Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making the jump to Medium Format - Newbie Questions  (Read 14412 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Making the jump to Medium Format - Newbie Questions
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2014, 11:20:22 am »

Hi,

I would say that sitting down and think may be a good option. You may also consider sticking with what you have? Perhaps spending some time on testing different colour profile options? Or just wait to see where present generation CMOS lands in the MF digital world?

Best regards
Erik

Again, thanks for those replies. Still soaking up the info.

I have put my considerations into a spreadsheet and scored them based upon some important areas such as cost, level of newer technology, post processing ability and ergonomics.

Out of the 4 I am considering (H4D40 or 645DF+ with P40+, Leaf Credo 40 or Leaf Aptus II 8) I think I am only able to say I don't believe the Aptus II 8 is in the running anymore with the cost/benefit ratio being the lowest on the list. A P40+ would be my value buy and the Credo 40 would be my big spender investment buy with the Hass right in the middle.

I never thought picking a camera would be so damn hard. It just really seems like these cameras and systems are great in so many areas that the others lack that they make up for it in the end and it's a tie so just just flip a coin. If I was solely a product shooter, maybe the 645 options would be better but it seems like the Hass is better suited for portrait/fashion which is a good amount of what I do. I need a jack of all trades!

Hoping to have some time this weekend to really sit down and make a decision on at least a system to go with and then choose a back if that's necessary.

Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2014, 11:36:43 am »

Seth,

I don't know the gap, between the new P40+ and the Credo 40, but I would strongly weigh the credo over the P40+ mainly due to the screen and if you are tethered shooter the USB3. 

The screen on the older Phase Backs, like the P45+ and P40+ basically were good for general info, i.e histogram, exposure, but not good for determining good focus.  I use the P45+ for almost 3 years on several different Mamiya 645 cameras, then ended up with the DF.  With the older Mamiya wides, and even the mid telephotos, you can be fooled by the AF drive and miss by just enough to be out of critical focus.  For me, attempting to manually focus with the optical finder on the DF is next to impossible, even with the Mamiya magnifier.  In the field I found that I often times needed to use manual focus and the only real way to tell was viewing the LCD on the P45+. 

This is a cumbersome process to being with, requires several different combination of buttons to get to 100% and then to move around. However the screen's feedback at 100% tended to fool me and often what I thought was in focus was not. 

The IQ, Credo screen really has no comparison on the market currently from what I have seen.  The feedback you get is very impressive.  The Credo doesn't offer focus mask, but it still have the same clear sharp resolution similar to an iphone screen.  Viewing images on this screen at 100%, you know instantly if you are are in focus or not and it's worth more than a P40+, but as I don't know the current gap, between the two I don't know if the screen alone is enough.   In my work I am 100% dependent on the IQ LCD as I don't shoot tethered.  If you are in a studio/tethered, then I realize this may not be anywhere as big a consideration.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
Making the jump to Medium Format - Newbie Questions
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2014, 01:19:06 pm »

Thanks for the info Paul.

I can tether into my MacBook Pro pretty easily via thunderbolt or USB but at places like at the beach or other locations its probably my preference to just work off the back of the camera if I am shooting along or with a single assistant. Also when doing a few weddings I will not be tethered.
-Seth

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2014, 07:01:23 pm »

When shooting tethered the IQ and Credo allow you to review the last 10 shots, including histogram and exposure warning, both of which are shown without interrupting the view of the main image (allowed by using the wide aspect ratio screen with the 4:3 image) and the ability to double tap to 100% on any part of the image.

You should do your own testing to see what practical effect this has for you. For me it's huge - it allows me to quickly check a sequence of shots without breaking my connection/rhythm to the model. It's faster for me to vet the image than it is with Canon or Nikon, and feels like a more organic continuation of the shoot than turning my body/head to the large tethered monitor. This ability of the Credo and IQ has allowed me to shoot tethered, with the monitor NOT visible to either I or the model while shooting, but (even without an assistant) have confidence at a glance that the lighting, composition, focus, and tethering connection are all good.

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2014, 11:10:26 pm »

Good points!
-Seth

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2014, 01:35:36 pm »

I feel like I am being swayed (by myself) towards an H4X system with a Credo40 back.
-Seth

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2014, 04:42:41 pm »

So you get a small sensor at a high price? I would be OK if you don't need wide angles, but the sensor is not much larger than 135 format.

Best regards
Erik
I feel like I am being swayed (by myself) towards an H4X system with a Credo40 back.
Erik Kaffehr

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2014, 09:11:08 pm »

So you get a small sensor at a high price? I would be OK if you don't need wide angles, but the sensor is not much larger than 135 format.

