Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guidebook -Map suggestions - Iceland  (Read 3069 times)

duranash

Guidebook -Map suggestions - Iceland
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:51:23 pm »

I'll be doing a short trip to Iceland in August and wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a good guidebook geared more specifically to photography.  Also where can I find a good driving map since we will be renting a car.  I have heard mention of the map and ebook from the International Photographer website...anyone actually bought and used these resources?

subrata1965

Re: Guidebook -Map suggestions - Iceland
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »

Map from International Photographer website is good, however their eBook is not good at all. They just described how they traveled and photographs are not appealing to my eyes. Just my personal opinion.

I would recommend this eBook.

Subrata Guha

Paulowen

• www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:07:05 am »

Is there a specific area in Iceland you are visiting?

duranash

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »

I expect to primarily visit south coast locations after spending some time in the area around Gulfoss. We will only have 4.5 days with a little time on the evening of our arrival---thought we might do Blue Lagoon that evening.  Thanks for the ebook recommendation.  I had seen this online before but wondered if it was a good resource. Does the ebook have maps too?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:34:53 pm by duranash »

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:08:10 pm »

I highly recommend the map and ebook from http://www.international-photographer.com/library/iceland-eroadbook-en.htm
I spent 2 weeks in Iceland, camping for 12 days and the two items were invaluable.  We drove around the entire country, although the highland roads were still closed in early June.  That won't be a problem when you go in August.  My favorite area is Jokulsarlon in the south.

The ebook has maps, but it's more of a journal of the author's previous trip, with written and mapped descriptions.  The folding map contains a lot more detail with points of interests.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:15:21 pm by acktdi »

Paulowen

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:58 pm »

4.5 days should give you time to get as far east as Jokulsarlon. This will encompass locations such as Skogafoss, Dyrholaey, Vik/Reynisdrangar, Svartifoss/Skaftafell as well as the glacial lagoon and beach at Jokulsarlon. A good map is the 1:400,000 Iceland Road Map from Freytag & Berndt.

duranash

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:34:22 pm »

Paulowen - what you describe is just about what we had in mind for our time in Iceland.  Jokusarlon is really high on my list.  Thanks for the map suggestion, I'll have a look

Paulowen

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 03:13:46 am »

Even though Jokulsarlon has been done to death - no two images are ever the same! The ice changes as does the lighting conditions so every picture really is unique!
Most people who visit Jokulsarlon park in the parking area near the coffee shop and skirt the east side of the lagoon. Can I also suggest parking in the newly constructed parking bays off the main road before you reach the bridge over the lagoon outlet. These are simple roped-off affairs. A short 2 minute trek through the glacial moraines and you are on the western shore of the lagoon - much more photogenic/less-crowded!

duranash

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:13:44 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will certainly try that location.

IcelandAurora

• Driven by a passion for Landscape Photography
    • Iceland Aurora photo tours
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 02:07:13 pm »

You can buy good road maps in the fuel stations here, I have even seen "Photography maps" on sale lately.  Though, it is all very straight forward, you could have a fullfilling trip just following the #1 road, but useful to know of a few hidden gems.  Personally I prefer the North during Summer, but probably because I spend most of the Winter on the South coast.

I have a modest location guide on this site:
Iceland Locations

Most of all stay safe and have fun... then come back in the Winter.
Driven by a passion for landscape photography and Iceland
http://icelandaurora.com/tours/
Pages: [1]   Go Up