Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm X camera users: does the "Dynamic Range" setting affect RAW files?  (Read 4217 times)

AFairley

I would think not, but I know the manufacturers do massage the RAW files some before they are written, so....  And how about the "Lens Modulation Optimizer" setting?
Thanks

armand

• Photos

There was a post by Thom Hogan about this and as far as I recall it does affect the raw also; his recommendation was not to use it as you can do a better (or as good) job in post processing. I heard similar things about the lens optimization although I'm less sure on this one.

The caveat is that if you use jpegs than it's actually a good thing to use the in-camera boost of dynamic range. So far I leave it on auto and seems to be quite good.

armand

• Photos

PS. Keep in mind that for high dynamic scenes it will use DR400% which requires ISO 800, even in bright daylight.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Yes it affects the raw files and makes a considerable improvement from what I have seen, especially with noise.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

AFairley

Thanks, guys. 

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...

Today I made a quick test to see if there is a difference between Jpegs and RAW files and LMO on and LMO off with my Fujifilm X E2 and the 18-55 mm lens.
X E2 Firmware version 1.1, Lens Firmware 3.1 => LMO possible

I tried F-Stops from F2.8 to F22 using an Imatest test chart and a took images of a wooden table from F4 to F22.

I could see a difference between F5.6/F8 with false detail and F11 and F22, getting worse towards F22 - this is expected behavior.

EDIT: Sorry - just realized I messed up something - the difference is also visible in the center of the image - but only for Jpegs.

Conclusion:
LMO does effect Jpegs, Raw seems unaffected.

Cheers
~Chris

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:09:01 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »
Pages: [1]   Go Up