Poll

Will you still consider P1 IQ250 / H5-50C after seeing the value proposition of Pentax?

I will still get an IQ250 for 35k USD!
- 5 (7.1%)
I will still get a Hassy for 25k!
- 2 (2.9%)
I just might switch to Pentax!
- 25 (35.7%)
I will get Pentax as a second MF camera!
- 11 (15.7%)
P1 / Hassy will need to lower prices or else lose market share!
- 27 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the new Pentax 645 a game changer?: 10k USD, 100k+ ISO, 3fps, movie mode!!  (Read 19659 times)

PaulSchneider

Hi guys,

multi-billion japanese conglomerate decides to strike back in the MF arena: revolutionary specs (movie mode, ISO 100-200k!!!) for medium format at less than a third of the price of just announced P1:

http://photorumors.com/2014/02/15/pentax-645d-ii-specifications-and-price-report-from-cp/

Only remaining advantage seems to be the ability to use P1 / Hassy on tech cams and such stuff as wifi tethering.

But seriously: same sensor, less than a third of the price.

How will market reaction be?

Exciting times!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

If that price holds, yes, it could possibly be a game changer.  Hopefully Pentax/Ricoh will setup their dealer support in the US.  They also could use a few more lenses, at least sell more in the U.S.  Example the 35mm FA, has not been available in the U.S for year, but appears to still be sold in Japan.  Pentax has a real game changer here for sure, if they get it to market on time and update/ship some newer lenses.  I have not yet seen anything official that states it's the same chip as the Phase One 250 has, just talk.  However the 250 has already show just how much DR the Sony chip has. 

Love the look of the new body and the tilting LCD. 

Paul C.
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BJL

Re: Is the new Pentax 645 a game changer? WARNING: still "rumor-specs"
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »

These specs are still only rumors and speculation, taken from an interview with famous Japanese photographer, not from a Ricoh-Pentax rep.  One give-away is that the resolution is not specified exactly, but only as "40-50 MP".

But I am hopeful that this will be a interesting camera -- in the more affordable "medium medium format" (44x33mm) sector, as opposed to the yet far more expensive "large medium format" of about 54x40mm.

synn

• My fine art portfolio

The poll is an excellent example of what loaded questions are.

The Pentax is a fine camera and if that price is true, it will indeed be excellent value for money, but that doesn't mean it will appeal to everyone. There are still several factors about it that puts it out of contention for several photographers (Like me, for instance). Things like lack of Leaf shutter lenses, lack of proper tethering support, inability to process the files in Capture One, non-removable back, etc.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com

Pentax should come with a mirrorless 645 ASAP. Sony's A7's success is partly because the camera can be used with about any lens in existence. Pentax should do the same with a body with the shortest lens mount distance to sensor and really shake the world! In practice it could work as a digital back but with controls built-in. Eduardo

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

The poll is an excellent example of what loaded questions are.

The Pentax is a fine camera and if that price is true, it will indeed be excellent value for money, but that doesn't mean it will appeal to everyone. There are still several factors about it that puts it out of contention for several photographers (Like me, for instance). Things like lack of Leaf shutter lenses, lack of proper tethering support, inability to process the files in Capture One, non-removable back, etc.

The problem with a Pentax is that it is not supported by software from Phase?
I see you have a sense of humor :)
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

synn

• My fine art portfolio

The problem with a Pentax is that it is not supported by software from Phase?
I see you have a sense of humor :)

The problem with the Pentax *for my usage* is that it doesn't fit into my workflow.
I see that you lack comprehension skills.

torger

I don't think the pentax is any game changer at all in MF space in the short term. The price difference was there even before we started to get CMOS.

I think it's more likely to "steal" DSLR users than to steal users from hassy and phase. As synn points out it's not only about the camera, it's about the workflow.

Oh well, it could be a game changer in the longer term, new photographers don't start with MF, the good ones will know how to produce great results with DLSRs already, and the price/performance of Phase and Hassy does not look better after this which may mean that it's less likely that people will upgrade to MF in the future. I think that was already happening though. Turning into making it a luxury and status product (where high price is an advantage) may be the solution, Hassy is already trying that path.

Pentax is right there with the flagship 135 DSLRs in pricing so any 135 user that wants a fatter camera I think the Pentax will look quite good. With CMOS functionality you don't need to sacrifice as many 135 features either so I think more 135 users may be interested in upgrading now than before when it was CCD based.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:12:24 am by torger »

bcooter

The problem with the Pentax

Don't see any problem with the Pentax today as long as it will tether and with usb 3 I assume they have plans for that.

