Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When in Moab, Wait for the Light  (Read 1082 times)

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
When in Moab, Wait for the Light
« on: February 11, 2014, 12:14:28 am »

I'm not sharing this image because it's a stellar photograph.  Rather, I want to impart some knowledge from my perspective and experience as a resident photographer in Moab.  I hope some of you find it useful.

I made this image 24 minutes after sunset.  As you can see, the sandstone fins have a rather lovely glow to them.  Here in Canyon Country, it isn't uncommon to witness this 20-30 minutes before sunrise and 20-30 minutes after sunset.  It doesn't last long and you've got to be set up and ready to go or you'll probably miss it.  I've actually seen similar light in the mountains but it seems more prominent in the desert.  I regularly see photographers pack up their gear the very moment the sun has set.  Don't! Stay put for a while and you might just be rewarded with some pretty amazing glow light.  I enjoy working with this light for a number of reasons.  Obviously, it's quite a lovely light but it's also fairly low contrast, often allowing you to record the entire dynamic range of the scene in one exposure.

Good luck on your next trip to Canyon Country! 

Praki

Re: When in Moab, Wait for the Light
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 12:30:30 am »

Appreciate the good advice. The light on the rocks is lovely. I wish the sky had some of the sunset hues.

chris cramer

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:19 am »

Appreciate the good advice. The light on the rocks is lovely. I wish the sky had some of the sunset hues.

yep, that's usually what i stick around to look for which unfortunately fades FAST as soon as the sun is behind the horizon.  love the pinks in the sky.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 03:56:07 am »

Good advice, and a good photo too.

francois

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:37:00 am »

The advice is also valid in the Alps and other mountainous regions although the glow is usually not as red!
I cannot recount how many times I thought that it was over and almost packed up my gear and finally made my best images of the day, well after sunset…
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up