Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Making the jump to Medium Format - Newbie Questions  (Read 14414 times)

Ken R

Re: Making the jump to Medium Format - Newbie Questions
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:34 pm »

Great info, thanks Ken!

No Prob!

Also, it is best to work with a dealer. It is a significant expense and a dealer (in my case Digital Transitions in NYC) helped in getting me the right kit for me (Lance and Doug answered all my questions and showed me several options). Also a Dealer is a must for getting great support should anything go wrong or if you have any issues getting the most out of your gear.

It is one of the reasons I sold my 645D, the lack of all that, even though it was a very nice camera.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 01:39:56 pm »

Please note that the Leaf Aptus II backs do not work with the H4x.  

I have never heard of there being any issues with the Leaf Aptus 75 but it is definitely recommended to double-check before buying.

I also cannot find the H4X page anymore on the Hasselblad USA website.  It makes me wonder whether the H4X is still being offered as an upgrade.

Perhaps one of the dealers can confirm whether it is still available or not.

The H4X is indeed being offered still. However, there is no requirement to provide an H1 or H2 trade in any longer. It is now a stand alone order-ready camera body.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

jerome_m

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 02:11:38 pm »

It seems that everyone is advising to get a PhaseOne back. I am not really sure why, but Hasselblad does not appear to be popular on this forum. PhaseOne certainly makes very nice backs, but plenty of pro photographers use Hasselblad cameras and are happy with the results.

Basically, you said you want to shoot portrait, fashion/glamour, landscapes for art sales, product and food, automotive and weddings. You also want to use a 4x5 Cambo for product/food and try a Rollei 6008 or Mamiya 645AF.

What can I tell you?

First, I would forget about the 6008 and 645AF. If you want to try an older film camera, get yourself a RB 67 and don't connect it to a digital back. Or use your 4x5.

Second, I would also forget about the Cambo with a digital back. Using a camera designed for 4x5 with a digital back is not productive. If you need movements for shooting products on a digital back, the Hasselblad HTS is a better solution.

Third: as with anything photography, the real question is not the camera but the lenses. Hasselblad lenses are very, very good and their line-up covers all what one would do with a MF camera.

Now let us see your intended uses:

-portrait or fashion/glamour: any MF can do that, but you need lenses which have a nice rendering and may appreciate a leaf shutter for outdoor flash photography. Advantage Hasselblad here.

-landscapes for art sales: MF is spectacular when printed big (any brand), a leaf shutter avoids vibrations (only on H cameras, PhaseOne still operates the focal plane shutter), which is a big deal. OTOH, prepare yourself for cameras and lenses which weight double what you are used to. Do you want to carry that much weight or rather use the 5D / buy a Sony 7R and 35mm?

-product and food: movements are a big plus and the HTS is simply a very convenient and productive solution when shooting tethered in the studio with Phocus. Phocus automatically computes fall-off and other defects, taking tilt and shift values into account. Use the standard 80mm on extension rings (very good results) or the new 50mm with the specially designed macro adapter (incredibly good results).

-automotive: any MF camera can do that. Save money for the strobes.

-weddings: use your Canon, unless it is for portraits. MF cameras can shoot up to iso400 (50 mpix backs and more) or iso800-1600 (31 or 40 mpix backs) with good results, but the AF system is not as good as what your 5D does. AND the 5D has more convenient zooms.

NickT

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 03:18:43 pm »

What Jerome said.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Why LuLa is a Phase One forum
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »

Hi,

As someone noted, many people like Phase One on these forums. I think that there are a couple of reasons for that:

- Phase One makes good stuff and may be the leader in MF digital.
- Hasselblad made the very unwise decision to lock everyone else out from their system.
- Most MFD owners related to LuLa are shooting Phase One
- A lot of knowledgable Phase One distributors chiming in

So, I guess that it is quite natural that this site is a bit oriented towards Phase and it is a bit out of phase with Hasselblad.

I may be a bit pity. I feel that Hasselblad makes great cameras.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

NickT

Re: Why LuLa is a Phase One forum
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 03:39:29 pm »

- Hasselblad made the very unwise decision to lock everyone else out from their system.

So can I take the back off one of my Hasselblads and put it on the DF1 or whatever it's called?

jerome_m

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »

I am not so sure that this decision was "unwise". It seems that PhaseOne was actually manufacturing H backs at the time (mine sure says "Made in Denmark". I don't think that Hasselblad could have survived without that decision.

Just as an exercise: let me check one little thing with you. How many digital MF brands existed at the time? Which one of them survive today?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 04:59:07 pm »

I am not so sure that this decision was "unwise". It seems that PhaseOne was actually manufacturing H backs at the time (mine sure says "Made in Denmark". I don't think that Hasselblad could have survived without that decision.

That's because at the time Hasselblad was making backs in Denmark.

They've since closed that facility and the backs are made in Sweden.

Ken R

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 05:09:08 pm »

Just as an exercise: let me check one little thing with you. How many digital MF brands existed at the time? Which one of them survive today?