I looked at the original, got very close, but the tethering, small buffer and they were just bought by Ricoh and got very quiet made me hold off.

But when you look at it the price two pentax is the cost of one phase backand with the pentax you get the complete camera.    

With the same sensor should be quite close in quality.    In regards to lens prices, they're equal to all medium format lenses, so they're not off the scale or too high.

It looks like a good deal.

IMO

BC

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Don't see any problem with the Pentax

I was only responding to the snarky post with that remark. I don't see any  "problem" with the Pentax, just pointing out that it is not a universal solution.
My thoughts on it are in the original post.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook

Nice idea, but I'm not interested, and neither I suspect will most MF users who buy in to a system, not just a camera body.  Where the Pentax might be more successful is in attracting some DSLR users from the higher end amateur market.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

MrSmith

im interested if it tethers. I'm looking at various 36-40 mp options and the pentax will probably be in the running once the specs/price gets officially announced.
in fact buying 2 of the options i'm looking at would be on budget.
not seen any knock on for prices of h4d-40/iq-140 kit yet due to the new backs/cameras from phamiyablad but i expect that will happen soon.
the fact is all the options are flawed in some way and nothing is screaming 'buy me' which is why i'm thinking 2 cheaper systems are going to be better than 1.
be interested to see if the rental/dealers in london pick the pentax up or steer clear to protect their profits on leaf/HB/phase

synn

• My fine art portfolio

im interested if it tethers. I'm looking at various 36-40 mp options and the pentax will probably be in the running once the specs/price gets officially announced.
in fact buying 2 of the options i'm looking at would be on budget.
not seen any knock on for prices of h4d-40/iq-140 kit yet due to the new backs/cameras from phamiyablad but i expect that will happen soon.
the fact is all the options are flawed in some way and nothing is screaming 'buy me' which is why i'm thinking 2 cheaper systems are going to be better than 1.
be interested to see if the rental/dealers in london pick the pentax up or steer clear to protect their profits on leaf/HB/phase

There's a deal on the Credo 40 at the moment.

MrSmith

probably but you need to enter into some kind of dialogue with a dealer who wants to talk about the camera and build up a bit of a myth surrounding it then let you know the price. in this digital age you do not need to pay a 'web guy' £50/hour to update the 'constantly fluctuating prices' so no i will not 'call for price' just tell me on your website how much it is?
rant over, on with the discussion about the new pentax.

edit: they actually put the price on the website! £9300+vat well done peartree rental. now is that the real price?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:45:33 am by MrSmith »

synn

• My fine art portfolio

probably but you need to enter into some kind of dialogue with a dealer who wants to talk about the camera and build up a bit of a myth surrounding it then let you know the price. in this digital age you do not need to pay a 'web guy' £50/hour to update the 'constantly fluctuating prices' so no i will not 'call for price' just tell me on your website how much it is?
rant over, on with the discussion about the new pentax.

edit: they actually put the price on the website! £9300+vat well done peartree rental. now is that the real price?

Yeah.
That's the price everywhere.  You can buy it from B&H if you wanted to and avoid any sort of dialog.

p.s. Mamiyaleaf prices have always been advertised on dealer websites. It's only Phase prices that have been "Call to ask".

jerome_m

I think the Pentax 645 could be a game changer if its video is any good. That won't concern me directly, and may not concern people from this forum, but the idea that one could get a "special MF look" on movies with that camera may attract filmmakers. Some of them have large budgets.

This is what happened with the Canon 5D Mark II. It was not a very good movie camera, but crowds of filmmakers bought it nevertheless for its special look. It changed the market.

henrikfoto

How is the AF on Pentax ? 
And does it have more than one af-point?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

Seen from my eyes, Pentax has at least one problem called Otus.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

Cheers,
Bernard

You're right.
It has an even worse problem which is the cheaper Zeiss 50 on cheap Sony bodies, present and upcoming.
It's time medium format went back to 6x6 or 6x7, 35mm lenses are getting too good compâred to the legacy MF stuff out there.

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:09:59 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com

I've thought the same thing but a set of 3 Otus , WA, Norm and Tele would add easily $12k. In my point of view and personal shooting modes, it may be better to me to buy a 645DII and a wide and use my CF V lenses with an adapter. However, I'll wait for Kina to make any decision and that includes also anything about the A7R. In the meantime I'll fantasize about a mirrorless Pentax 645.  Eduardo.        

Cheers,
Bernard

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:57:34 pm by uaiomex »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up