Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's play a little game of what camera shot what.  (Read 16929 times)

RobertJ

Re: Let's play a little game of what camera shot what.
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 09:19:21 am »

I generally like to see a nice highlight roll-off on the skin, and IMO, that would be C, even though the smoothness can be simulated in post-processing.  It also, to me, has the most neutral color.  It's cool how we all see things differently... or is it? :)

Theodoros

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 11:32:03 am »

Hi Sandeep,

You are suggesting that the differences are static, non-changing, but new sensor generations in general improve over older ones. So, yesterday's opinion may differ from today's, and today's may differ from tomorrow's.  Therefore the discussion will not stop, as long as technology develops.

That's an odd position. I for one, am not in a camp, but will judge based on the presented evidence and on how well the equipment is suited for the purpose.

As long as the images are somewhat comparable. Graphs and charts will allow a more objective judgment with fewer variables to consider.

They are reasonably close, close enough for comparison, but the Raw conversion process will always benefit one over the other, depending on what one is looking at. Some camera profiles are better than others for certain subjects (which is why a number of people say they prefer Leaf backs for portraits / skin color). Both Leaf and PhaseOne backs use the same basic (CCD) sensor technology, yet some prefer Leaf for one type of subject, and PhaseOne for another type.

With that out of the way, A = MFDB, B and C are 35mm FF cameras (B is possibly a Canon, C is possibly a Nikon).
That is based on the aliasing character of A, and the sharpening Halo on B and C.

There is some difference in the color rendering, but that may (besides camera profile) also be caused by moving colored objects/surfaces/clothing close to the camera that seems to reflect some green on the subject. We have to assume that the flash emitted a constant color temperature, because changing the output power could introduce a slight shift in colorbalance, which could require a different correction in the Raw conversion process.

The highlights of A are a bit too desaturated for my taste, and the overall bias is more orange than yellow, which is apparently considered more pleasing with Asian types of skin color, or so I'm told.
The colors of B are slightly greener in the shadows, and the skintone in C looks desaturated (maybe Raw compression and noise reduction also caused a bit more smoothing, although that may also be due to CaptureOne's Detail settings for the specific camera model).

So for me the differences are mostly color mapping related, B needing a bit less green, and the others needing less desaturation. Of course, this is only going to jump out in a direct side by side comparision. The highlight roll-off is a function of tonecurve, and can be adjusted to taste.

Cheers,
Bart
Hi Bart, I believe that the HL roll off is a consequence of Synn using IQ250 profile to develop the Nikon ("C")… The Canon ("B") must have been developed with the same profile (IQ250), but it not being a Sony sensor, the green cast that you correctly observe has been developed as if it was the Canon profile… (It would have been a blue cast on "C" (Nikon) if he didn't use the IQ250 profile but the D800 one). Never the less, the back ("A"), doesn't have the HL roll-off nor the halos that you correctly observe on the DSLRs, but it is still easier to recognise by the more DR extension in the deep shadows (neck, iris, right part of dress, right/dark part of hair) where it holds colour information… The skin is a bit over saturated with the back ("A") IMO, while the Nikon ("C") is a bit desaturated (look at the lips on both DSLRs) which leads to better skin tones, but it also prevents the blue cast that would other wise start to appear in the deep shadows.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 11:38:50 am »

Hi,

I looked closely now, and I still feel the order is A, C, B. Don't know which camera is which.

On the darks, I feel 'A' is worst, the other two may be better. Hard to know.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:38:35 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 11:46:09 am »

So U start a game, and when it will end?  I hope its NOT a season like baseball or some kind of sport..Anyway, I hate people so I do not like anyone.
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Fine_Art

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »

First I have to say I am looking at these on a color corrected laptop with limited gamut. I have to be careful on the highlights comments. The lighting looks a bit harsh blowing right through the skin.

A has a slight magenta cast
B has a definite green cast
C has proper color.

A detail is clean
B is a bit soft
C has good detail with stronger contrast.

I would bet B is a crap (relative) camera
C is a D800
A is a MFDB

I like C the most.

Areas to look at are the tone transitions by the left eye to the shadow at hair. Tone transitions in shadow under the chin. Detail in the dress which is wiped out on B. Fine lines of the hair. Best on A, Good on C.

jerome_m

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:46 pm »

Judging by the variety of opinions above, I would say that the game is conclusive: people here can't tell which camera is which.  ::)

My opinion is that:
-I find B the worst, because of a green-yellow color balance.
-A is a bit darker and a bit more saturated than C. I think I prefer C, the skin structure seems a bit more natural. A seems to exaggerate the red colour of the cheeks as well (as brought by the make-up).

Obviously, the model is a beautiful young lady, but if you could redo the test with someone of caucasian descent and a little bit less make-up, maybe the difference would be more obvious. In any case, I always enjoy looking at beautiful young women, so feel free to test us again!  ;)

(Actually, you can even try with male models. We do have some female photographers here...)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 12:59:55 pm »

I like A also… but I could just be sucker for the redder lips?   …   and then B then C.    Pretty model, nicely shot - thanks Synn.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:07:18 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 01:04:03 pm »

A has the most pleasing color for me and the best highlights.

