Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing large unmounted, unsprayed Canvas prints...  (Read 1974 times)

mg73

Storing large unmounted, unsprayed Canvas prints...
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:15:48 am »

I need to figure out how to store a number of large, unmounted canvas prints.  I'm in a bit of a bind because I'll be moving soon and I'm going to sell my Canon ipf8400 printer.  I won't be able to get it out of my house without standing it on end, so I'm going to have to use up all the ink before selling it.  It's got about 2/3 of the ink left in all channels except the gray channel which is giving me a low warning message.  So I'm going to buy another gray cartridge and then print out as many large canvas prints as I can to use up all the ink.  Otherwise I'm going to waste all that ink and just drain it.

So my question is what's the best way to store probably15-20 large canvas prints.  Most of them will be in the 40 by 50-60 inch range.  Keep in mind that I'll be moving in the next few months.  I don't want to have to spray and stretch mount them all all on stretcher bars because that would be a pain to store as well as a big expense.  I'm printing on Epson Exhibition Canvas which is a very thick canvas.  When the prints come out, I let them dry and just loosely roll them picture side out and they are rigid enough to stand up on their end by themselves with just a loose rubber band.  I can even nest a number of them together.  So do you think they will stay this way ok for 6 mos ?

Any thoughts?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Storing large unmounted, unsprayed Canvas prints...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:58:56 am »

I store all of mine rolled up face in.  I use a couple of spring clips to hold top and bottom from unrolling.  Nothing on the inside.

They need to stand up vertical or eventually the weight of the canvas will flatten out the roll or if they get stacked on you of each other. 

Loose roll. 

Coated I treat the same way but they seem to tighten up over time which just puts a tight curl into the print.  Still stretch fine later. 

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

framah

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:57 am »

Go get a Sonotube that they use to pour concrete pilings.  Find one around 8" or 10" diameter and once you have rolled them and they are rolled with a protective layer of paper around the whole bunch, put them into the tube and close off the ends.

This way, there is no chance of them being dinged at any time.

If you aren't sure what it is, google sonotube and you'll see.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:40:38 pm »

You may want to use glassine interleaving paper between individual works.

Uline sells this by the roll in various widths.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1973/Glassine-Paper

FIWI, I read recently this is also a recommended way to store and transport paper coated with Glamour II.
Pages: [1]   Go Up