Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do changes to "Master" carry over to Virtual Copy  (Read 5447 times)

Steve House

Re: Do changes to "Master" carry over to Virtual Copy
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 12:28:10 pm »

Final summary; maybe:
RAW data,  if this is "edited" without first making a VC, those edits will NOT appear in any subsequent VC's made from the RAW data.

If you want the first "edits", e.g. spotting to stick for subsequent VC's you first need to make a VC (#1) with the spotting edits.  Subsequent VC's made from VC #1 will contain the spotting plus whatever, e.g., Hue VC #2 (with spotting) VC going back to VC #1 (with spotting edits) plus Tone Curve VC #3 (but without Hue).  If you want spotting plus Tone Curve plus Contraast you take VC #3, make VC#4 and then make Contrast edits.

So how do you get spotting plus Hue plus Tone Curve plus Contrast?

No no
When you 'edit' the raw file in LR the file itself is not changed but rather an entry describing the edits is created in the database.  When you create a virtual copy, a copy of the edit instructions is copied into another 'slot' in the database.  Now there are two database records pointing to the original master raw file.  You don't need 4 VC to get what you're asking for, only one.  On the raw file 'master' do your spotting, adjust the hue, adjust the curve, and tweak the contrast.  Now make your first VC.  That VC will inherit all of the changes you have made to the master up to this point in time.  Now go to your master, change its curve again and covert it to monochrome.  THOSE changes will not affect the existing VC; it will still be in colour with the curve that it had when the VC was created. If your intended end result is just one image with a bunch of edits applied to it you don't need any VC at all, you just do all your editing with the original. (Since it's non-destructive you don't to worry about screwing up the raw file - if you don't like the result simply reset and start over, the actual file itself is never touched as long as you stay in LR.)  VCs are for when you want to produce multiple versions of the image, like say one in colour and the other in monochrome, so you would make a VC, then edit the master for the colour version and edit the VC to make the monochrome version.

BenMm

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 12:52:12 pm »

So here is the scenario:

If you crop and spot a file, then create a VC does that include the cropping and spotting or does the VC only apply to the underlying Raw image? 

You have already received several correct answers.  Here is the short summary:
Once you create a VC it is completely independent of the Master.  They are then just two image files in your Library.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 01:24:47 pm »

Here is the short summary:
Once you create a VC it is completely independent of the Master.  They are then just two image files in your Library.

Except for the ability to create snapshots which ARE exchanged and exists in both records...which was the point I was trying to make, you CAN share settings between a master and a VC via snapshots.

wlemann

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 02:28:03 pm »

I know this horse is dead and ready to come back but one more whack.  Let's take this to one case-the one I really meant at the beginning.  I want to spot and not not have to do it over whether with a low contast version, high contrast version or b+w version.  so what i am talking about is branching from the spot corrected point.

BenMm

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 02:34:28 pm »

Except for the ability to create snapshots which ARE exchanged and exists in both records...which was the point I was trying to make, you CAN share settings between a master and a VC via snapshots.

Thanks for the clarification; I did not know this.  It is not in the Adobe LR 5 pdf manual (or I can't find it).  Also, the same manual is missing the paragraph on making virtual copies (Create Virtual Copies).  It should be on page 71.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 03:19:06 pm »

I want to spot and not not have to do it over whether with a low contast version, high contrast version or b+w version.  so what i am talking about is branching from the spot corrected point.
You can always copy and paste those spot repairs from one image to the other. You don't have to start from scratch. Or spot the master, then make VC's. Workflow, timing important!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 04:37:26 pm »

Final summary; maybe:
RAW data,  if this is "edited" without first making a VC, those edits will NOT appear in any subsequent VC's made from the RAW data.

If you want the first "edits", e.g. spotting to stick for subsequent VC's you first need to make a VC (#1) with the spotting edits.  Subsequent VC's made from VC #1 will contain the spotting plus whatever, e.g., Hue VC #2 (with spotting) VC going back to VC #1 (with spotting edits) plus Tone Curve VC #3 (but without Hue).  If you want spotting plus Tone Curve plus Contraast you take VC #3, make VC#4 and then make Contrast edits.

So how do you get spotting plus Hue plus Tone Curve plus Contrast?
Sounds like you are trying to make VC work like snapshots. I use VC more to try variations.  I can always go back in history to get past basic edits before a new VCR. U may want to read up on snapshots.

I guess I'm not quite seeing your workflow goals.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 09:19:40 am »

No no
When you 'edit' the raw file in LR the file itself is not changed but rather an entry describing the edits is created in the database.  When you create a virtual copy, a copy of the edit instructions is copied into another 'slot' in the database.  Now there are two database records pointing to the original master raw file.  You don't need 4 VC to get what you're asking for, only one.  On the raw file 'master' do your spotting, adjust the hue, adjust the curve, and tweak the contrast.  Now make your first VC.  That VC will inherit all of the changes you have made to the master up to this point in time.  Now go to your master, change its curve again and covert it to monochrome.  THOSE changes will not affect the existing VC; it will still be in colour with the curve that it had when the VC was created. If your intended end result is just one image with a bunch of edits applied to it you don't need any VC at all, you just do all your editing with the original. (Since it's non-destructive you don't to worry about screwing up the raw file - if you don't like the result simply reset and start over, the actual file itself is never touched as long as you stay in LR.)  VCs are for when you want to produce multiple versions of the image, like say one in colour and the other in monochrome, so you would make a VC, then edit the master for the colour version and edit the VC to make the monochrome version.

I just don't think the OP has a basic understanding of how Lightroom works. Steve's explanation above is about as clear as it can be expressed (except that I would not use the term "master").
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up