The green cast on B is obvious.

There's a problem with C, since the lady is bigger there.
The detail on the necklace on C is great, but the face looks the most plasticky to me from the three.

Concerning resolution I'd think C is MFDB, but again - its bigger than A and B and might fool me because of that.
Concerning colour rendition I'd think A is MFDB.

So in terms of overall look I'd say A>C>B.

torger

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »

Statistics so far:

A is best: 9 votes
B is best: 1 vote
C is best: 6 votes

A is MFDB = 6 votes
B is MFDB = 0 votes
C is MFDB = 5 votes

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 01:31:03 pm »

Hi,

A few comments:

1 - In my view the pictures are all oversharpened, but that is a question of personal taste
2 - I feel that we may have a little different reference frame. Here in Europe black hair is very infrequent, what we see is dark brown. Another place, the reference frame may be different.

So, I guess that responses may depend on where we are living.

Best regards
Erik

Statistics so far:

A is MFDB = 6 votes
B is MFDB = 0 votes
C is MFDB = 5 votes

Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »

Statistics so far:

A is MFDB = 6 votes
B is MFDB = 0 votes
C is MFDB = 5 votes

Count me out of the "best" thing… I don't like any of them… IMO, there should be a reflector to ease the shadow (beard?) on the neck out and a bit less saturation on the Credo! I only said, A=Credo, B=Canon, C=D800 which was the enquire, also said that D800 (and possibly Canon too) has been developed using IQ250 profile on C1 …piece of cake, ….what do I win?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 02:19:54 pm »

Well it would be nice if they were all the same size to start.  The third is larger to begin with.  Even without that,  comparing small internet posted pictures aren't really effected by resolution of the camera.  You'd have to look at large prints that are blown up.  That's where resolution shows its stuff.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 02:20:19 pm »

Statistics so far:

Based on the presented renderings it might look something like that. But then a ranking was not what was requested, and different processing could have generated a different outcome. So it basically says that all 3 cameras (and the lenses used) can produce a good result (especially when viewed in isolation), and color is very much a function of post capture processing.

But I'll leave final conclusions for the OP, assuming he was looking for more than just a bit of fun.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:29:31 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

MrSmith

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 02:36:52 pm »

The client would be happy with either as long as the bottom line was the same.

torger

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 02:46:50 pm »

Don't worry, in the stats I tried only to count those that actually said something definitive of what they thought. Can't guarantee I counted 100% correctly though.

I think one important factor in terms of the "MF look" is that the MFDB manufacturers have control of the rendering pipeline, ie Phase One makes Capture One.

Making a pleasing color profile part is lots of black magic, it's not an easy task. Capture One does not make it less black magic by operating its curves in RGB space (causes color shifts), so the color profile needs to be adapted for that too. The profiles adjust colors differently depending on brightness which means that to get the designed result you need to expose correctly (so the skin tones is in the appropriate range for the profile) and use the associated curve.

All this makes it hard to duplicate the result with another camera in a different software.

When it comes to studio portraits MF is not just a camera, it's a workflow. If you rent an MF camera and shoot away and you get the desired result *bam* just like that with the default settings in the software, that could be worth a lot if you haven't succeeded with your other cameras. I'm convinced that CMOS and smaller formats can be just as successful with the same concept, but it may require adjustments to CFA and profiling. Or just a different taste of the photographer.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 02:57:40 pm »

Making a pleasing color profile part is lots of black magic, it's not an easy task. Capture One does not make it less black magic by operating its curves in RGB space (causes color shifts), so the color profile needs to be adapted for that too. The profiles adjust colors differently depending on brightness which means that to get the designed result you need to expose correctly (so the skin tones is in the appropriate range for the profile) and use the associated curve.

Hi Anders,

Don't forget that the ColorEditor in CaptureOne Pro operates in HSL colorspace, and allows to save a new ICC profile that includes the tweaks made, based on a given type of exposure.

Cheers,
Bart

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 03:26:46 pm »

I think this test is a "victory" for those that say it is (very) hard to see a difference
between MFD and DSLR.

Its more important how you develop your files than which camera you use. ( regarding IQ ).

Maybe not the result the OP was looking for after reading his other posts.
Willow Photography

bjanes

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 03:34:40 pm »

Statistics so far:

A is MFDB = 6 votes
B is MFDB = 0 votes
C is MFDB = 5 votes

I would have to go with the prevailing opinion and rate A as best and B as worst, but I think that all are too contrasty. The skin of the forehead and malar areas of all show specular granularity, perhaps from the harsh lighting. Shot B shows blocked up hair and blown facial highlights. There are really too many uncontrolled variables to allow a definite conclusion on the merits of the different systems. If A is the MFDB, I don't think the OP is getting a good return on his investment. With proper lighting and processing, I think that any of the systems could produce a good result.

Bill

henrikfoto

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 04:05:45 pm »

Maybe it's time for the truth, Synn?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 04:10:14 pm »

Maybe it's time for the truth, Synn?

Like, they were all shot with a GoPro Hero 3 Black?

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up