The Hasselblad system is a VERY good MF SLR system. It is well integrated, has a wide range of excellent lenses and performs very well from what I have seen. In my case I wanted to use a technical camera as my main platform for medium format digital and PhaseOne makes the best product for that (untethered work out in the field under a wide range of weather conditions). Yes, the Hasselblad Backs can be made to work on a tech camera but it is not their forte. Like I mentioned I even have a H1 body to use with my IQ160 back on certain occasions. Works great.

Todays MF Digital offerings are superb. It is awesome to have so many good choices. It is better than it has ever been. Can the products be better. Of course they can. The main shortcomings are speed, AF performance, High ISO image quality and Live View. All should be improved in the coming products. In fact a few of those wants have been addressed by the PhaseOne IQ250 already and the upcoming Hasselblad H5D-50C and the Pentax 645D II very soon.

Theodoros

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 05:37:42 pm »

Actually, they changed hands twice (or was it three times ?) and production shrunk enough to shut down the Denmark facilities (ex-Imacon), because of the decision to "close" the system… Then, they had another stupid decision (their marketing dpt seems to be run by "bright" people), they replaced the CF backs with the CFV backs… so that users of other cameras couldn't buy a Hasselblad back anymore (real marketing Einsteins these guys !!  ;))…., now they have a third bright decision…  :o the lunar/solar system that will sell… 50000 cameras annually  :P (or maybe it will be 2,000,000)  ::). The end is near unless they wake up! Leica/Sinar & Phamyia will have them for breakfast…  ???  :'(

haplo602

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 06:43:22 pm »

One remark considering the closed H system bodies (H3+), Hasselblad decided to make new lenses (all HCD labeled AFAIK) to only work on the closed bodies. So you cannot put all available lenses on an H1/H2 body. I think H4X is the only body compatible with all the lenses and non-hasselblad backs.

So if you plan on using any of the HCD lenses, your only option is to go all Hasselblad.

(better informed people please correct me if that's no longer true :-))

JV

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 07:20:41 pm »

The H4X is indeed being offered still. However, there is no requirement to provide an H1 or H2 trade in any longer. It is now a stand alone order-ready camera body.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Thanks for confirming Steve!

JV

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 07:26:57 pm »

Hasselblad lenses are very, very good and their line-up covers all what one would do with a MF camera.

+1.  Hasselblad still has the most complete lens line-up.  No other manufacturer has 12 autofocus leaf shutter lenses.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »

One remark considering the closed H system bodies (H3+), Hasselblad decided to make new lenses (all HCD labeled AFAIK) to only work on the closed bodies. So you cannot put all available lenses on an H1/H2 body. I think H4X is the only body compatible with all the lenses and non-hasselblad backs.

So if you plan on using any of the HCD lenses, your only option is to go all Hasselblad.

(better informed people please correct me if that's no longer true :-))

Just the modest tweak, if you don't mind - If you plan on using any of the HCD lenses and you also want to shoot with a Leaf or Phase One digital back, then your only option is to purchase a Hasselblad H4X body. Otherwise, your option is to go all Hasselblad, as you stated.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

JV

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 07:35:42 pm »

I think H4X is the only body compatible with all the lenses and non-hasselblad backs.

You can use the HCD lenses on a H4X body but you don't get the DAC lens corrections as you are not using Phocus.

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
Making the jump to Medium Format - Newbie Questions
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 07:38:13 pm »

Thanks Steve. As said before I'm looking away from Hasselblad now because of the immense amount of other options I would have shooting a phase one body.

Right now my biggest choice would be to learn towards a new Credo 40, a new Aptus II 8 or a pre owned P40+ for the 645DF+ body.

Anyone have a preference in that group?
-Seth

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:11 pm »

Thanks Steve. As said before I'm looking away from Hasselblad now because of the immense amount of other options I would have shooting a phase one body.

Right now my biggest choice would be to learn towards a new Credo 40, a new Aptus II 8 or a pre owned P40+ for the 645DF+ body.

I tested a credo and aptus II side by side and instantly made my mind to get the credo. The screen is better, overall operation is faster and it exudes better quality overall.

there are some good deals on the p backs, but the screen was a deal breaker for me. May not be a factor for others though...
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Ken R

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 07:47:56 pm »

Between those 3 the Leaf Credo 40 for sure.

The P40+ has the same sensor and it has sensor + but the screen of the P40+ is horrible.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 08:08:45 pm »

Like others, I would have to say Credo 40. But the cost will be higher, so it is important to quantify the advantages as they would impact you and your work. Same CCD Sensor in all 3 backs (but color and out of the box rendering different with all 3). There are many unique advantages for each. That said - a Credo 40/DF+ kit is a great buy right now, considering it is about $6,000 less than it was in December.

https://captureintegration.com/mamiya-leaf-40-promotion/

And only $2,000 more than an Aptus-II 8, and thousands less than a new P40+ (and not too far off refurbished P40+ units). Ok, I've talked myself into it. Your budget has to be pretty tight if it is in that range to not go for the Credo!

Re-reading your initial post, with regard to backup, options will be limited to DF/DF+ bodies if you opt for the Schneider lenses.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

SethDAugust

• Personal Site
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 09:36:30 pm »

Yeah I feel myself leaning for either going all out on the Credo or going more budget friendly on the pre owned P40+.
-Seth
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up