Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 SSD Drive configure question  (Read 1585 times)

RetSurfer

• My Flickr Site
2 SSD Drive configure question
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:24:37 pm »

I just purchased a new dell Laptop with two 256 SSD’s. I’ve searched this forum and am not straight on my configuration. I’ve been using LR for several years and have my Library on my NAS. Just bought the CS6 online and was going to download both LR and PS on the second SSD while keeping all my work stuff and OS (W8.1) on the first one.
Does this make sense?

Thanks

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: 2 SSD Drive configure question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:01 am »

I just purchased a new dell Laptop with two 256 SSD’s. I’ve searched this forum and am not straight on my configuration. I’ve been using LR for several years and have my Library on my NAS. Just bought the CS6 online and was going to download both LR and PS on the second SSD while keeping all my work stuff and OS (W8.1) on the first one.
Does this make sense?

Thanks

This is a little bit strange if you're calling a library a library.   With LR you have your library (preview pics) and database  you normally keep separate from your actual data (raw files or original jpegs, whichever you use).

Typically with your setup, providing your library is small.. I'd put your current data on the second 256gb drive and make sure to offload it to your archives when finished.   The primary/OS/Programs SSD, the first one, would normally also room your library and database for LR and your paging file for Windows (if your SSD's are really fast you can choose to not use a paging file) and your first scratch disk for CS PS with your second scratch disk for CS PS being your second SSD.

All this is dependent on the size of your library and if you offload your recently finished work to a larger archive.

And it could change if your SSD;s are really fast (turn off paging)..

In other words, this is all highly dependent on your personal work flow, size of your library, etc..,

Good luck with it..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

RetSurfer

• My Flickr Site
Re: 2 SSD Drive configure question
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:36 am »

All this is dependent on the size of your library and if you offload your recently finished work to a larger archive.

And it could change if your SSD;s are really fast (turn off paging)..

In other words, this is all highly dependent on your personal work flow, size of your library, etc..,

Good luck with it..

OK, I call my downloaded RAW files my Library. It's 420 GB's so I don't think leaving it on the primary is a good idea. ;D
I download directly to the NAS through LR. I've never paid attention to cache or previews before but now I'm changing computers and want to learn PS I need to.
And yes, it's a VERY high end system. I need it for my work.

Thank you for your reply....

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up