Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How should I price a used 8 mos old ipf 8400 with no ink?  (Read 2329 times)

mg73

How should I price a used 8 mos old ipf 8400 with no ink?
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:59:17 am »

I'm going to have to sell my 8 month old Canon ipf 8400.  I'm going to have to use up all the ink because it will have to be stood up on end to get it down the stairway from the second floor room where it lives.  I had a mover look at it and there is no other way to get it down the stairs.  Therefore I'll have to drain the ink.  It's got about 2/3 of the ink left in all channels except the gray channel which is low and giving me a warning to replace it soon.

So how should I price this excellent condition ipf 8400 with no ink?  I'll be looking for a local sale in the Boston area.

Pete Berry

Re: How should I price a used 8 mos old ipf 8400 with no ink?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:35:44 pm »

I'm going to have to sell my 8 month old Canon ipf 8400.  I'm going to have to use up all the ink because it will have to be stood up on end to get it down the stairway from the second floor room where it lives.  I had a mover look at it and there is no other way to get it down the stairs.  Therefore I'll have to drain the ink.  It's got about 2/3 of the ink left in all channels except the gray channel which is low and giving me a warning to replace it soon.

So how should I price this excellent condition ipf 8400 with no ink?  I'll be looking for a local sale in the Boston area.

First, you don't haver to "use up" all the ink to move the printer, and you can't properly empty the heads all the plumbing that way, leaving one huge internal mess when it's moved.  All iPF series have a "move printer" utility that purges the heads and lines - one for moves where printer is not tipped over to move, and one for your case. It will use seveal hundred mls of ink, then you remove the carts and waste cart.

Second, I would never buy a used large format printer without proof in my presence of no warning messages, normal nozzle check, and a test print or two. An "unproved" printer, IMO, is worth no more than the discounted value of the ink and other supplies. The printing forums are littered with used large format printer horror stories where the repair costs and  hassle to often end with only a boat anchor.

So I recommend finding a buyer first...blow them away with a huge print, then do the purge.

Pete

Pages: [1]   Go Up