - close enough to go and mend it in emergency, but to far too go for daily checkups/downloads/batt swaps.

I have 5dmk2/3 D3, D80, D600, ideally we'd use the 80 or the mk2 as they are spare from daily shoots and all have great res for HD delivery.

Any ideas/links etc..

S

I've done one a few years ago, a 30 day construction timelapse in an exterior setting. Unfortunately, no links.

Some thoughts from that experience, though technology might have changed: A Nikon has (had?) the better intervelometer, and Canon needs an external one. Of course, I couldn't commute daily as well but a laptop was out of the question. Somebody checked the camera at the end of the day to make sure shots were captured. This person also cleaned the rig and the front of the lens.

Capture more shots than you need. I'm guessing you already know how to calculate shots based on the final duration. This way, if you miss shots due to error or whatever, you can still fill in the timelapse.

Prime lens only, fully manual, bracketing, JPEGs highest quality (so you can pan and scan if you like). All brought into AE (back then NLEs had project size limitations). AE has blend modes similar to Photoshop but no HDR (at least not in CS3).

At least you don't have to deal with both day and night, birds, wind, dust and a specialized rig with additional AC power backup.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 06:21:55 pm »

GoPro and AC power

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 08:47:47 pm »

A GoPro with external power and large cards may be the way to go, depending upon the subject and the output needed. With the external power, I'd set it up with a UPS in case there's a power glitch. However with the GP, good lighting is the key to reasonable-quality jpeg files.

Though using a Nikon/Canon would be a nice set-up, the wear-and-tear of the shutter could lead to an early shutter failure and if shooting raw, you could be overwhelmed with files out of your ears. However, the Nikon can combine the TL frames into a ready-to-edit video, though you will loose the original stills.

When I was looking into a similar project that would be many weeks, if not months, for TL and demolition progression photos, power was the main issue, especially where the camera was to be located. As I researched the solution, I did find a few cameras designed for construction sites that I think didn't require too much herding to keep going, meaning you didn't have to check on them daily. Not sure what's around today.

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:23:34 am »

Check out some of Pentax's offerings.
We used a K20d (I think) a while back.  Had it plugged in to the mains.  It would charge the battery (or two batteries -one in grip) so if power failed it'd at least shoot for another day or so.

We did have to check and download the card though - I like the tethering idea.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up