Best regards
Erik

Dear thread starter,

Please ignore silly statements like this. Try it out for yourself and see if it works for you.
It does for me and I shoot similar stuff to you.

Cheers.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:50 pm »

Hahaha no worries, not my first rodeo on a forum by any means.

I think it makes the most sense to me but on the other hand pricing just went up from a DF+/Credo 40 kit by a few grand and doesn't include any lenses with this option. Might need to look at an H2 (for now) as I don't think I want to settle for the Mamiya system. Once I build up a few lenses in the bag and H4X's become more available on the used market and prices drop a bit more I will likely jump up for the true focus.
-Seth

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:08 pm »

In that vein...from those who have used it, how well does True Focus work in real world applications?

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2014, 08:01:57 am »

I am told it's nice to have but not totally necessary to get good AF.
-Seth

Ken R

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2014, 09:08:56 am »

I am told it's nice to have but not totally necessary to get good AF.

I use a Hasselblad H1 with my Phase IQ160 and I get very good AF performance even wide open. AF is off a hair from time to time so true focus might help making it more consistent.

NickT

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2014, 02:36:57 pm »

I was one of the original testers for TF and it does indeed help with focus accuracy when using focus re-compose.

The H system AF is indeed very good, certainly more accurate than me these days albeit with only one focus point.

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2014, 09:10:28 am »

Well just to update everyone. I went with a Hasselblad H3Dii 39 kit that I found. The entire kit is under 2500 clicks and I got a pretty smokin' deal on it so I am happy.

The reasoning behind this was laid out by my wife for me yesterday in pretty simple terms - Spend as little capital as possible to get the best gear/results as you can, that money can go elsewhere to help the new business succeed in other areas (I'm opening a studio instead of just freelancing). The jump into medium format will be enough of an upgrade for the infancy of the business.

I knew I married her for a reason, I have to agree with the logic, it's very easy to get swept up into new fancy technology.

Don't get me wrong though, I would have loved that Credo 40 deal... it just wasn't the right time and this system with body, back lens and viewfinder less than half the cost as the H4x with the Credo 40 would have been and maybe 1/3 less than an H2/Credo 40 system (also, neither included any type of glass at those prices given to me).

With this kit I get the Hasselblad system I felt most comfortable with, the 645DF+ just felt "cheap" and while it's a great capable camera it wasn't as comfortable to shoot with. I also get the 40mp image and regardless of if the back is a little older or not, it's a big jump from a 21mp DSLR.

The plan is to shoot with it for a few years, collect some nice Hass glass over time and then look at upgrading the body/back. I did consider the downsides of 1. Using Phocus instead of Capture One and 2. The H3Dii does not have true focus, however, I think it's a very acceptable place to start with MF and if either of those becomes an issue, I will look to swap the kit sooner rather than later.

The strange thing is the kit I purchased was actually the 1st one I looked at when starting all of this 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for all the help everyone.  ;D
-Seth

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2014, 09:21:07 am »

Well just to update everyone. I went with a Hasselblad H3Dii 39 kit that I found. The entire kit is under 2500 clicks and I got a pretty smokin' deal on it so I am happy.

The reasoning behind this was laid out by my wife for me yesterday in pretty simple terms - Spend as little capital as possible to get the best gear/results as you can, that money can go elsewhere to help the new business succeed in other areas (I'm opening a studio instead of just freelancing). The jump into medium format will be enough of an upgrade for the infancy of the business.

I knew I married her for a reason, I have to agree with the logic, it's very easy to get swept up into new fancy technology.

Don't get me wrong though, I would have loved that Credo 40 deal... it just wasn't the right time and this system with body, back lens and viewfinder less than half the cost as the H4x with the Credo 40 would have been and maybe 1/3 less than an H2/Credo 40 system (also, neither included any type of glass at those prices given to me).

With this kit I get the Hasselblad system I felt most comfortable with, the 645DF+ just felt "cheap" and while it's a great capable camera it wasn't as comfortable to shoot with. I also get the 40mp image and regardless of if the back is a little older or not, it's a big jump from a 21mp DSLR.

The plan is to shoot with it for a few years, collect some nice Hass glass over time and then look at upgrading the body/back. I did consider the downsides of 1. Using Phocus instead of Capture One and 2. The H3Dii does not have true focus, however, I think it's a very acceptable place to start with MF and if either of those becomes an issue, I will look to swap the kit sooner rather than later.

The strange thing is the kit I purchased was actually the 1st one I looked at when starting all of this 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for all the help everyone.  ;D

Congrats!

Post some images soon!! :)
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:43 am »

Will do thanks
-Seth

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto