Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sometimes you just have to stand and stare open mouthed  (Read 2534 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Sometimes you just have to stand and stare open mouthed
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

This must be the best sunset I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing, but I only managed to get to the tail end of it for a grab shot or two.

I was driving through a dense forest at well over 80 MPH in an 8 birth camper van for over 20 minutes, with pans, picnic tables and even the flat screen TV smashing around in the back, with this amazing sunset going on and just visible through the trees to my right. We finally managed to screech into a small parking area with a gap in the trees that led down to the beach. I wish I had managed to get there ten minutes earlier, instead of arriving just in time to snatch a few grab shots at the end of the show, yes folks, this is well towards the end of the sunset and when the light was very much starting to fade, so we just ended up standing there, in the middle of nowhere with mouths open and gawping at what nature can do when it has a mind to.

I know it isn't that bad a shot and I am not disappointed, as my memory image is much better than this, but believe me, as a photograph, it could have been so, so much more  ::)

Dave
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:05:21 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Tony Jay

Re: Sometimes you just have to stand and stare open mouthed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:46:39 pm »

Nonetheless, a stunning sunset and a very well balanced composition.

Man, you keep posting shots like you have recently and you will force me to come and take a look at your part of the world!
P.S. I'll be sure to bring my camera.

Tony Jay

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:51:17 pm »

I know it isn't that bad a shot and I am not disappointed, as my memory image is much better than this, but believe me, as a photograph, it could have been so, so much better  ::)

Dave
It is a fine shot, but the problem for me, as with most photographs of sunsets, is that I have too many memory images of sunsets that are so, so much better. I find it impossible to completely forget, in looking at sunset shots and also to a lesser extent at pretty much any photograph of exceptionally beautiful scenery, that the image compares poorly to the original. It isn't all of my reaction to such shots, but it is always there, to some degree - a shadow of disappointment.
Ken Cameron

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:10:54 pm »

Nonetheless, a stunning sunset and a very well balanced composition.

Tony Jay

+1
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:03 am »

A fine sunset shot.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:53 am »

I was driving through a dense forest at well over 80 MPH in an 8 birth camper van for over 20 minutes, with pans, picnic tables and even the flat screen TV smashing around in the back, with this amazing sunset going on and just visible through the trees to my right. We finally managed to screech into a small parking area with a gap in the trees that led down to the beach. I wish I had managed to get there ten minutes earlier, instead of arriving just in time to snatch a few grab shots at the end of the show, yes folks, this is well towards the end of the sunset and when the light was very much starting to fade, so we just ended up standing there, in the middle of nowhere with mouths open and gawping at what nature can do when it has a mind to.
The light with sunsets changes so rapidly and it's very frustrating if you are trying to get to a vantage point to take advantage of it.

One thing struck me about your very pretty shot is that it looked very like a Canon file due to the oranges. Which was indeed the case when I looked at the Exif data.
Did you open the raw file with the Adobe standard profile, because if you use one of the camera profiles that Adobe now provides in ACR/LR calibration tab/panel you get a different rendition particularly in the orange/reds - which is often useful with sunsets or flames.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

batmura

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:19:02 am »

Very beautiful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up