Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Experimentation  (Read 2669 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Newbie Experimentation
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:09:46 pm »

Don't be too tuff on me  :)
Just played around with this one. Shot 4 on tripod with matching settings and Lr Processing. Only variation was movement of plants in wind.  Then layered them up in Ps, manipulating blend modes, opacity and erase. Suggestions and blunt CC are appreciated. I can't tell if I am going to like this one or not until I print it. Thanks, -t
One Day At A Time

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Newbie Experimentation
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:17:51 am »

I would print it and hang it on a wall for a while to see how long you like it.
I have prints I made forty years ago that I still like a lot (whether anyone else does is another question), and I have recent ones that I thought were good enough to print, but that seem to wear out their welcome in a week or two.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 01:01:14 am »

You can also use it as the wall paper on your computer for a while and see if it grows on you. That's what I often do when I'm trying to decide if I like the image the way it is or if I might like to change it a bit.
Jay W Page

Tony Hubcaps

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:36:54 pm »

I would print it and hang it on a wall for a while to see how long you like it.
I have prints I made forty years ago that I still like a lot (whether anyone else does is another question), and I have recent ones that I thought were good enough to print, but that seem to wear out their welcome in a week or two.

Have to say - there is a lot of sense here.  It takes a long time before it becomes clear whether a picture works
or not.  There are many aspects... a shot might look good onscreen, but does the composition work from 20ft away,
does it draw you in? does it balance? - there is no end to the considerations...

After a year do you still like it?
Do others??

It's a complicated dialectic....

I hate it, but often I find in retrospect, not that others were right to complain, but that they weren't wrong
either...

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:48:18 pm »

It's a complicated dialectic....

I hate it, but often I find in retrospect, not that others were right to complain, but that they weren't wrong
either...
Very true. But there are also some photographs that with enough time I still feel are meaningful to me, even if they don't seem to please others.
Since I don't make my living from them, I really only have to satisfy myself.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 02:56:22 am »

Todd - don't think this is an interesting shot all the way around. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 07:08:34 am »

For me it doesn't work.

I tried some things in post, but wasn't able to do anything to make it work.

The reasons, I believe are the tonalities in the snow, which are too much compressed and near burned and
the movement which is not a clear movement effect and thus creates a sense of disturbance.

I could imagine working on a single shot might work with improved treatment of the highlights or,
a re-shoot with a longer shutter time and attempting to get a real movement-blur effect.

All in all I think its a good concept and composition worth working on, though the mission is not yet accomplished.

Cheers
~Chris
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:10:14 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 08:10:31 am »

Todd, you're a good photographer. Your "Snow Farm" proves it. So, I'll say what everybody else has been too polite to say: There's no there there in that picture. You're no different than any of us, there are times when your focus wanders.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

churly

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 09:10:11 am »

Todd - I suspect by now you have sussed that almost all but the most basic of critique that you will see on this site or others is self-referential to the critic (including anything I might say).  Have a look at the work of those that offer the critique and you will get a pretty good feeling where they are coming from.  Unbiased? - not.  That doesn't say the critique isn't worth listening too, it just says that in the end you have to listen to yourself.  I think Eric's advice is good.  Keep it around for a while and go back and have a look.  Often that helps to see what others are or aren't seeing.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 11:17:23 am »

... So, I'll say what everybody else has been too polite to say: There's no there there in that picture. You're no different than any of us, there are times when your focus wanders.
Thanks Russ and EVERYONE who has commented and I agree with everyone's "take" on it. My original intent was to capture the bamboo and underneath areas as static and movement of the leaves in the wind. With lens shut down to 22 and ISO at 100 I was not able to get enough time to capture the amount of movement I had wanted. This PP was an experiment for me using Ps to combine the sequential movement of four images layered on top of each other, erasing most of each layer. anyway. I will print it and see what this has achieved.

I did not have a lot of time to devote to these images when I started so there are tons of options I have not even thought through yet. It has been very helpful to get everyone's input at this stage to help me think through what is the best way to render these, if there is one. So, THANK YOU..... -t
One Day At A Time

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 12:53:08 pm »

Thanks Russ and EVERYONE who has commented and I agree with everyone's "take" on it. My original intent was to capture the bamboo and underneath areas as static and movement of the leaves in the wind. With lens shut down to 22 and ISO at 100 I was not able to get enough time to capture the amount of movement I had wanted. This PP was an experiment for me using Ps to combine the sequential movement of four images layered on top of each other, erasing most of each layer. anyway. I will print it and see what this has achieved.

I did not have a lot of time to devote to these images when I started so there are tons of options I have not even thought through yet. It has been very helpful to get everyone's input at this stage to help me think through what is the best way to render these, if there is one. So, THANK YOU..... -t

If you didn't have enough time there are two solutions:
1. Get an ND Filter
2. Take even more shots and not just 4
3. Use a single image and fake some movement with motion blur (probably not as good)

Cheers
~Chris

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 01:04:58 pm »

I don't know about the fine points, but I like the sculptural form of the foreground and central tree.  Here I did a crude job of lighting the background so that the part I liked stood out more.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 01:08:52 pm »

I don't know about the fine points, but I like the sculptural form of the foreground and central tree.  Here I did a crude job of lighting the background so that the part I liked stood out more.

That's sort of the direction I tried too, but I wasn't happy with the result.
I think the 4-image-stack just doesn't work, though the composition is nice,
what your edit shows well.
Cheers
~Chris

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 07:41:17 pm »

Another rendering from just one exposure without layering images
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up